Tom Lees played through pain but ended up worse off

Tom Lees Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

“I had played with the injury for a month or so.

“I tried to do everything I could to stay on the pitch but it probably got to the point where it was a little bit stupid of me, to be honest, to carry on playing. If anything, I made it worse. “Maybe if I had swallowed my pride a bit earlier I might have been out a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months. I even ended up injuring my tongue"  (pictured above)

“But that’s the way it goes. I’m a bit too stubborn at times. I have to learn from it. “I can’t do anything about what’s gone on. I’ve got to look forward now.”

“I had to have an operation on my groin because I ripped it off from my pelvis,” he said. “The surgery I had done cleaned everything up.” 

“It has probably been the hardest three months of my career with the injury,” conceded Lees. “It was very tough not being able to play. “You’ve got the fact that you are not playing, which is hard enough to deal with, added to the fact the way things have gone for the team on the pitch and the whole load of other injuries we have got. It has not been a good three months. “Nobody wants to be injured. It is not enjoyable and it has not been a good three months.

“I’m just looking to put it behind me now and focus on getting back out on the pitch and doing as well as I can.”

Tom is back playing now though and is delighted

“It was nice to be out playing again. The manager wanted me to get some minutes under my belt and I was more than willing to play with the Under-23s. It was good to get the minutes and the fitness in. “The plan was to play an hour and, luckily, I didn’t feel anything untoward. “The groin felt good and I couldn’t be more pleased with how it went. Obviously, it has taken me a bit of time to get back into the speed of things. For more news from Hillsborough click here “I’m coming back in now and we’ve got a new formation so I’ve got to adapt to that as well. “My body is feeling good and I’m trying to do everything I can to feel sharp and get fit again.”

Will he try and get into the starting lineup for the Swansea game?

“I’m not too sure whether I will need another Under-23s game or not,” said Lees. “It is a bit different in terms of coming back into the team after an injury now. I will see what the manager says and what his plans are.”

Lees said: “It has been really difficult, to be honest, because when a new manager comes in you are desperate to be playing and showing him what you can do and I haven’t had that opportunity.

“I have been working pretty much all day every day with the physios. They have been great and put in 12 hour days alongside me to try and get me back as quick as possible. “I’ve come back into training but obviously the team is going through a a little bit of a tough patch. We are playing a different formation and constantly looking at the shape. “I’m just champing at the bit to get back out there.”

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Peake said:

Training followed by playing for the u23's followed by playing for the first team now when recovering from injuries. Common sense really but so many people cut corners.

I'd even say that when you buy a new player from abroad (or even domestically) you should start with the U23's and substitute appearances until they've bedded in.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Willow Owl

Torn groin from pelvis ouch!!

At least it shows he has the bottle to go through the pain barrier for the team, even though it has cost everybody in the long run. 

Again bad management by Carlos!! letting players play knowing the long term risks. 

A fit and firing Tom Lees is still one of the best defenders in the league. Welcome back Tom 

“I tried to do everything I could to stay on the pitch but it probably got to the point where it was a little bit stupid of me, to be honest, to carry on playing. If anything, I made it worse. “Maybe if I had swallowed my pride a bit earlier I might have been out a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months

Why did the management allow this to happen, playing a player when he is clearly injured.

8 minutes ago, Bigaltheowl said:

so where does it make that statement ?

I'm so exhausted by it all I can't even be bothered to go into it again.

All the things coming out from the players since Carlos left points to the same thing.

It's clear. It's obvious.

And it's coming from the players not someone making it up on the internet.

Anyway - let's keep things positive eh?

No point doing this to death again

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd even say that when you buy a new player from abroad (or even domestically) you should start with the U23's and substitute appearances until they've bedded in.

I agree, especially for January signings. I think Pelupessy has made more appearances out of necessity to be fair.