Jos Luhukay "We must protect the players"

Jos Luhukay.jpg

Owls manager Jos Luhukay says it is imperative that his players are protected with injury issues hampering progress since his arrival.

The Dutchman has endured a challenging beginning to his tenure as Wednesday boss but remains positive over what he has seen from the available players at the club.

Luhukay named a much-changed squad for the defeat to Millwall in midweek and says he must protect the players for the weeks to come, with a difficult schedule on the horizon.

He explained: “We have a very intensive and hard period and must look to what players we have for the next game.

“Coming up we have Aston Villa, one of the top sides in the league, Swansea in the FA Cup, Bristol City and days later Ipswich Town.

“The games follow in a very close distance so we must protect the players.

“We have a small squad available, we have to play many games and not every player can play to 100% after three days recovery and come back to give his best performance.

“We must keep an eye every training, every day, monitoring the physical situation of the players. We know we have a lot of injury problems.”

The injury concerns of key first team squad members has given a chance for others to step up to the mark, including those from the Under-23 squad.

But given the limited game-time for these players prior to Jos’ arrival, the manager says there is plenty to consider before naming a team.

“We also have the situation where some of the players in the last six months, have not played a lot of games, so they have not a lot of competition and limited match situation,” he added.

“Now, I’m six weeks here and these players who now play were not playing so often before so it is a new situation for them.

“The intensity is very hard, we have many games coming up and I must look to who can play in each game.

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Jos Luhukay.jpg

Owls manager Jos Luhukay says it is imperative that his players are protected with injury issues hampering progress since his arrival.

The Dutchman has endured a challenging beginning to his tenure as Wednesday boss but remains positive over what he has seen from the available players at the club.

Luhukay named a much-changed squad for the defeat to Millwall in midweek and says he must protect the players for the weeks to come, with a difficult schedule on the horizon.

He explained: “We have a very intensive and hard period and must look to what players we have for the next game.

“Coming up we have Aston Villa, one of the top sides in the league, Swansea in the FA Cup, Bristol City and days later Ipswich Town.

“The games follow in a very close distance so we must protect the players.

“We have a small squad available, we have to play many games and not every player can play to 100% after three days recovery and come back to give his best performance.

“We must keep an eye every training, every day, monitoring the physical situation of the players. We know we have a lot of injury problems.”

The injury concerns of key first team squad members has given a chance for others to step up to the mark, including those from the Under-23 squad.

But given the limited game-time for these players prior to Jos’ arrival, the manager says there is plenty to consider before naming a team.

“We also have the situation where some of the players in the last six months, have not played a lot of games, so they have not a lot of competition and limited match situation,” he added.

“Now, I’m six weeks here and these players who now play were not playing so often before so it is a new situation for them.

“The intensity is very hard, we have many games coming up and I must look to who can play in each game.

Feel sorry for jos.

What an absolute crock of sh/t he’s been given to work with.

Given we have this horrendous injury/fitness situation, why are we not using the loan market to ease some of the strain on the remaining squad? It's great we're giving some of the kids a chance but thrusting them into the cut and thrust of a relegation battle and asking them to play two games a week may be asking a bit much. Granted any loan player may not have great fitness levels when they arrive, and it would just be a short term solution, but are we not desperate for a few bodies in the squad to give our already knackered players a break? Who knows, that way we might even be able to select an XI featuring players in their correct positions, and stand a chance of winning a few games and get a bit more confidence to boot.

16 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Given we have this horrendous injury/fitness situation, why are we not using the loan market to ease some of the strain on the remaining squad? It's great we're giving some of the kids a chance but thrusting them into the cut and thrust of a relegation battle and asking them to play two games a week may be asking a bit much. Granted any loan player may not have great fitness levels when they arrive, and it would just be a short term solution, but are we not desperate for a few bodies in the squad to give our already knackered players a break? Who knows, that way we might even be able to select an XI featuring players in their correct positions, and stand a chance of winning a few games and get a bit more confidence to boot.

Mebbe because the loan market shuts at the same time as the transfer window , bro. I think the only loans that can be arranged outside of the transfer windows are emergency loans for goalkeepers. 

One one club can't manage to play three ganes a week. 

Wednesday started this nonsense with cc and its carried on with jl. 

Every other club manage to play three times a week. 

Let's sort out those with genuine injuries from those wednesday are refusing to play because of contractual obligations regarding appearance bonuses. 

We have players out with non descript injuries. Players out longer than someone with two broken legs. 

I suspect that jl has been told to keep away from these issues. He has to do what he's told and knew the mess that wednesday were in before he came. 

It was always obvious that the george Hirst contract dispute was made up ad he's already under contract. How many of the other issues and injuries have been made up so they can continue to wield excessive and inappropriate levels of power and control 

1 minute ago, Mrmason69 said:

Let's sort out those with genuine injuries from those wednesday are refusing to play because of contractual obligations regarding appearance bonuses. 

We have players out with non descript injuries. Players out longer than someone with two broken legs. 

I suspect that jl has been told to keep away from these issues. He has to do what he's told and knew the mess that wednesday were in before he came. 

It was always obvious that the george Hirst contract dispute was made up ad he's already under contract. How many of the other issues and injuries have been made up so they can continue to wield excessive and inappropriate levels of power and control 

I thought the club have denied players are being stopped from playing due to contract bonuses?

3 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

3 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Absolute nonsense...you were saying FF was not injured a few days after ACL operation...bore someone else on another forum troll

The current Sheffield Wednesday squad

Keepers : Westwood, Dawson, Kean, Wildsmith

Defenders : Hunt, Van Aken, Loovens, Lees, Baker, Ogrady, Neilson, Pudil, Thorniley, Venancio, Fox, Penney

Midfield : Jones, Lee, Butterfield, Bannan, Matias, Reach, Boyd, Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Wallace, Clare, Abdi, Stobbs, 

Strikers : Fletcher, Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall, Nuihu, Joao, Forestieri, +maybe Hirst

Of the above squad that i know of Westwood, Lees, Thorniley, Van Aken, Lee, Bannan, Matias, Abdi, Fletcher, Winnall, Hooper, Forestieri are all injured

Kean and Penney are also on loan with Winnall falling into both injured and on loan

So that leaves us a squad of 2 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, 3 (maybe 4 with Hirst) or 21 players 

The reason i have done this is I keep see we only have 12 fit players but we don't we have 21 (22) yes 5 of these are from the development teams this season but that's what they are for to be DEVELOPED into first team players. We are short up front so play a 3-5-1-1 or a 4-5-1 we have the players but what seems to be the new excuse if its down to player fitness. Players should be able to last at least 70 minutes in a game if not then we need to be releasing these players and telling them to find alternative employment.

Yes the injury crisis is back but what is more embarrassing for the club is the amount of players returning to fitness and getting injured with their first few training session or a warm up match situation. One or two is part and parcel but virtually every player that is back training after injury has a set back. This from the outside looking in says clearly the players are either not fit to return to training or the injuries are not getting treated correctly.

1 hour ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Or not as seems to be the case with Sean Clare, brought back from a loan at Gillingham where he played 21 games in 3 months since his return on 1st January he has played a grand total of 93 minutes football.

If he was not going to get no game time then he would have been better staying at Gillingham and playing another 20+ games for them to aid his development. We have had 8 games and 3 cup games he could play in and out of 720 minutes of football not including injury time he has played just 92 but we have no numbers and no players. Like most who saw him against Derby something about this just does not make any sense.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Or not as seems to be the case with Sean Clare, brought back from a loan at Gillingham where he played 21 games in 3 months since his return on 1st January he has played a grand total of 93 minutes football.

If he was not going to get no game time then he would have been better staying at Gillingham and playing another 20+ games for them to aid his development. We have had 8 games and 3 cup games he could play in and out of 720 minutes of football not including injury time he has played just 92 but we have no numbers and no players. Like most who saw him against Derby something about this just does not make any sense.

How can he play in cup games when he's cup-tied.  If you can manage to grasp that simple fact, why should I give anything you post credence.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

How can he play in cup games when he's cup-tied.  If you can manage to grasp that simple fact, why should I give anything you post credence.

Read what i put did I not mention that he could play in the cup - can you grasp the simple aspect of reading a comment being slagging someone off 8 x 90 minute = 720 minutes 

Have I lost you or an I going too quick

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Mebbe because the loan market shuts at the same time as the transfer window , bro. I think the only loans that can be arranged outside of the transfer windows are emergency loans for goalkeepers. 

Holy cr@p, they scrapped the emergency loan window?! Surely that was tailor made for situations like this - I'd certainly say we are in an emergency situation! More fantastic meddling from FIFA along with the VAR debacle, wish those idiots in Switzerland would keep their fantastic ideas to themselves...

• Like 1