The pitch

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Don't understand why people are referencing the pitches of the past, as they didn't cost a £million and weren't Desso, so weren't designed to be pristine all year round.

Don't understand why pointing out the very obvious truth is somehow people 'having a go at the club'.

Are you Defenders of the Faith really such delicate snowflakes that you deem anything other than total praise damaging to the club? It's really not you know. 

More often than not the club take what's written on here with a total pinch of salt. When Paul Aldridge was asked once he said he used Owlstalk as an important feedback generator on all things Wednesday related, meaning he could put things right.

The people providing constructive criticism on here are doing more to help the club than any of the propaganda spewers

I watched the match on tv on Friday and thought the pitch was showing the same sort of worn patches as Hillsborough, but worse and in more areas. That was Stamford Bridge. 

I suspect people are expecting too much. The Desso effect was over sold.  Even Desso pitches wear and need maintenance and time to recover.

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Don't understand why people are referencing the pitches of the past, as they didn't cost a £million and weren't Desso, so weren't designed to be pristine all year round.

Don't understand why pointing out the very obvious truth is somehow people 'having a go at the club'.

Are you Defenders of the Faith really such delicate snowflakes that you deem anything other than total praise damaging to the club? It's really not you know. 

More often than not the club take what's written on here with a total pinch of salt. When Paul Aldridge was asked once he said he used Owlstalk as an important feedback generator on all things Wednesday related, meaning he could put things right.

The people providing constructive criticism on here are doing more to help the club than any of the propaganda spewers

100%

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Pitch in a bit of a state? I blame the Hillsborough mole.

As others have said, our pitch isn't the only Desso that isn't looking 100% at this time of year, caused by training on it and having matches played dauring and after heavy periods of rain and snow. The complete overhaul of the playing surface was needed and although it does look a little patchy the craters that we used to have to play around are long gone.

Whatever Paul Aldridge told you, if you think Owlstalk is used by the club to 'put things right' you are overstating your own importance. The current regime aren't that interested, the people that actually go to games are more of a barometer. If Owlstalk was so influential then the kits and ticket prices might have changed before now.

I am sue the club don't need to wait until Owlstalk pipes up a thread about the pitch before they consider looking into it.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:15, Beholder said:

Think we should ask for the money back from the company that installed it. 

Threadbare. 

I was speaking to one of the guys who built it the other week (distant relative) and I asked about the state of it.  Basically it's down to upkeep.  He was telling me that he's currently working on the new White Hart Lane and last year did their training grounds.  They have 15 full time grounds staff just looking after pitches and completely reseed it every season.  They have a full pitch of grow lamps for the stadium pitch.  I think we have about 1/4 pitch of grow lamps and one groundsman.

He said the pitch itself will last 10 years but the state of the grass is purely down to upkeep.  With them training on it due to frozen pitches at Middlewood that will add excess wear.

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

30 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Oh do stop it 

What is he supposed to do ignore it in case snowflakes like you get all weepy and upset 

Last time i listened to PoG he read a text out asking if JR had asked for a pay riselol

I know its his job on the show to make the phone ring but come on!

As you read the PoG thread its just not me who is tired of all 3 of them jumping on the negative side of S6.

:carlosswfc:

We were in termoil when Carlos left and its taking baby steps for Jos to impose his style of play,  so probably when we have majority of first team back and move up the league they will stop beating us while we are on the floor.

:ghoulguy:

39 minutes ago, pride_of_the_road said:

As you read the PoG thread its just not me who is tired of all 3 of them jumping on the negative side of S6.

We’ve had three years of people jumping on anyone saying anything slightly critical about Chansiri so it’s not surprising journalists get pounced on as well. Talk of a bias is laughable frankly. 

Usual hot potato these days seems to be the pitch and the medical side of the club, the pitch might look a little worn but seems to play alright. As mentioned other clubs have bigger resources and don't have a massive south stand also. think we have 4 or 5 lighting rigs as seen them in the car park - some clubs seem to have a full half of these rigs - obviously can only use whats available. We've had a hell of a lot of games at home for a February in very poor conditions - whether that be snow or rain. Heard that they have trained on the stadium when TG isn't fit - still gets same weather at the stadium so no matter how much the club invested in the new construction 3 years ago - weather and usage will always take its toll. I'm sure the summer will come and help improve and will all be forgotten until next winter when this thread is repeated again and again. As long as it doesn't affect the play too much - which from where I sit it doesn't, then that investment has been worthwhile. The Desso construction is only the stuff that makes it harder wearing - it still has grass and if that cant grow then what chance have people got until the weather gets better. im sure the staff who look after it are doing their best, same as the medical staff are doing there utmost to get players fit. 

46 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I was speaking to one of the guys who built it the other week (distant relative) and I asked about the state of it.  Basically it's down to upkeep.  He was telling me that he's currently working on the new White Hart Lane and last year did their training grounds.  They have 15 full time grounds staff just looking after pitches and completely reseed it every season.  They have a full pitch of grow lamps for the stadium pitch.  I think we have about 1/4 pitch of grow lamps and one groundsman.

He said the pitch itself will last 10 years but the state of the grass is purely down to upkeep.  With them training on it due to frozen pitches at Middlewood that will add excess wear.

Hillsborough has a team of 6 ground staff, not just 1, and they also re-seed every summer. But yes, our grow lamps only cover about 1/4 of the pitch at a time. I don't think these are the key factors. Yesterday, it was significantly poorer than at the last game against Derby only 5 days ago. As others have said, this is partly due to the relentless wet and cold weather and partly due to using the pitch for training because the outdoor pitches at the training ground are not up to it (the indoor pitch under the balloon is OK but is quite different from playing on grass).

6 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Hillsborough has a team of 6 ground staff, not just 1, and they also re-seed every summer. But yes, our grow lamps only cover about 1/4 of the pitch at a time. I don't think these are the key factors. Yesterday, it was significantly poorer than at the last game against Derby only 5 days ago. As others have said, this is partly due to the relentless wet and cold weather and partly due to using the pitch for training because the outdoor pitches at the training ground are not up to it (the indoor pitch under the balloon is OK but is quite different from playing on grass).

Surely that’s just BBC bias you’re swallowing?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Desso doesn't guarantee it'll be like a carpet all year round - it depends on many factors like amount of usage, weather etc. We have been training on it and youth and under-23s games have been played on it, plus we've had snow, frost and a couple of games were played in bad conditions

Loads of other club's Desso pitches aren't pristine this year either - have you seen Villa's for example https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-park-pitch-state-14188112

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

11 minutes ago, simpark said:

Desso doesn't guarantee it'll be like a carpet all year round - it depends on many factors like amount of usage, weather etc. We have been training on it and youth and under-23s games have been played on it, plus we've had snow, frost and a couple of games were played in bad conditions

Loads of other club's Desso pitches aren't pristine this year either - have you seen Villa's for example https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-park-pitch-state-14188112

That should be all of the information you al need to close the thread. The patchiness is really grass missing and not desso fibres. really grass needs sunlight and the sun doesn't get high enough in the winter on the rare occasions it is out.  

Our lighting can only do so much space at once, looking at the pitch they need pulling over to the South stand.

The excellent drainage and the fact it has been rebuilt mean it is playing ok though, that's the main things right?