Resting players

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

Jos says he's managing the players to keep them healthy. I'm all for it. 

The only problem I see with it is, if the players were fit last night and he just rested them and we lost when we need points against a winnable team, what if they get injured this week in training? We won't have them anyway. In the situation we are in we need to be winning games and I would have thought that winning against Millwall (playing well as they are) would be easier than winning against Swansea or Villa?

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

Jos says he's managing the players to keep them healthy. I'm all for it. 

Play the best team every game; especially against so called weaker teams in order to get 3 points and move away from the relegation places. 

Lower league Prem team managers (with a brain) often fielded weaker teams against Chelsea, Arsenal, etc away.  You’d lose anyway..save the best team for games you can win..

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

Millwall have played 3 games in 11 days, and 10 players have started all 3 games. 1 change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me think managers and coaches try to be too clever at times with all this squad rotation and game management malarkey .

Carlos Carvahaul was certainly guilty of that and it seems new bloke is as well.

Just play your best side and worry about next match day after.

No wonder people getting pis.sed off with modern football when you are paying high prices and see a half strength side a lot og games.

Bang on - don’t think Wednesdayites hve heard of squad rotation

We’ve got a threadbare squad now and folk are getting annoyed at us not being able to play our ‘best’ 11 every game (whatever that is by the way, we’ve hardly been ‘consistent’).

Cut Jos some slack for Christ sake for his selections at the moment - most of them his hand is forced - We cannot afford anymore injuries. 

Joao didnt play much against Swansea and was exceptional against Derby. His confidence must have been high after that which is what strikers thrive on. He hasn't exactly played that much football over the last couple of seasons so I am bemused by his resting. Even if he had played 60 minutes he would have given Millwall something to think about.

7 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Play the best team every game; especially against so called weaker teams in order to get 3 points and move away from the relegation places. 

Lower league Prem team managers (with a brain) often fielded weaker teams against Chelsea, Arsenal, etc away.  You’d lose anyway..save the best team for games you can win..

This isn't the premier league, this is the championship where literally anyone can beat anyone. We did just beat Derby 8 days ago if you'd like to remember?

If you flip your way of thinking, this was arguably the weakest team we'll play between the Derby game last week and Ipswich at home on the 6th March. So maybe Jos felt he could rest players against 'lesser' opposition and still come away with a result. 

It backfired due to the result, however I don't think there's a need for the overreaction on here. This is still a learning curve for Jos, he's learning about the league and the teams in this league.

End of the day though, if resting players least nights means that we go and beat Villa on saturday and scrape through against Swansea then i'm sure our fans would take that.

can you imagine if carlos did something like this?

I'm sorry but jos is to blame & people are just making excuses for him, starting with 0 strikers but having 2 on the bench... also all our in form players also on bench! 

we've been quick to praise Jos recently, it works both ways, I blame his team selection & tactics for last night 100%

anyway it's done now, let's see if we can put in a performance on Saturday then this will soon be forgotten

Don’t understand him not starting Joao last night, played well against Derby, rested against Swansea so surely he would have been fresh enough to start against Millwall. Last night imo was a very winnable game where our better players should have started and if Jos does need to rest some do it against Villa. Clare also did well against Derby and deserved to start last night, his attacking runs where missed last night. 

Resting players so they're fully fit for their drubbing on Saturday... Doesn't quite make sense for me. I'd have weighed it up and thought we'd be more inclined to get a result last night than on Saturday. So play the players (after most of them had the day off on Saturday) that will win you the game and take a view on it for Saturday... 

Not hard is it. Go full pelt for the one you have a chance of winning. The way we've done it pretty much guarantees us 0 points from the week. 

Ludicrous team selection

• Like 1

Not playing a recognised striker is pushing it I guess. 

However, if you put yourself in Jos’ shoes this guy has been bang up against it since he got here - he’s not armed with much to fight with but yet he’s expected to come out swinging. 

Him being cautious / defensive / whatever is his chosen way to keep himself in a job really. 

1 minute ago, ramone said:

Resting players so they're fully fit for their drubbing on Saturday... Doesn't quite make sense for me. I'd have weighed it up and thought we'd be more inclined to get a result last night than on Saturday. So play the players (after most of them had the day off on Saturday) that will win you the game and take a view on it for Saturday... 

Not hard is it. Go full pelt for the one you have a chance of winning. The way we've done it pretty much guarantees us 0 points from the week. 

Ludicrous team selection

So we have no chance on Saturday like we did v Derby

lol

24 minutes ago, vulva said:

Millwall have played 3 games in 11 days, and 10 players have started all 3 games. 1 change. 

Exactly.

I've always been against the idea that you need to rest players. Sides at the top keep their best 11 most weeks. It's a cop out. Nobody can tell me that Joao couldn't manage at least a half today. Nobody can tell me 21 year old Sean Clare couldn't play the full 90 tonight.