@owlstalk

Old Sheffield Wednesday players - who can you name?

As I remember (and I'm getting old) Bobby Craig was a little Scot with a bald head unlike Gerry Young (the bloke on the photo who scored 3 against Manchester United after converting from left half to centre forward). I saw Tommy Mac (scored against Blanchflower's Spurs) and Alan Finney, Tony Kay (is that Keith Ellis behind Ron Springett? Didn't he score 3 against Man Utd when Wednesday beat them 7-2 at Old Trafford 62 or '63?), Red Froggatt, Tommy Craig (wonderful player). Is that Ron Shiner (after whom I was named) and I had the cigarette cards of Jimmy Seed and Walter Millership. Some cracking memories in that lot! Many thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

the real bobby craig ,,,,,

bobby_craig_med.jpg

Bobby Craig, trendy flat top back in the day (60/61ish) decent inside forward too

7 hours ago, ash60s said:

Bobby Craig, trendy flat top back in the day (60/61ish) decent inside forward too

crew cut ....was all the rage .

Short crew cut maybe? I was small at the time! Didn’t we get him from Third Lanark ? Stretching the old brain cells a bit there. Is Third Lanark the weirdest name for a football club?

Just looked it up! Third Lanark was derived from the Third Lanarkshire Volunteers in 1872! 

Fascinating history on Wikipedia...

7 hours ago, Elderly Owl said:

Short crew cut maybe? I was small at the time! Didn’t we get him from Third Lanark ? Stretching the old brain cells a bit there. Is Third Lanark the weirdest name for a football club?

No mate there is a club called The Weirdest in one of South American countries and what I always giggle at, team from Norway called...................Odd!!!

On 15/02/2018 at 12:31, @owlstalk said:

J.E. Davison, Goalkeeper, Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

He must've been an amazing keeper, not a chance the ball is getting past him. 

On 27/02/2018 at 00:20, Lord Snooty said:

This one of Jimmy Seed..

5757135f70d4e_JohnSeedSheffieldWednesday.jpg.ffd5897b008d8c1d8a9dcb920cfbf5fd.jpg

image of Hirsty Snr 

I suppose that being able to remember some of these players, beats the hell out of the alternative.  WTF: