Untapped Talent Pool

I've lived and worked in Indonesia for 10 years now. There is a population of 280 million people, 35% of whom are under 25 (apparently). We could do much worse than send a scout or 2 here. The raw talent among lads kicking around in the neighbourhoods is absolutely unbelievable. And talk about the likely desire to succeed..? Could we offer say 3 scholarships in our academy, to potential players from Indonesia? The reason there's no success here is a lack of investment in facilities and infrastructure. The prem league in Indonesia is north-East counties standard and at that point the potential sees nowhere else to go - no incentive to better themselves further and so the enthusiasm peters out. If they were given an opportunity to succeed at a club like ours and earn salaries they'd only dreamt of, I feel confident that we might just succeed in nurturing summat pretty special.. And I reckon there'd be an incredible loyalty factor built-in there, having given such talented players their chance to succeed...

Guest Bulgaria

or here in Bulgaria. I go to many local games in Varna and also go and watch Ludogorets who gave Liverpool a scare a few years ago. The standard is around div one in most cases but now and again i see a player who could easily step up.

I was pleased we took a punt on Sergei Bus the other year but we just didnt give him a chance at Hillsboro. The miss he made at Newcastle sealed his fate imho, but from what i had seen of him previously, he seemed to have an eye for goal and was a pest up front.... bit similar to Winnall.

Picking up talent in the far east wouldn't cost much but it would be a long term project to develop the players to first team level. I'm not sure we are thinking long term as a club. It's a case of get to the Premiership or bust. If we were thinking long term we would be upgrading the training facilities and the academy, also organising a proper old fashioned scouting network rather than relying on Doyen and the like.

Maybe if we get to the premiership we will start to think long term but I have my doubts, it's easier to buy in talent than develop your own once you have premiership money.

57 minutes ago, prowl said:

Picking up talent in the far east wouldn't cost much but it would be a long term project to develop the players to first team level. I'm not sure we are thinking long term as a club. It's a case of get to the Premiership or bust. If we were thinking long term we would be upgrading the training facilities and the academy, also organising a proper old fashioned scouting network rather than relying on Doyen and the like.

Maybe if we get to the premiership we will start to think long term but I have my doubts, it's easier to buy in talent than develop your own once you have premiership money.

We have been lacking this forethought for the last 50 years, always spending money chasing a 'Get rich quick' attitude by pouring money into the 1st team only.

Hence we have an infrastructure that is years behind the rest of the League.

On 12/2/2018 at 18:11, StudentOwl said:

What are the legal implications of bringing young Indonesian men over here to play football? Like work permits and whatnot.

Valid concern , but I think that a scholarship system would pave the way to a student visa type permit being available