Jos "I have the trust in Jordan Rhodes"

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Would be good to have an update to that one @Ash76 if it's poss?

Not vs Hooper though - just on his own :)

He’s not exactly played much but when I get half hour I’ll have a look

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

But it's not really a case of being doubters but a case of being realistic. How many games/chances should he be given? 

We have to judge him on what we have seen in the last 12 months and not on what he did three years ago.

I think we have to give him an opportunity under the new regime with the rest of the squad back to see how he may be incorporated into a different system.

That said he's got to earn the right to be playing again and from what I've seen of both Joao and Nuhiu recently, I'd say he's comfortably behind the pair of them for a start.

It's a shame it's not gone the way any of us would have hoped for him this season but I don't think he's the only one - Fletcher has an equally poor return.

2 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I think we have to give him an opportunity under the new regime with the rest of the squad back to see how he may be incorporated into a different system.

That said he's got to earn the right to be playing again and from what I've seen of both Joao and Nuhiu recently, I'd say he's comfortably behind the pair of them for a start.

It's a shame it's not gone the way any of us would have hoped for him this season but I don't think he's the only one - Fletcher has an equally poor return.

True but Fletcher contributes more to the general play and didn't cost £8m+.

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

True but Fletcher contributes more to the general play and didn't cost £8m+.

But still a significant contribution wages wise you'd expect............

I think either way, we have a few on our books that we haven't seen the best of.

Hopefully retaining Championship status and a decent pre-season will see us get the best out of them but we have to start being more ruthless with players that don't do enough, move them.

It's something we've struggled for years to address and not just under the current regime either.

On 22/11/2017 at 21:56, jonnyowl said:

Really happy that we have got a point against another bang average side!

That was worse than Saturday!

Bet that was a great point too!

Unbeaten in 5! 6 wins in 18!

On 08/02/2018 at 12:32, Animal said:

and we signed nobody, we only have ourselves to blame. Zero cover and players are still getting injured. wish this season would just end now. 

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thanks mate

Be interesting to have a look just out of sheer curiosity

Be interesting to see who he's played next too aswell (if anyone)... Since the general theory is that he works well in a strike partnership... I'd say that he needs a reasonable run in the team next to someone he can build up an understanding with before he can be fully judged...

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thanks mate

Be interesting to have a look just out of sheer curiosity

Appearances 25, goals 4 and 30 shots of which 43% were on target.

Goals to attempts ratio for this season is 13.3%, slight improvement on last season but still no where near his roughly 1 in 5 at Blackburn. 

Hooper delivered 1 in 3 for us 15/16 & 16/17

7 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Fletcher is gash...adds nothing that Nuhiu can't do.....

Just wondering if those audio commentary headphones for the blind are any good?

tbh he is no worse than any we have got that are fit at the moment ,but that said Jos is right the knack or footballing brain (whichever you choose to call it never disappears , legs may go pace disappears but positioning and what to do does not  sorry but i say it is down to confidence in his ability that is troubling him  and having been in that position as a striker  it takes a lot of work and luck to get out of it ,

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

In most other Championship sides, he’d get even less of a look in A lot use just the one striker, and the better sides would want a higher energy levels The more tradional pairings tend only to be found in the lower leagues A shame, but Jordan has failed adapt to the modern game

Totally disagree...us as a club haven’t adapted, We’ve stood still!! Rhodes in the right formation alongside the right type of players is a goal scorer...no one can deny that because his 1 in 2 record proves it beyond debate.

Sadly I feel we could ruin messi in this current side. 

What i I can’t understand amongst us wednesday fans is that at the moment most seem to clambering for Nuhiu to start, who lets put it black and white as score 4 goals in 12/13 months at an average of 1 in 8. Yet we quick to jump on the back of a proven goal scorer who as a career record of a goal every 2 games and ruin his confidence even further. Most blinded by the fee paid...get over it and back him!! 

14 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

What i I can’t understand amongst us wednesday fans is that at the moment most seem to clambering for Nuhiu to start, who lets put it black and white as score 4 goals in 12/13 months at an average of 1 in 8. Yet we quick to jump on the back of a proven goal scorer who as a career record of a goal every 2 games and ruin his confidence even further. Most blinded by the fee paid...get over it and back him!! 

There's much more to being an effective striker than the simplistic number of goals an individual scores. If the team is winning games, then the unit is working, however the goals are distributed. No one judges defenders anything like to the same extent based on tackles and clearances etc. Using this '1 in 2' logic, if a bloke scores in the first minute of a game, he's basically done enough to justify his place even if he spends the next 179 minutes sat in a deck chair, whereas someone who is creating chances, registering assists, winning possession back for his team, relieving pressure by holding the ball up and helping out in his own penalty area at times is a failure by comparison. 

But if statistics are your thing, then Rhodes is not particularly distinguishing himself whether you measure by shooting accuracy, minutes per goal, assists or all of them in combination...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

According to whoscored.com, Nuhiu played the equivalent of a little over 4 full games last season in the league. Given that he is not renowned as a goalscorer as such in the first place, it's hardly surprising he didn't get one in that meagre period. But since Boxing Day we have scored just 7 goals and he has been involved in 6 of them (4 scored, 2 assists). Despite his obvious limitations, it's difficult to suggest he isn't doing his job well at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There's much more to being an effective striker than the simplistic number of goals an individual scores. If the team is winning games, then the unit is working, however the goals are distributed. No one judges defenders anything like to the same extent based on tackles and clearances etc. Using this '1 in 2' logic, if a bloke scores in the first minute of a game, he's basically done enough to justify his place even if he spends the next 179 minutes sat in a deck chair, whereas someone who is creating chances, registering assists, winning possession back for his team, relieving pressure by holding the ball up and helping out in his own penalty area at times is a failure by comparison. 

But if statistics are your thing, then Rhodes is not particularly distinguishing himself whether you measure by shooting accuracy, minutes per goal, assists or all of them in combination...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

According to whoscored.com, Nuhiu played the equivalent of a little over 4 full games last season in the league. Given that he is not renowned as a goalscorer as such in the first place, it's hardly surprising he didn't get one in that meagre period. But since Boxing Day we have scored just 7 goals and he has been involved in 6 of them (4 scored, 2 assists). Despite his obvious limitations, it's difficult to suggest he isn't doing his job well at the moment. 

We've won 7 league games. Rhodes has started 3 of them. Nuhiu hasn't started any of them.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

I’ve often wondered, if it wasn’t for that game, would our fans have been so desperate for him to sign.

He was perfect that day.

But... it was lg 1

Watched that Udders 4-4 game yesterday.  His finishing was Premier League level.  What the eff happened??

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Rhodes is lacking in confidence, and his goal scoring instinct, probably hasn’t left him, but it’s missing the point

A fit and firing Rhodes might be good, but at this level, that’s not enough from a striker these days That’s the problem

I would imagine people who haven't read your 'Winnall isn't good enough for the Championship' (even though his record is a goal every other game overall and that includes games for CC!) nonsense may take this seriously.....but I read it. WTF:

The whole argument that football has moved on and jr or whoever hasn't is ridiculous. Someone once said that football is a simple game complicated by fools or idiots (I can't remember which) and he wasn't far wrong and cc proved that. You win games by scoring more goals than the opposites and over the last 5-7 seasons in the division we're in now jr has the best record at that (& as the fat Spanish waiter would say "that is a fact"). Should we have signed jr, were we set up to play to his strengths are both questions that are too late to ask. He has missed plenty of good chances this season which I would have expected a striker of his pedigree to take but for a large portion of this season the quality of players around him has been poor so he maybe snatching at the chances because he's not sure when another will come along. It's crystal clear that his confidence is seriously low so that needs building up and I'd be tempted to say to him that he will start every game alongside nuhiu until the end of the season so he knows he has a run of games in front of him and that might relax him. I do hope he can turn it around because the majority of the fan base were clamouring for us to sign him for years and now we have. He is the only striker we have on our books that is currently fit that is capable of scoring the number of goals we need to win the games to stay up.

Edited by damianb1

11 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Totally disagree...us as a club haven’t adapted, We’ve stood still!! Rhodes in the right formation alongside the right type of players is a goal scorer...no one can deny that because his 1 in 2 record proves it beyond debate.

Sadly I feel we could ruin messi in this current side. 

That's fair enough, but you have a player who is lacking or as no confidence in the starting line up. What exactly do you think the other 10 are thinking. Could be anything from, ' he will come good again hopefully in this game' to 'Jesus do we have to carry him again and its like playing with 10 men' . Who knows. But one thing is clear this is not just about Jordan Rhodes.