Case for chopping the deadwood

Just wanted to throw this out there. Below is (almost) a full team (3-5-2) of the younger lads who have impressed since Jos arrived. 

Hirst.    ?

Penny.   Clare.    Palmer.   ?   Stones

Thornley.  Nielsen.  O'Grady.

Wildsmith 

I'm not suggesting that they should all be in the starting 11. Of course they're not ready physically or mentally. However, technically they all show potential to be solid championship players. Based on having 2 players for every position, is there a case that our first team squad for next season should consist of these 9 plus 16 senior pros therefore allowing us to move out some of the pot dolls and deadwood who are blocking the development of the younger lads. The squad could be mixed and matched to get the right blend of youth and experience on match day or tailored to the oppositions strength and weaknesses. Moving on some of the bigger earners would ease FFP pressures. Having a core of younger lads might galvanise the fans to get behind the team again.

For what it's worth the rest of my squad would be Westwood, Dawson, Lees, Reach, Lee, Bannan, Boyd, Forestieri, João, Rhodes, Hunt
Plus I would want to sign Venâncio, a new left back, out and out right winger, physically imposing central midfielder (Carlton Palmer / Patrick Viera type), genuine target man (upgrade on Big Dave)

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Just wanted to throw this out there. Below is (almost) a full team (3-5-2) of the younger lads who have impressed since Jos arrived. 

Hirst.    ?

Penny.   Clare.    Palmer.   ?   Stones

Thornley.  Nielsen.  O'Grady.

Wildsmith 

I'm not suggesting that they should all be in the starting 11. Of course they're not ready physically or mentally. However, technically they all show potential to be solid championship players. Based on having 2 players for every position, is there a case that our first team squad for next season should consist of these 9 plus 16 senior pros therefore allowing us to move out some of the pot dolls and deadwood who are blocking the development of the younger lads. The squad could be mixed and matched to get the right blend of youth and experience on match day or tailored to the oppositions strength and weaknesses. Moving on some of the bigger earners would ease FFP pressures. Having a core of younger lads might galvanise the fans to get behind the team again.

For what it's worth the rest of my squad would be Westwood, Dawson, Lees, Reach, Lee, Bannan, Boyd, Forestieri, João, Rhodes, Hunt
Plus I would want to sign Venâncio, a new left back, out and out right winger, physically imposing central midfielder (Carlton Palmer / Patrick Viera type), genuine target man (upgrade on Big Dave)

POT DOLLS.

That is cruel, .......but I had to smile !

lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

How do you suggest we get rid of players like fletcher and abdi..both of whom have 2 more years left after this season..on massive wages?

Your absolutely right. That’s the real problem and the legacy of recent transfer policy. Don’t know the answer TBH. Maybe go for mutual termination making them free agents able to negotiate big package at their next club. We’d miss out on a transfer fee but maybe needs must....?

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Your absolutely right. That’s the real problem and the legacy of recent transfer policy. Don’t know the answer TBH. Maybe go for mutual termination making them free agents able to negotiate big package at their next club. We’d miss out on a transfer fee but maybe needs must....?

Whilst I agree in theory , who in their right mind will take either on ?

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Whilst I agree in theory , who in their right mind will take either on ?

Again. Great point. I know it’s drastic but could we just terminate to get a clean slate? Would have to pay up their contracts. Not sure how that effects FFP or whether it would be commercial suicide.

28 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Why would you agree to a mutual termination of your contract in the hope of a big payday when you have two years of great money already guaranteed, not going to happen.

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Why would you agree to a mutual termination of your contract in the hope of a big payday when you have two years of great money already guaranteed, not going to happen.

You’re probably right. But players have agents. If the club and player have a mature discussion “you’re not part of our plans” “you’re free to look for a new club” “permission to speak to other club” “happy for you to go on trial” etc. Termination would only be agreed after a new club is found. But I’m sure that you are right in reality. Modern players seem quite happy to sit in the stands and pick up a pay cheque.

If you have a squad of 16 seasoned pros plus 9 relatively inexperienced youngster, and you have the injury problems we've had this season again, the team you highlight could easily be our starting 11. And we'd beef it up with some u18. 

The principle of youth and experience is sound, but you're suggesting going too far, too quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

You’re probably right. But players have agents. If the club and player have a mature discussion “you’re not part of our plans” “you’re free to look for a new club” “permission to speak to other club” “happy for you to go on trial” etc. Termination would only be agreed after a new club is found. But I’m sure that you are right in reality. Modern players seem quite happy to sit in the stands and pick up a pay cheque.

Like you say, you'd think if a player knew he wasn't going to feature he'd move to play but many in this day and age as we saw with LM are happy to just take the money. I think the reality is we're tied to these players and the best we can hope for is they stay fit. If they do then hopefully JL will find a way of getting the best out of them because make no mistake the two players you mentioned do have quality.

Clearly Abdi has been a terrible signing, so far.  But on the day he signed people were on this site Kleenex in hand waiting for the climax of the official announcement.  It's not impossible that he will still offer us something and I'd be interested to see what Jos can make of him.

Fletcher.  In retrospect we shouldn't have done the deal it's reported we did, but we are where we are.  When fit, he's been good and sometimes excellent for us.  

I'd not be in a great hurry to offload Pudil.  

9 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If you have a squad of 16 seasoned pros plus 9 relatively inexperienced youngster, and you have the injury problems we've had this season again, the team you highlight could easily be our starting 11. And we'd beef it up with some u18. 

The principle of youth and experience is sound, but you're suggesting going too far, too quickly.

To start the thread I was basing my thoughts on the 25 man squad rule that applies in the Premier League. It’s an arbitrary number. Main point was shaping our squad around the promising young guys and adding the right blend and balance of seasoned pros. Aiming to reduce the wage bill long term. Rebuild the connection with the fan base. What squad size do you think we need to carry ideally?

5 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Talking a lot of sense but was the omission of Hooper from your squad deliberate? He's our best player

My first thought. Crazy.

Weve won 2 in 16 since most of our senior players have been injured and now because of one performance loads of people are casting ones like Hooper off. It's unbelievable.