Few things we learnt tonight

2 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

No because the point is why were we resting players like Joao? It makes no logical sense. Why did Fox feature again when even a blind man can see he's garbage?

i agree that Joao should of been involved either tonight or on Saturday there. However I still feel a guy like Reach deserved to have a rest as he’s been relentless all year.

Jos has taken a chance on resting his team against what you would say is the weakest team we will play between last tuesday and 6th March (Derby, Swansea twice, Villa, Bristol City, Ipswich) and it’s backfired and he’ll learn from it. End of the day there is no need for a complete overreaction to one game.

1 hour ago, Spondon Owl said:

4. Boyd offers next to nothing out wide. He runs a lot and provides cover to Fox but beyond that is impotent when attacking.

5. Fox is rubbish.

Watching Boyd tonight, he knew he was rubbish in that position. Felt sorry for him.

Fox is rubbish. No sympathy.

1. You have to play at least one out and out striker

2. You keep previous MoM(Pudil) in the side for next game

3. You dont make changes just for the sake of it

Disappointed tonight in JL's formation/tactics/selection - move on he knows more than me

Can we add that we learnt that a certain group of Wednesday fans who continuously moaned about CC and his negative tactics seem to disappear from any debates about JL and his tactics or performance as manager or e excuse after excuse, brushing off our displays as unlucky.   This whole thing about not playing players with knocks so they don't get injured for months is bull in my opinion; when you need results everyone should muck in and play with a slight niggle.

It seems getting clean sheets is now the amazing thing some like to praise (an example of providing stability to the team), forgetting that you win games by scoring.  We broke the clean sheet records under CC; fortunately we manage to score at the same time in most games as well.

Some fans got what they wished for. This is it; new manager parking the bus against Millwall.

The problem with playing a very defensive formation is that as soon as you concede a goal or don't offer anything going forward all the tactics and planning go out the window. It doesn't help that our two most attacking players tonight were a LM/LWB and a RM/CAM...neither one has shown any attacking prowess this season so it baffles me why Jos decided they should lead the line.

As our fixtures are pretty thick and fast the next 2/3 weeks I can only imagine Nuhiu was being rested and Joao must be carrying a knock or something as if he was fit he would have certainly started today, I really see the Boyd/Wallace pairing as a last resort option. It's scary how at one stage we had forward options of Hooper/Fletcher/Rhodes/Winnall/FF/Nuhiu/Joao/Hirst I didn't think i would see a game where not even one of them wasn't starting. 

Not sure why people are so upset about Clare not starting, he's shown flashes of talent but he's ultimately still a kid with basically no experience as is Stobbs, Thorniley etc. Don't be outraged when they don't play, there are plenty of tough games in this league especially away from home, sometimes sticking with an experienced player (although not exciting) is the better option? Hard to see that after a poor performance and even though the likes of Jones, Butterfield, Loovens etc haven't exactly been good this season there has to be a balance. 

It was a bizarre team selection by Jos today but when you take a step back and look at the big picture you can sort of understand why he made those decisions.  After tonight we play 5 times in 16 days after an already busy schedule, i'm sure we'll see more rotations next week the man is doing the best with the resources he has.

3 hours ago, 33 said:

Could be worse

He could’ve started Buttercup again

Hahahaha, he said 'Buttercup', you know, because he's called Butterfield, which is similar, but by saying 'Buttercup' it becomes funny, you know, because, well, it's not his name, but it's funny. 

And yeah, he didn't feature tonight but he has to again refer to him. Because sad cnnuutt. 

3 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Dynamic midfield of Pelupessy, Jones and Butterfield. Wallace up top with Stobbs and Boyd supporting.

Stuff nightmares are made of...

Yeaaaahhh, good job we don't see that nightmare, yeaaahhh. 

You lost mate, without seeing that. 

Wally.

3 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

I fully expect Butterfield to start on Saturday as it makes no sense whatsoever 

SEVEN POSTS into a thread about tonight's game that DID NOT feature Butterfield, and already THREE posts referring to him negatively.

You're sensational.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Jos got his tactics completely, and i mean completely, wrong tonight. We were beaten by a side we would not have lost to had we had anything going forward.

I am quite frankly appalled that we lined up the way we did against Miwaw at their place. Atrocious.

In other news.... (and i will get slated for some of this)

1. Stobbs was particularly lightweight today. Poor passing, poor decision making, let's hope he improves.

2. Pelupessy is a very astute signing. As he acclimatises and becomes more in tune with the league he is turning in more and more composed and effective performances. I'm a fan.

3. Pudil, Venancio and Thorniley should be our current first choice three at the back: not Loovens.

4. Boyd offers next to nothing out wide. He runs a lot and provides cover to Fox but beyond that is impotent when attacking.

5. Fox is rubbish.

Agreed with all of that except that Thorniley was also garbage today.  His fault for the goal and managed to injure himself with a crap slide tackle.  Hope he gets well soon, of course.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

Watching Boyd tonight, he knew he was rubbish in that position. Felt sorry for him.

Fox is rubbish. No sympathy.

Boyd has to be left wing back.  Personally I'd play Reach there but Jos has no idea.