Honourable mention: Morgan Fox

Got to say.. he's been getting absolute pelters lately, not only on here but on twitter.

He stepped up on Saturday. From the off he looked up for it, alert, combative, he got stuck into Abraham a couple of times (fairly), battled and had a bit of urgency about him.

Pudil was the standout player by a mile for me, but Fox looked like he was at home in the back 3 and played well.

Just wanted to acknowledge it.

• Thanks 1

He hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some people have been making out.

He's a full back, who's strengths lie in defending. He's not a wing back, and never will be. But he's been asked to play that role, and done a reasonable job of it.

It was no surprise that he looked a much better player (against much better players) on Saturday, when his role comprised solely of defending. 

But I realise, it's not the in-thing to praise Morgan Fox...

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

But I realise, it's not the in-thing to praise Morgan Fox...

Why is it, when someone isn't playing at all well and they get pulled up for it, he's got be a scapegoat. 

No mate, he's just playing dreadfully and pretty much has done since he signed so he deserves it.

No mention of him nearly costing us the game by inexplicably trying to win a ball he was never going to win which was a nailed on penalty... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ramone said:

Why is it, when someone isn't playing at all well and they get pulled up for it, he's got be a scapegoat. 

No mate, he's just playing dreadfully and pretty much has done since he signed so he deserves it.

No mention of him nearly costing us the game by inexplicably trying to win a ball he was never going to win which was a nailed on penalty... 

the bloke was going down before he touched him ...no pen 

I think he did OK, he was very nervous on the ball, strong in one on one, but when there was movement, he always seems to give a chance to run off him. It happened couple times in each half where he let a player get in behind him and we were lucky they didnt take advantage 

On the ball he passed back to Pudil about 90% of the time and never took the ball on until late in second half, but am allowing for the fact that might have been instructions.. ?

I want all our players to do well,  just glad he has had a decent 90 minutes and hopefully give him some confidence.

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Look at John Fleck for them lot against Leeds... Look at Dele Alli yesterday. Doesn't matter these days, in my opinion he was tackling from the wrong side and left himself wide open to give away a pen away. You've seen them given? 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Think if you see the challenge again you may change your mind !! Could quite easily have been given . Stonewall pen when Pudil pushed Abraham’s over too imo ,  always said refs are top notch at Hillsborough !!!!!!!. 

• Haha 2

Just now, ramone said:

Look at John Fleck for them lot against Leeds... Look at Dele Alli yesterday. Doesn't matter these days, in my opinion he was tackling from the wrong side and left himself wide open to give away a pen away. You've seen them given? 

I have but that's because the ref's got it wrong ...this ref didn't . 

Fox was brought to the club as cover for the left full back position in a 4-4-2 line up under Carlos.

Pudil was expected to be the left back or even  Reach in its more more attacking form.

Jos wants Reach in midfield and absolutely needs Pudil in the back three. 

Having let Penney leave on loan this has left Fox, until the return of Boyd, as the only alternative at wing back, a position he is clearly uncomfortable with.

For me he has given it his best shot in spite of the abuse hurled at him and kept going.

Saturday saw him deployed as part of a back three where he much better. Not brilliant but better.

I am hoping that in future this is where he will be used, ie as occassional  cover in central defence.

As for the penalty incident, I was in the North Stand Saturday and thought straight away, dive.

I have watched several times over on tv and cannot see any contact by Fox.

Finally a lot of Owls fans do love a scapegoat.

Reach is playing well, move on to Nuhiu

Nuhiu is playing well and scoring a few, move on to Jones

Jones is looking better, move on to Fox.

Oh hang on I left out Butterfield and Palmer who also get a turn.

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

Think if you see the challenge again you may change your mind !! Could quite easily have been given . Stonewall pen when Pudil pushed Abraham’s over too imo ,  always said refs are top notch at Hillsborough !!!!!!!. 

you don't think the bloke was going down before fox touched him ?......

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I have but that's because the ref's got it wrong ...this ref didn't . 

I happen to agree with you, no penalty.

But... knowing that penalties are being given for soft challenges and with the players looking for it, dont give the ref a decision to make. Thats my point. It was a stupid challenge to make. A challenge he didnt need to make. Thats the point about Morgan Fox. His decision making is terrible and his bad decisions often cost us. 

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Fox was brought to the club as cover for the left full back position in a 4-4-2 line up under Carlos.

Pudil was expected to be the left back or even  Reach in its more more attacking form.

Jos wants Reach in midfield and absolutely needs Pudil in the back three. 

Having let Penney leave on loan this has left Fox, until the return of Boyd, as the only alternative at wing back, a position he is clearly uncomfortable with.

For me he has given it his best shot in spite of the abuse hurled at him and kept going.

Saturday saw him deployed as part of a back three where he much better. Not brilliant but better.

I am hoping that in future this is where he will be used, ie as occassional  cover in central defence.

As for the penalty incident, I was in the North Stand Saturday and thought straight away, dive.

I have watched several times over on tv and cannot see any contact by Fox.

My recommendation to any Wednesday player out there looking to avoid pelters is.

Make sure you play well.

lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blatter said:

You seem to be forgetting that all players received criticism when they were playing poorly. 

When they play well they get praise. Thats the same in EVERY walk of life...

1 minute ago, ramone said:

You seem to be forgetting that all players received criticism when they were playing poorly. 

Don't have a problem with criticism at all. Thats what my post is meant to be, both about the way Fox has been expected to play and the fans who single him out.

Its the abuse I'm talking about.You must hear it when you go to games.

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

Don't have a problem with criticism at all. Thats what my post is meant to be, both about the way Fox has been expected to play and the fans who single him out.

Its the abuse I'm talking about.You must hear it when you go to games.

Fans can only see so many mistakes before they start getting annoyed. The one that did it for me was, after watching his completely inept performance at Boro, he started against Brum. When Wildsmith rolled it to him and instead of controlling it, he let it hit on the back of the heel. Now that's bad enough, hes a professional footballer FFS, but his reaction wasn't to go and get the ball back, he flung his arms up in the air and sulked. 

Luckily i was sat on the South that day and I managed to keep it in but if was on the kop where I usually am I'd have let him know what I thought of him. And i'll have been well within my rights too as well.

The guy just isn't good enough and he''s only the team literally because there isn't anyone else. But come on, he can offer much more than he is at the moment, 

24 minutes ago, ramone said:

Bloody hell mate what do you do for a living?

I don't know anyone personally that gets dogs abuse on the Internet by people they don't know ,if they have a bad day at work.

FFS.