South America - 5 month trip

On 21/10/2018 at 05:27, 442 said:

One way flight booked to Cartegena.

Visit Old Town Cartagena, as you pass under the clock int2018-01-16_07_59_04.thumb.jpg.753e1cd6c173242ed92a5e830a854793.jpgo old town it opens up into a small square, in front over on the left under the arches (see photo) great ceviche bar. 

2018-01-16_08_00_54.thumb.jpg.5e6fcb1c1c4ccbb29a9f8747359d07fc.jpg

• Like 2

Get yourself to Barranquilla for the carnival. It is early March. One hell of a party. Cartagena is beautiful. Most beautiful city I've seen outside of Europe. If you head to Tayrona avoid Taganga and maybe Palomino. There's very good chance you'll get robbed there if you're mistaken for an American. Never been there, but the locals we met told us it was a no-go and not worth visiting anyway. Don't let it put you off going to Tayrona though, easily the highlight of Northern Colombia (along with Minca).

Don't worry about Zika. We slept anywhere and everywhere when we went (at the height of the crisis in 2016). Brazil had it much worse. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2018 at 01:57, IWEDFM said:

If you have time get yourself over here to Argentina

Iguazu, Calafate, Patagonia, Salta, Mendoza, Cordoba are all well worth a visit

I'd echo this.....Iguazu falls is fantastic.....and get your self to Buenos Aires and a football match (though probably not Boca v River Plate!)

7 hours ago, 442 said:

Probably gonna pie off Chile, Ecuador & maybe a few others. 

Dont think ive enough time or money to fit everything in.

Haven't read through the rest of the thread so not sure where you are heading to, but..........

Chile's decent on a tight budget - you can eat out for the equivalent of £5 a meal (2 courses).

If you are able to get into the Northern parts around San Pedro de Atacama, it's worth visiting, especially if you're into star gazing as there's plenty of observatories to visit. 

All depends on what you wanna do when you're there I suppose. 

edit - just read your original OP. 

re practicing Spanish - outside of Santiago in Chile, it's very basic English most people speak so you'd have to have a reasonable grasp of Spanish if you visit some of the more rural towns. 

Edited by WatfordOwl

9 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

Haven't read through the rest of the thread so not sure where you are heading to, but..........

Chile's decent on a tight budget - you can eat out for the equivalent of £5 a meal (2 courses).

If you are able to get into the Northern parts around San Pedro de Atacama, it's worth visiting, especially if you're into star gazing as there's plenty of observatories to visit. 

All depends on what you wanna do when you're there I suppose. 

edit - just read your original OP. 

re practicing Spanish - outside of Santiago in Chile, it's very basic English most people speak so you'd have to have a reasonable grasp of Spanish if you visit some of the more rural towns. 

Ah, I expected Chile to be one of the most expensive countries to visit, which is why we’ve thought about cutting it out. 

We don’t have a concrete plan yet. Sorta gonna go with the flow, if we like somewhere we’ll stay for a bit longer and vice versa.

Luckily my girlfriend is fluent in Spanish so we should have no problems. 

Thanks for the tips!

On 01/02/2019 at 06:44, 442 said:

Ah, I expected Chile to be one of the most expensive countries to visit, which is why we’ve thought about cutting it out. 

We don’t have a concrete plan yet. Sorta gonna go with the flow, if we like somewhere we’ll stay for a bit longer and vice versa.

Luckily my girlfriend is fluent in Spanish so we should have no problems. 

Thanks for the tips!

Chile price wise is similar to Argentina, very cheap for tourists

Uruguay on the other hand is a South American country with European prices so if you're on a budget I would stay away

23 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Chile price wise is similar to Argentina, very cheap for tourists

Uruguay on the other hand is a South American country with European prices so if you're on a budget I would stay away

Supposed to be the most pleasant, safe and European out of the other nations in South America,