Young George Hirst

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

maybe they do have his best interests at heart , a 3 year deal at a prem club will make him very financially secure at 19 years of age ...if he doesn't turn out to be what a lot think he may it could be the best contract that he ever has ........look at Jordan slew signs for over a million and 4 year contract at premier league  Blackburn and 6 years  later he's turning out Radcliff borough in the northern prem ....... 

Thats true but on the other hand he's now missed a season of progress. He's clearly still training, it's not very likely but he could get a serious injury doing that. He's missed a chance to play at Championship level, possibly got a reputation (undeserved or not), not progressed either. My point is my advice would be keep playing, work hard, take your chance when it comes, riches will come later, i don't see what he has gained.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Homebase didn't know how good I was at my job till they saw me arranging the paving slabs so well in the garden centre at B&Q

B&Q have already broken the wage structure for their more senior customer service assistants so why wouldn't I ask the boss the question at B&Q?

Ah, you mean people that have proven they are more capable at a higher level.

So you think you should be able to be paid the same as a highly qualified paving slab layer, and that is not being greedy?

Just now, MAL said:

Ah, you mean people that have proven they are more capable at a higher level.

So you think you should be able to be paid the same as a highly qualified paving slab layer, and that is not being greedy?

Homebase and Wickes do

He wants to stay at B&Q but wants to negotiate his market value in terms of wages with them to create a win-win scenario for everyone.

Homebase and Wickes are offering him £100 a week

I don't know a single person who wouldn't do the same thing

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Homebase and Wickes do

He wants to stay at B&Q but wants to negotiate his market value in terms of wages with them to create a win-win scenario for everyone.

Homebase and Wickes are offering him £100 a week

I don't know a single person who wouldn't do the same thing

Homebase and Wickes are in a different league to B&Q

They can pay as much as they want.

B&Q have to watch their pay structure, because if they go over it, they will incur strong penalties, financial and staffing level wise.

I don't know a single person who wouldn't do the same thing either, but i would still call them greedy if they wanted to screw more money from a company that would incur penalties for doing so.

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Homebase didn't know how good I was at my job till they saw me arranging the paving slabs so well in the garden centre at B&Q

B&Q have already broken the wage structure for their more senior customer service assistants so why wouldn't I ask the boss the question at B&Q?

Think you answered your own question there.

Just now, MAL said:

Homebase and Wickes are in a different league to B&Q

They can pay as much as they want.

B&Q have to watch their pay structure, because if they go over it, they will incur strong penalties, financial and staffing level wise.

I don't know a single person who wouldn't do the same thing either, but i would still call them greedy if they wanted to screw more money from a company that would incur penalties for doing so.

I'd ask my boss at B&Q the question about payrises rather than just leave for an improved wage

People who ask their employers for their market value wage levels aren't greedy. They're realistic. It's not screwing money from a company at all.

Owlstalk Shop

Its a poor analogy I have seen him play one early round league cup game at Cambridge Utd where he looked a mile off a first team player.

He has done nothing at Championship level or any other league for that matter to suggest he has learnt an inflated wage rise.

The current youngsters, who have mostly been out on loan have performed perfectly well in the first team recently and have signed

the contracts offered to them.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Everyone would do the same

People are mixing emotions and love of SWFC for having a job and needing to earn as much money as you're worth

Nothing to do with that.

You said it wasn't greedy.

Just because everybody else would do it, doesn't make it less greedy, it just means more people are greedy.

People putting a company in financial trouble for personal gain is pure greed.

1 minute ago, bdmfournil said:

Its a poor analogy I have seen him play one early round league cup game at Cambridge Utd where he looked a mile off a first team player.

He has done nothing at Championship level or any other league for that matter to suggest he has learnt an inflated wage rise.

The current youngsters, who have mostly been out on loan have performed perfectly well in the first team recently and have signed

the contracts offered to them.

id say the first team were more than a mile away from cambridge as theyre not in Championship

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I didn't at all

Try and keep up..

lol

I beg to differ, more senior regarding sales assistants or more senior regarding footballers as far as either company are concerned, it's the more senior bit that qualifies for more money.

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion

If I worked as a YTS at B&Q for £50 a week and did such a great job Homebase wanted me to go there for £100 a week, I'd go to B&Q management, tell them and ask them to match it

It's not greed it's market value

I recall chatting to Jim McCalliog in a Sheffield disco regarding his transfer to Wolves. I knew the McCalliog family from  Nether Edge, where they lived in a club house, so he was very honest with me and he said “Wednesday are paying me £60.00 p/w and Wolves have doubled it, I can’t refuse an offer like that”. I was on something like £12.00 p/w at the time, so fully understood his motives.

Strangely enough Jim, who is a year older than me, is still working, while I retired eight years ago, haven’t things changed, someone like him would be a millionaire whilst still playing?

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

it's not greed to go into your bosses office and ask for a payrise based on what you're worth and what other people think you're worth

Of course it could be, it depends what you're asking for.

Your boss would probably tell you to **** off as he's got 20 other people in the same team as you that are just as good :laugh:

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd ask my boss at B&Q the question about payrises rather than just leave for an improved wage

People who ask their employers for their market value wage levels aren't greedy. They're realistic. It's not screwing money from a company at all.

So what did you do when they said no.

We here at B&Q have to abide by the rules.

If we pay a junior paving slab layer the same or even more than a paving slab layer that has finished his apprenticeship, then everybody will want the same.

If we pay everybody that money, the company will be heavily find and a staff embargo enforced.

Then we could be relegated or even go out of business.