Few things we learnt tonight

Whilst it’s kind of impossible to condone starting with no recognised striker on the pitch, in the interests of balance;

1. We don’t know who was struggling after the last game or who has a slight injury or who is ill or who transgressed the strict turn up on time policy. (Surely one of these must apply to João as I think we all felt sure he was being rested for this game)

for example, Pudil would be Jos’ first name on the team sheet based on current form if he was fit and raring to go. 

2. Just because Millwall are not the most fashionable side and came up last season. Let’s just consider a few points :

a) they are above us in the table 

b) we still have most of our players out injured / unavailable and can’t take chances with players who are 50/50 as we need them in coming weeks 

c) they have not lost at home for months - and in that time have beaten the pigs + Middlesbrough with full strength sides and held good sides like Wolves, Cardiff, Derby and Preston to draws. 

So not sure who thought our scratch side - whoever he chose from those available would go and turn them over.  

I think many on here could see some logic to starting defensive and bringing on better subs and at half time I was not complaining. 

Teams lose away games. 

Teams with massive injury problems lose more away games than most. 

There are often reasons we are not privy to why a player may not be on the pitch. 

A win v derby does not make Jos a genius and a narrow defeat where we took the lead away at Millwall does not make him an idiot. 

Sorry if im repeating / stealing other peoples points but it made me personally feel better about last night typing that out. 

:luhukay:

3 minutes ago, matlockbathowl said:

Whilst it’s kind of impossible to condone starting with no recognised striker on the pitch, in the interests of balance;

1. We don’t know who was struggling after the last game or who has a slight injury or who is ill or who transgressed the strict turn up on time policy. (Surely one of these must apply to João as I think we all felt sure he was being rested for this game)

for example, Pudil would be Jos’ first name on the team sheet based on current form if he was fit and raring to go. 

2. Just because Millwall are not the most fashionable side and came up last season. Let’s just consider a few points :

a) they are above us in the table 

b) we still have most of our players out injured / unavailable and can’t take chances with players who are 50/50 as we need them in coming weeks 

c) they have not lost at home for months - and in that time have beaten the pigs + Middlesbrough with full strength sides and held good sides like Wolves, Cardiff, Derby and Preston to draws. 

So not sure who thought our scratch side - whoever he chose from those available would go and turn them over.  

I think many on here could see some logic to starting defensive and bringing on better subs and at half time I was not complaining. 

Teams lose away games. 

Teams with massive injury problems lose more away games than most. 

There are often reasons we are not privy to why a player may not be on the pitch. 

A win v derby does not make Jos a genius and a narrow defeat where we took the lead away at Millwall does not make him an idiot. 

Sorry if im repeating / stealing other peoples points but it made me personally feel better about last night typing that out. 

:luhukay:

Great diplomacy, shame this forgiving feeling wasn’t in place for our last manager. 

Jo’s has been defensive since day one and getting worse. 

1 hour ago, erowl said:

Spot on this post

No it’s not.

Those jumping in and making decisions on Pelupessy are doing it too soon. He’s adapting to a new league and deserves a run of games. And why focus on him when he scored a peach as well.

Vernancio will continue to improve under us and deserves a spot.

Loovens is a liability 

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Great diplomacy, shame this forgiving feeling wasn’t in place for our last manager. 

Many defended Carlos for a long time including myself so stop talking nonsense.

And I take it the Derby game doesn’t count 

2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

No it’s not.

Those jumping in and making decisions on Pelupessy are doing it too soon. He’s adapting to a new league and deserves a run of games. And why focus on him when he scored a peach as well.

Vernancio will continue to improve under us and deserves a spot.

Loovens is a liability 

Well I guess we'll see mate.

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Many defended Carlos for a long time including myself so stop talking nonsense.

And I take it the Derby game doesn’t count 

If your looking a patterns and trends, picking one event out of many doesn’t give the norm. 

Do you honestly think we haven’t played defensive since Jos took over. 

8 minutes ago, Rogers said:

True. But whilst Jos is undoubtedly defensive, I’ve personally enjoyed the way the team attacks WHEN we do attack

Speaking only for myself I  couldn’t take much more of the sideways and backwards passing that was on offer from Carlos, and it’s actually insane if you think that a historically defensive manager can come in and be more entertaining than a manager like Carlos who prides himself on attacking. 

ive really enjoyed some of the goals recently. Like the first João goal v derby or the reach chance v Swansea. 

We used to tippy tap the ball around only for other sides to score quick goals on the counter against us. 

I supported him last season even though football wasn’t great because I felt it would be price worth paying should we go up. When that didn’t happen I struggled to cope with another season of it. 

The brief Jos has is different - to keep us up in a terrible injury crisis, so personally I can be more forgiving for that reason. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

If your looking a patterns and trends, picking one event out of many doesn’t give the norm. 

Do you honestly think we haven’t played defensive since Jos took over. 

We have had to on occasions due to injuries and some tough games. He doesn’t have much attacking options but we have been attacking at times. Which is all we can do at the moment. I’ve been happy so far bar last night. And defensive doesn’t always mean bad. We have moved on from sideways hoofball of Carlos and are better to watch 

Edited by Belfast Owl 2

11 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Jos got his tactics completely, and i mean completely, wrong tonight. We were beaten by a side we would not have lost to had we had anything going forward.

I am quite frankly appalled that we lined up the way we did against Miwaw at their place. Atrocious.

In other news.... (and i will get slated for some of this)

1. Stobbs was particularly lightweight today. Poor passing, poor decision making, let's hope he improves.

2. Pelupessy is a very astute signing. As he acclimatises and becomes more in tune with the league he is turning in more and more composed and effective performances. I'm a fan.

3. Pudil, Venancio and Thorniley should be our current first choice three at the back: not Loovens.

4. Boyd offers next to nothing out wide. He runs a lot and provides cover to Fox but beyond that is impotent when attacking.

5. Fox is rubbish.

Some excellent points. I agree about Pelupessy, looking better every game.  I think we nearly all agree Fox is out of his depth, but he does try 100% which cannot always be said for some of our players.  Loovens now past his best, should be his last season I think, not sure how long his contract is.  Still deciding about Boyd, not sure yet.

11 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Jos got his tactics completely, and i mean completely, wrong tonight. We were beaten by a side we would not have lost to had we had anything going forward.

I am quite frankly appalled that we lined up the way we did against Miwaw at their place. Atrocious.

In other news.... (and i will get slated for some of this)

1. Stobbs was particularly lightweight today. Poor passing, poor decision making, let's hope he improves.

2. Pelupessy is a very astute signing. As he acclimatises and becomes more in tune with the league he is turning in more and more composed and effective performances. I'm a fan.

3. Pudil, Venancio and Thorniley should be our current first choice three at the back: not Loovens.

4. Boyd offers next to nothing out wide. He runs a lot and provides cover to Fox but beyond that is impotent when attacking.

5. Fox is rubbish.

I agree with that apart from point 2.

He looked way off the pace again (good strike obviously)    - did a job against Derby but apart from that im not convinced

Stobbs isn't good enough - he's been in the youth team far too long and just isn't up to it

13 hours ago, zzmdu said:

Too many going OTT. We were told Jos was an ultra defensive manager. This was confirmed with the Reading line up.

Not sure why people are so surprised.

Thing that confuses me is how he can go all out defensive, yet not have anyone up top for an out-ball to stick??. 

I said I'd give Jos till the end of the season to make my assessment, but last nights lineup just seems bizarre, rested Joao against Swansea, so why not rest Dave and play Joao as lone target man?.