Six straight wins for SWFC Academy

The Owls Under-18s registered their sixth consecutive league win on Saturday.

A Ciaran Brennan double saw the Owls come away from Barnsley with maximum points in the 2-1 win.

The outstanding run of form has seen Wednesday fly up the division, now two points off top spot with a game in hand.

Ben Wilkinson’s youngsters took the lead on ten minutes with Jordan Lonchar heading across the face of goal for Brennan to convert from close range.

The hosts equalised on the stroke of half time and that looked to have sealed a point against the in-form Owls.

But right at the death, deep into stoppage time, Brennan snatched a late winner to keep the impressive run going.

Alex Hunt floated the free kick from deep into box, Preslav Borukov flicked on in the middle and following a scramble ten yards from goal, Brennan applied the finish to seal victory for Wednesday.

Owls: Brazinskas, Dawodu, West, Gavrilov (A Hunt 75), Reaney, Brennan, Hammoud (Hughes 60), Waldock, Lonchar (Borukov 67), Grant, O’Brien

Owlstalk Shop

Always good to see the youngsters doing well but all they all players we have produce or cherry picked from other people academy's as I know the Keeper is Lithuanian, there is two Bulgarian lads in there to note a few of them.

Are the rest of them from our academy or are we just getting other people players like we did with Clare (Nike) , Thorniley (Everton),  Neilson (Forest), Ogrady (Man Utd), it good to see players coming through but how many of these are from our development or becuase other teams have developed them and they didn't quite make the grade with them.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Always good to see the youngsters doing well but all they all players we have produce or cherry picked from other people academy's as I know the Keeper is Lithuanian, there is two Bulgarian lads in there to note a few of them.

Are the rest of them from our academy or are we just getting other people players like we did with Clare (Nike) , Thorniley (Everton),  Neilson (Forest), Ogrady (Man Utd), it good to see players coming through but how many of these are from our development or becuase other teams have developed them and they didn't quite make the grade with them.

Mixture. Stobbs,Penney, Lonchar, Preston, Hirst and others with us from an early age.

49 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Pigs do it all the time and claim they are their own

Man U did it with Beckham ,giggs etc 

3 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

I know Just wondering the split from local lads to those from other academies - I can remember when we brought in Brunt from Boro and Whelan from Man City it has been happening for years but there is something different about a Sheffield lads being in the first team. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I know Just wondering the split from local lads to those from other academies - I can remember when we brought in Brunt from Boro and Whelan from Man City it has been happening for years but there is something different about a Sheffield lads being in the first team. 

Yes, but Brunt and Whelan were signed as first team players, not to play academy football.

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Yes, but Brunt and Whelan were signed as first team players, not to play academy football.

Yes I know could think of anyone of the top of my head that we signed for the reserves. When we signed Brunt and Whelan we were in the pub league so it kind of counts just lol

12 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Wednesdays academy was dreadful for years.

I remember been at a scout game ,all the local team scouts where there ,except Wednesdays.

Our only real "successes" are palmer,beevers and spurr ,and they aren't nothing special.

The current signs are good and hopefully we rival the pigs as a good academy for the young uns to pick

Edited by welsOwl74

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Good good we are producing then not just buying in lol

Yes it's a good sign when parents are trusting our club to nurture the talents of their children. In the past I think that because of our previous shortcoming in this area we have had to pad the numbers out by recruiting from other academies. This will still happen of course but we can and probably are being a bit more discerning these days.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

You can add Clarke (Man U) and Wallis (Leicester) also Williams (Bury)

Edited by gurujuan

28 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

They signed for man u at 14 - they are man united products of development without a doubt

6 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

Wednesdays academy was dreadful for years.

It was until Deano took over the academy a few years back, then we started producing players. He left and joined Man City and now other staff have. Left/ leaving because they said there was no drive and ambition. They said it was just a token gesture 

8 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

It was until Deano took over the academy a few years back, then we started producing players. He left and joined Man City and now other staff have. Left/ leaving because they said there was no drive and ambition. They said it was just a token gesture 

I haven't been to a academy event for years tbh mate.

My son was 11 at the time,i got a call saying scouts was at a event and to bring my son for a trial

A lot of London clubs was there.

Chesterfield,donny,rotherham and the pigs.no Wednesday to be seen.

It might not seem a big deal but seems lazy to me.

Edited by welsOwl74

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

are they all players we have produce

Are the rest of them from our academy

how many of these are from our development

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

just wondering the split from local lads 

I think this guy wants to know how many are our academy players.