Defence tonight

Thought the back four looked solid at all times tonight - including Loovens who’s had his best game for us for a long time. 

Pudil continues to perform better in the CB role and Venancio, a few wrong passes first half, still improves every game and reads the game so well. 

Something to build on and with Lees coming back in, it’s falling back into place. 

Certainly much, much better than of late.  Some ferocious tackles from everyone in the back line and midfield tonight.  Determination showed through - we weren't going to concede tonight.  Well done Jos for getting them organised and also they looked highly motivated tonight.  As I've said in other threads - best performance of the season. 

we kept 4 clean sheets in 25 games league and cup under CC this season.

2 clean sheets in 4 games for Lee Bullen, (1 of those shutouts was with JL watching from stand having been appointed)

5 clean sheets in 8 games under Jos. 

with first choice keeper and centre backs out, yet still make us more solid, while blooding youngsters..

remarkable job. he must be licking his lips at the thought of bannan/hoper/FF to add extra dimension at the other end of the pitch.

the futures bright. the futures Orange. 

Back four? 

The starting positions of our wing backs was a big difference for me. Palmer and Fox are so deep and thus make us a back 5. Tonight Hunt and Boyd made it a back 3 by playing far further up the pitch. Look at Hunt's positioning for our two goals, for the first he lays a fantastic ball from Reach off in the oppo's box for Joao to slot home and if you look at the second, Hunt is the furthest player forward when Joao scores. 

9 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

we kept 4 clean sheets in 25 games league and cup under CC this season.

2 clean sheets in 4 games for Lee Bullen, (1 of those shutouts was with JL watching from stand having been appointed)

5 clean sheets in 8 games under Jos. 

with first choice keeper and centre backs out, yet still make us more solid, while blooding youngsters..

remarkable job. he must be licking his lips at the thought of bannan/hoper/FF to add extra dimension at the other end of the pitch.

the futures bright. the futures Orange. 

It's that sort of clean sheet ratio that gives a team a real chance of automatic promotion, doesn't it. 

:stuwinky:

An improvement tonight, but against a better attacking side we could have been in trouble. We look very vulnerable every time someone runs at us. Lack of pace and at times we look like statues. Massive improvement needed if we are to challenge next season!

new CH needed and definitely a new LB.....

1 minute ago, SS Owl said:

An improvement tonight, but against a better attacking side we could have been in trouble. We look very vulnerable every time someone runs at us. Lack of pace and at times we look like statues. Massive improvement needed if we are to challenge next season!

new CH needed and definitely a new LB.....

Tom Lees to come back and the youngsters will only get better.

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

Back four? 

The starting positions of our wing backs was a big difference for me. Palmer and Fox are so deep and thus make us a back 5. Tonight Hunt and Boyd made it a back 3 by playing far further up the pitch. Look at Hunt's positioning for our two goals, for the first he lays a fantastic ball from Reach off in the oppo's box for Joao to slot home and if you look at the second, Hunt is the furthest player forward when Joao scores. 

Yes, two wingers instead of two full backs.

3 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

It's that sort of clean sheet ratio that gives a team a real chance of automatic promotion, doesn't it. 

:stuwinky:

For some reason,  I read that and just did a "Muttley laugh/snigger" (from Wackey Races, cartoon)... If you can remember the 70's that is? 

3 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

For some reason,  I read that and just did a "Muttley laugh/snigger" (from Wackey Races, cartoon)... If you can remember the 70's that is? 

Indeed I can. Born in 1970 and loved Dastardly and Muttley. 

At last we've got a pacey forward who can score.

Joao just needs building up a bit, that's all.

This season has been terrible, but if he comes good between now and the end of the season, coupled with the emergence of Venancio and some of the young players, then it won't have all been bad.

It was never going to happen under Carlos, and at least this injury crisis will give other a chance.

I wouldn’t have played 3 at the back tonight but we did and it worked.

We made a lot better job of the wing backs pushing on and the centre halfs then covering across behind them.

Showed to me that the two wide centre defenders need to be mobile if we are to make it work in both an attacking and defensive way

If Lees gets fit needs to play in the middle of the 3

15 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

At last we've got a pacey forward who can score.

Joao just needs building up a bit, that's all.

This season has been terrible, but if he comes good between now and the end of the season, coupled with the emergence of Venancio and some of the young players, then it won't have all been bad.

It was never going to happen under Carlos, and at least this injury crisis will give other a chance.

Good points mate, I agree with giving youngsters a chance, it's about time !