Forget about the Premier League.

Forget it. Even the thought of it. Lets drop the idea that we should be challenging up near the top of the league. Even with a fully fit squad. The Premier League ship has sailed and we've got a serious rebuild on our hands. It will take a few years and I hope Chansiri and the club has a proper plan in place to achieve it. The boom or bust approach failed and we have to deal with the mess it has left us in now.

Firstly the attitude to player recruitment needs to change. I don't know what our transfer budget will be going forward, I doubt we will spend on the same scale we have in the past. Quite frankly, I hope we don't, we need a more sustainable approach. We've witnessed how badly spending big can go and we can't make the same mistakes again. Younger, hungrier, energetic players needed. More in the Winnall/Reach mould less in the Fletcher/Jones mould.

Secondly we need to sell. Bannan and Hooper for me the ones clubs will take a punt on. Both good players but both could generate decent fees which could be used to improve the areas which need strengthening most notably defence and out wide. Bannan it would be a shame to lose. Not arsed about Hooper, great player but poor injury record and he can't stay fit. Can't be carrying players like that going forward, we have too many of them. Unfortunately we are stuck with the likes of Fletcher, Matias, Hutch, Lee and Abdi for a bit longer. Nobody will want to take a risk on them particularly with the wages they are on. Just have to hope they somehow find some consistency with their fitness.

Thirdly get rid of the deadwood where possible. Loovens and Wallace bye bye, been decent servants for us but this season both been well and truly found out. Not good enough anymore and I despair if we renew their contracts. Fox, Palmer, Nuhiu all need to be looked at moving on if anyone is willing to take them.

Fourthly RECRUIT WISELY. Lets finally sort the defence out, proper fullbacks and a centre half. Defence has let us down on countless occasions this season. Only Pudil and Venancio can be given credit and Thorniley who is still young. But still I'd be hesitant to give them two new deals at the end of the season. Pace is a must, we lack it so much and need to add it to our side. Out wide and upfront, it makes such a difference. 

This will take a few years to sort out and hopefully the fans will have the patience and understand it needs to be done. I pray Forestieri comes back the same player as building a side around him might quicken the process. But when players have had a season out sometimes they don't come back the same player. I have doubts if Jos is really the man or he is just a stop gap until the summer to install some discipline into a side low on confidence. I'm very skeptical about him so far, the Derby game filled me with real confidence but every other performance in the League hasn't been great. We can polish it as much as we want but I think some managers would have got more out of what he has available.

Interesting times ahead. Bit of a pointless thread but just felt like venting. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kanye West said:

All this commotion over losing one game, sheesh..

TBF it is probably based on several months of everything going South.

In saying that Sally is a bit of a drama queen (not that he's wrong with what he's saying) so who knows.

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'm not 100% convinced Mr Chansiri knows what has gone wrong and why - possibly because he's not a football man (or is relatively new to it). Until he does and accepts it, I don't really see the improvements required to win promotion.

Be reyt...

Seriously, I have absolute no idea what the future is going to bring.

Worrying times.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Be reyt...

Seriously, I have absolute no idea what the future is going to bring.

Worrying times.

When Mr Chansiri took over and admitted he knew nothing about football, it's his sons interest, and he had a decent wedge to spend to try and get us to the Premier League, I always anticipated it was going to be one hell of a ride. Enjoyed the ups so far (as far as you can coming so close!), now to buckle up for a couple of lows I suspect. Least it's not boring!

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

TBF it is probably based on several months of everything going South.

In saying that Sally is a bit of a drama queen (not that he's wrong with what he's saying) so who knows.

Been saying it for a few months mate. My point is I notice on here and twitter fans have this attitude that 'WE MUST BE WINNING LOOK HOW MUCH WE SPENT WE GOT TO THE PLAY OFF FINAL THAT ONE TIME'. There is a belief that has set in amongst the fanbase that just because we have a rich chairman and we spent 10 million on Jordan Rhodes we should be winning every game. Guilty of it myself, I get frustrated seeing how much money we've wasted, but we need to realise that mistakes have been made and this will take time to sort out. 

I'm just saying what I think needs to be done. Don't understand why you turn most threads into a point scoring exercise.

Lots of good valid points, agree with most to be fair although JL has not Seen these guys play and I'd like to see his management of a fully fit squad, sadly I doubt we will see this. I think our joss is the man for the job and he's done okay for me, barring last nights debacle and I have to say it was a little strange. 

But the PL is miles away agreed. 

I agree with the OP, especially regarding what our transfer policy should be. However, according to a recent survey, 70.14% said they wanted our 'family' to extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League, so....

"If your answer's there I'll give you the money myself."

image.jpeg

Edited by Samurai Blue