Jump to content


@owlstalk

Favourite away wins..

Recommended Posts



Specifically the Chelsea semi final at Villa Park in 1966 (plus all the away games that led up to the final). 

 

I went to all except for the first game at Reading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has to be the 2-0 victory at Anfield for me.  Sat in what was almost a subterranean seat on the touchline watching the game from boot level.  The ball was out of sight when on the floor on the far side due to the camber on the pitch.  Sat right behind Varadi when he hit it, took forever, and could not tell if it would go in or not due to the very narrow angle of the goal.  Went mental!  Got drunk in Castleton on way home, was absolutely buzzing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

One of the best that I can remember was the FA Cup tie at Wolves back in 89 when Dalian Atkinson scored and back then you used to stand next to the Wolves fans on the big terrace as half their ground was condemned due to the Bradford fire rulings on wooden stands etc.

 

When Dalian scored the lot went up and as a young lad stood on the fencing that separated us it was bouncing, outside was even more entertaining.

Remember it vividly. They missed a first half pen.  Then went a goal up on about 70' against the run of play.  But we won and it was exciting. Aftet a dire start to the season which would have seen Owlstalk burn itself to ashes we were emerging as a good side. I had a 66/1 voucher for us to win the cup - and every time we have won the cup we beat wolves on the way.

 

So we duly lost in R4. And got relegated.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Remember it vividly. They missed a first half pen.  Then went a goal up on about 70' against the run of play.  But we won and it was exciting. Aftet a dire start to the season which would have seen Owlstalk burn itself to ashes we were emerging as a good side. I had a 66/1 voucher for us to win the cup - and every time we have won the cup we beat wolves on the way.

 

So we duly lost in R4. And got relegated.

 

And spookily a decade later we beat Wolves in round 3 - then lost in round 4 to GIllingham and got relegated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackburn 2-4 (Unreal night)

Forest 0-1 (Sheridans debut!)

Chelsea 0-2 cup semi final first leg

Ipswich 0-2 1990 first game of season

Leicester 1990 1-4 - owls fans everywhere

As mentioned, West Brom away 1-2 win (in last 2 minutes - scenes)

Barnsley 1987 - Hirst diving header - scenes all round ground

Villa away 0-1 (Jemson goal against Les Sealey)

 

Could go on all day tbh, so many good days out !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Blackburn 2-4 (Unreal night)

Forest 0-1 (Sheridans debut!)

Chelsea 0-2 cup semi final first leg

Ipswich 0-2 1990 first game of season

Leicester 1990 1-4 - owls fans everywhere

As mentioned, West Brom away 1-2 win (in last 2 minutes - scenes)

Barnsley 1987 - Hirst diving header - scenes all round ground

Villa away 0-1 (Jemson goal against Les Sealey)

 

Could go on all day tbh, so many good days out !!!

That game I stood on the Holte End and when Jemson hit the bar in the first half when it was easier to score I surged down the terracing, when he scored discretion was the better part of valour and we jumped over onto the pitch all 2 of usWTF: the stewards were going throw us back in.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall Sealey (RIP) going beserk after the game trying to get hold of the ref as he said it hadn't cross the line... we didn't care ! About 30 of us went on coach there, got a bit mental before as we tried to get in a Villa boozer & then after the game lol. We ended up down Attercliffe for some reason on way back & cannot think how or why we did. Still no clue how I got home to this day ha ha !

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alanharper said:

 

And spookily a decade later we beat Wolves in round 3 - then lost in round 4 to GIllingham and got relegated.

 

The kids were really young at that time so fortunately i didn't go so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Birmingham away in Carlos first year.

 

Westwood injured during the game, Lee injured during the warmup, absolutley peeing down with rain. Losing 1-0 at halftime.

 

Then we scored one of the best team goals ive ever seen and Hooper completes the turn around.

 

Add to that the famous video of those brummies in the executive box when we scored our second - it was a superb weekend!

 

Soaked wet through walking back into Birmingham, but absolutely buzzing.

 

Special mention to Newcastle on Boxing Day and Brentford too.

Edited by Shifty Powers
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ipswich last season when Lee scored the only goal with about 10/15 minutes left.

 

Mainly because it was youngest daughter's first ever away day/weekend.

 

Other factors include Wednesdayites relentlessly taking the p.iss out of the Ipswich mascot at half time to the point where it nearly had a breakdown.

(Wtf is it anyway, if it's a horse it wants putting down).

 

Taking absolute delight in the fact that Leeds were 'falling apart again' at home to Norwich, which in turn annoyed Ipswich fans even more, and they already looked like they were on death row awaiting their last meal.

 

Lovely, sunny day.

Great atmosphere in boozer (Station Hotel?) across road from train station.

 

Ipswich fans we spoke to made us feel welcome and put daughter at ease, and will be forever grateful to the one who sprinted down the road to return my match tickets which had fallen out of my bag in town centre.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa away 1-0 in the league Cup 2001 or 2002

 

Birmingham away around the same time when Di Piedi scored the winner 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The greatest away of all time was the 5 - 1 thrashing of Notts County in 1974, back when they had wooden stands that use to bounce along with you.

 

I think it was Ron Springett's last game for us, but I could be making that bit up!

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

The greatest away of all time was the 5 - 1 thrashing of Notts County in 1974, back when they had wooden stands that use to bounce along with you.

 

I think it was Ron Springett's last game for us, but I could be making that bit up!

 

 

 

Ron had long gone. Might have been Peter's last match though. But I think he'd already left too.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WBA been mentioned a few time, but a different game at the Hawthorns, or is it two. Someone with a better memory can clarify.

 

About 10 years ago. Evening match, live on Sky, but a big turn out.  0-0 minutes to go, low cross from Brunt, turned in at far post by Burton(?) or was it saved? 1-0.

 

Was it a different game where big Leon came on as a late sub, got grief from the home fans, but wound up their players and got Robinson sent off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

WBA been mentioned a few time, but a different game at the Hawthorns, or is it two. Someone with a better memory can clarify.

 

About 10 years ago. Evening match, live on Sky, but a big turn out.  0-0 minutes to go, low cross from Brunt, turned in at far post by Burton(?) or was it saved? 1-0.

 

Was it a different game where big Leon came on as a late sub, got grief from the home fans, but wound up their players and got Robinson sent off?

 

The game everybody's talking about was in 1990 when we were a goal down until the last couple of minutes and won 2-1.

 

I remember this other 1-0 win game though - largely because it was on my birthday, and I'd just bought myself (cos nobody else would) one of those newfangled Xbox 360s that morning and had to switch it off to watch the match. WBA had 2 players sent off in injury time, but I can't remember what for.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hirstyno9 said:

 

Indeed, another great day. That season we were an absolute joy to watch.

 

 

 

We might just have posted that at exactly the same time  :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×