Rotation rubbish

sws

I've supported wednesday since being 9yrs old in 1973. I've seen a lot of football over the years . In all that time I can't ever recall any team being so decimated  by injeries  to the extent we allegedly are . I say alledgely  cause frankly I don't believe it. Resting and rotating players ?  I was boxing albeit it charity fights in my 40's.  we're talking about young men in their 20s . And I might add not ordinary young men but fit profesionaly cached ones . With physios, sports scientists,  nutritionists and doctors. regardless of what you think of our training facilities  there light years better than any club in the 1970s and arguably many in the 1980s. And seriously I am supposed to believe that a young fit man in his 20s can't play football more than once a week cause he needs a rest . One word testicles !!!

7 minutes ago, sws said:

I've supported wednesday since being 9yrs old in 1973. I've seen a lot of football over the years . In all that time I can't ever recall any team being so decimated  by injeries  to the extent we allegedly are . I say alledgely  cause frankly I don't believe it. Resting and rotating players ?  I was boxing albeit it charity fights in my 40's.  we're talking about young men in their 20s . And I might add not ordinary young men but fit profesionaly cached ones . With physios, sports scientists,  nutritionists and doctors. regardless of what you think of our training facilities  there light years better than any club in the 1970s and arguably many in the 1980s. And seriously I am supposed to believe that a young fit man in his 20s can't play football more than once a week cause he needs a rest . One word testicles !!!

It all goes back to a PROPER pre-season.

Get players fit at the beginning, and keep up that fitness level, then players do not get the type of injures we have had this season.

14 minutes ago, sws said:

I tend to agree with you but the sports scientists think differently ......stats I think show that if you play 3 games in 8 days your fitness levels dip and your more likely to pick up injuries and managers do seem to love stuff like that these days .........though with the amount of injuries we  have anyway i'm not convinced we've cracked how to use the info properly .

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, sws said:

I dont think its about rest, more the fact Jos is down to the bare bones, and needs to try and protect his players from more injuries .

• Thanks 1

Personally, I love a bit of the old rotation. It makes perfect sense to me. Especially when you have the injury crisis we do; it's imperative that you manage very delicately the remaining squad.

That wasn't the issue last night though. We got beat last night - or rather (as there's never any guarantees with any side you pick), the plan failed - because we didn't play with any recognized striker until we went behind and were chasing the game.

You quite simply can't rest every single striker you've got. That just makes no sense to me. Not as bad as resting every goalie you've got, but certainly as bad as resting every defender. Or, perhaps to allow for the possibility that a 'non-striker' could play in the forward-most positions, you can't start a game without any forward-playing players on the pitch at least one of which is capable of receiving the ball with his back to goal and laying it off. Not unless they've got blistering pace, which we don't even have in our squad when everyone's fit, so we certainly didn't have it yesterday.

Millwall are at best a competent side, so the pressure was only ever going to be proportionate to that, but even so, we did ourselves no favours by setting up such that the ball would just keep coming back. You play this way only when you want to stress-test your defence, but it's otherwise not a fair test.

I have no idea what Jos was thinking. I do sincerely hope that he, at least, did, and that things just didn't work out. He's been here 10 games and I think he's done very well, but last night was just plain weird. Let's all hope it's a one-off.

1 hour ago, sws said:

I don't think many of us can recall a situation even half as bad as the current injury crisis.

I don't believe it's helpful to use words like "alleged" in relation to those injuries, it only fuels the conspiracy theorists and most of us prefer to deal in reality and fact. 

I'm a similar age to you but I think we have to accept the game of football and the physical demands it places on professionals is in no way comparable to football of the past. Although I'll admit the young un's today don't have to cope with a good Souness tackle straight through the back of you.

They are fit enough to play 3 games in 8 days to a certain standard. But if they are playing against players of equal ability that have been rested in the right way they will not be able to compete to the required level.  Add into the mix that fatigue leads to being off balance and slow reaction times thus the chance of injury is increased drastically.

It makes sense under our circumstances to be ultra cautious.

The thing is, it's not just about them being able to play an entire match, it's about managing injuries. We have two fit strikers - Frankly, The more time they have on the pitch the more risk they're at to be injured, wether it's just pulling a muscle on a horrible wet surface or a dodgy tackle.

As much as I hated starting with no strikers, I'd rather do that and go for a draw or a cheeky win than risk getting either Nuhiu or Joao injured and being forced to play with no strikers when we actually need them. If Rhodes was fit and there were still no strikers in the starting 11 then I'd be angry, for now I'm just resigned to watching boring football. 

We simply cannot be going into games with the mindset someone may get injured , We need to collect points to keep us safe from relegation better to get them sooner rather than later . The Millwall formation just invited trouble and they didn’t need any encouragement to go at us , it was too negative , we must have been practicing attack v defence in training cos that’s what it sounded like . 

3 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We simply cannot be going into games with the mindset someone may get injured , We need to collect points to keep us safe from relegation better to get them sooner rather than later . The Millwall formation just invited trouble and they didn’t need any encouragement to go at us , it was too negative , we must have been practicing attack v defence in training cos that’s what it sounded like . 

your right but it nearly worked wildsmith didn't really have to make a save and but for two catastrophic errors by 2 individuals that jos cant factor into the plan then he'd have pulled off a result . 

Just now, torryowl said:

your right but it nearly worked wildsmith didn't really have to make a save and but for two catastrophic errors by 2 individuals that jos cant factor into the plan then he'd have pulled off a result . 

Constant Pressure usually tells  eventually and did , we simply cannot be relied upon to make no defensive errors . If that had been the away leg in a cup tie or we had no fit strikers then fair enough could have understood it more . 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Weve got an old squad, that werent trained properly in the summer.

Injuries were inevitable.

1 hour ago, e6owl said:

The thing is, it's not just about them being able to play an entire match, it's about managing injuries. We have two fit strikers - Frankly, The more time they have on the pitch the more risk they're at to be injured, wether it's just pulling a muscle on a horrible wet surface or a dodgy tackle.

As much as I hated starting with no strikers, I'd rather do that and go for a draw or a cheeky win than risk getting either Nuhiu or Joao injured and being forced to play with no strikers when we actually need them. If Rhodes was fit and there were still no strikers in the starting 11 then I'd be angry, for now I'm just resigned to watching boring football. 

"When we actually need them"? We needed them at Millwall!  

Joao was rested on Saturday but stayed on the bench,  and Nuhiu has hardly had a strenuous season of constant football.  If Jos felt they needed protection,  then why not just give them half a game each? Reach probably needed a rest as well, but it made no sense to play without a striker and the only real attacking threat from midfield. The result and toothless performance were obvious from the moment that team was announced. 

If the strikers play on Saturday are they both going to be rested again at Swansea so that we can bore the nation whilst effectively withdrawing from the cup? 

25 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Constant Pressure usually tells  eventually and did , we simply cannot be relied upon to make no defensive errors . If that had been the away leg in a cup tie or we had no fit strikers then fair enough could have understood it more . 

I didn't go so can only go on what I heard on commentary but it didn't sound like we were under constant pressure ,we dominated possession all be it in our own half , millwall created very little .......jos cant set up a side with the fear that the players will give away 2 stupid goals .he seems a very methodical type who will have drilled into them in what they had to do ,that 2 of them failed to do it and committed schoolboy errors is something that he cant factor for . .......with out the errors millwall would have  more desperate the longer it stayed 0-1 and as they did so then would have been the time to bring on reach&joao to hit them on the break but sadly for jos two players scuppered the plan . 

No forwards and setting your stall out for 0-0 at Millwall is frankly not on. If any other club had done that would have been glad they lost for such anti-football tactics.

Of course too early for Jos Lukakys job to be under pressure but if I was chairman and any more off the wall tactics would have to ask him what the hell he is playing at.

1 hour ago, e6owl said:

They might as well be injured if you don’t pick either of them.