Winger talks Lucas Joao

26 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Do you think Jos would have blooded any kids if we had a fit squad?

Honest question.. I honestly don't think any of them would have got a peep.

Thorniley wouldn't have got a game if Loovens, van Aken, Lees had been fit and available.
Clare wouldn't have got in if Abdi, Bannan, Lee and Hutch had been available.

Jos is getting a bit of an instant legend reputation for playing youngsters, but in reality he had no option but to play them and almost certainly wouldn't have if he'd had a full team like carlos did for most of his time here.

Folk need to calm down a bit. All getting a bit too excited about things that aren't necessarily real.

Do you think Carlos would have blooded any youngsters if he had the squad Jos does? It seemed he'd rather play players carrying serious knocks, or just coming back from injury and not fully fit, rather than resting them and giving fringe/youngsters a game. 

That's why we're in this miss with first team players out for long lengths of time. Tom Lees would have been straight back in as soon as he could run, same with Bannan. And they'd probably be back to the hospital after a few matches like Lee had been. 

6 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

Do you think Carlos would have blooded any youngsters if he had the squad Jos does? It seemed he'd rather play players carrying serious knocks, or just coming back from injury and not fully fit, rather than resting them and giving fringe/youngsters a game. 

That's why we're in this miss with first team players out for long lengths of time. Tom Lees would have been straight back in as soon as he could run, same with Bannan. And they'd probably be back to the hospital after a few matches like Lee had been. 

Tbh, I put that largely down to their respective remits.

Carlos' job was to deliver promotion. Plain and simple, so the pressure was high on him, so he tried to get every drop out of the 'big players' that he could. We can agree that it has ended up being a bad idea, and that it's probably contributed (in part) to the injury crisis we've had for the last few months, but that's the reality of it. If Carlos failed to get promotion this season, I don't think he would have got another year.

Jos on the other hand only really has one job, which is keep us up. Chansiri talked about the playoffs being possible, but even he qualified that as needing a miracle. Jos can lose games, Carlos couldn't. So Jos has more breathing room, can happily let players get back 100% fit, blood a few youngsters if needed and prep for next season.

Carlos has his faults, but he's not crazy. Jos has his upsides, but he's not a messiah (yet).

3 hours ago, robswfc said:

"Enlightened ones"? 

Though a great win on Tuesday- it was our first in six attempts under Jos 

To quote Pulp Fiction- "let's not start sucking each other's d1cks quite yet"

Was it foresight when the same people wanted Carlos out after we dropped out of the playoffs in February 2017 before winning 6 in a row?

Ultimately, Yes.

3 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

I've always rated Joao from day one and also prior to joining us.

Thanks.

Me too.  Always looked like the real deal to me. 

To be fair there are probably just as many on here that have always rated him as those that have not.

37 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Tbh, I put that largely down to their respective remits.

Carlos' job was to deliver promotion. Plain and simple, so the pressure was high on him, so he tried to get every drop out of the 'big players' that he could. We can agree that it has ended up being a bad idea, and that it's probably contributed (in part) to the injury crisis we've had for the last few months, but that's the reality of it. If Carlos failed to get promotion this season, I don't think he would have got another year.

Jos on the other hand only really has one job, which is keep us up. Chansiri talked about the playoffs being possible, but even he qualified that as needing a miracle. Jos can lose games, Carlos couldn't. So Jos has more breathing room, can happily let players get back 100% fit, blood a few youngsters if needed and prep for next season.

Carlos has his faults, but he's not crazy. Jos has his upsides, but he's not a messiah (yet).

I agree that the pressure was in him to get results, but I still see it as poor man management to play unfit players over fringe players and disregarding the risks of causing more (and seemingly in Lee's case, career threatening) injuries. 

1 hour ago, JackSWFC said:

I agree that the pressure was in him to get results, but I still see it as poor man management to play unfit players over fringe players and disregarding the risks of causing more (and seemingly in Lee's case, career threatening) injuries. 

Is that a fair accusation? Lee's had a degenerative issue for a while. That doesn't mean he wasn't fit to play, or didn't want to play. Suggesting that Carlos may have risked ending Lee's career on purpose for selfish reasons seems like quite a big accusation to level unless you have some serious evidence to back it up.