Fans at games abusing their own players

Just now, bradowl said:

When our supporters started chanting his name.... We've got Tommy Spurr Tommy Spurr we've got Tommy Spurr....

Never sung that and never heard anybody sing it..he's a 3rd division food and drink steady Eddie..just like rovrums Richard wood..he's not an x78..he's more like a X1 to quilter rd

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Sterland, Sheridan, Bright, Bartman to name but a few.

Unfortunately brainless, moronic insults from brainless moronic Wednesdayites have been around for a very long time, not just a new phenomenon exclusive to Owlstalk!

Every club on earth has their moaners Id argue we are one of the most behaved if anything

2 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Never sung that and never heard anybody sing it..he's a 3rd division food and drink steady Eddie..just like rovrums Richard wood..he's not an x78..he's more like a X1 to quilter rd

:tango: Cus we sang it, you were probably too busy booing other players. :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unkastav said:

Every club on earth has their moaners Id argue we are one of the most behaved if anything

Not according to the club loyalists on here...were the only fans that..boo..moan..get drunk..throw fireworks at disabled African lesbians..take drugs..are not happy to pay most for so little ..yadda yadda yadda

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield alien said:

Not according to the club loyalists on here...were the only fans that..boo..moan..get drunk..throw fireworks at disabled African lesbians..take drugs..are not happy to pay most for so little ..yadda yadda yadda

Yeah, in your own words pal, there are loyalists amongst us and unfortunately a small element of whiners and whingers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Is this a relatively new thing? I can’t really remember it happening much prior to the advent of the Internet forum. 

I hear loads giving dog’s abuse to our players home and away now - it’s seems that there is more abuse than singing at times. 

Am I correct or just viewing the past through rose-tinted glasses. 

The wonderful Gerry Young got a lot of stick from the crowd in his early days.

Then Harry Catterick moved him from striker to wing half (defensive midfielder)

He was a revelationn, loved by the fans and stayed in the team for years and years.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lichfield alien said:

Hmmmmm ACCUSED of being “club loyalists “ on a dedicated Wednesday forum ???

Guest Bulgaria
12 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair Chris Morris was absolutely shocking when switched to full back. But he gave 100% and never hid. Not his fault the manager picked him 

Years ago, i went to night match away at Middlesboro, think we lost 1-0... it was brutal and Chris Morris had an absolute shocker, nowt went right for him.

The following night i was at a party in Dronfield and Chris Morris was there, i was a bit star struck as i was only around 20 i think .  i went to say hello and shake his hand and he seemed a real nice bloke, Said that he was one of the best players at Middlesboro the previous night and the manager loved him!!  Nearly choked on my cocktail sausage.

When i told him i was actually at the match he looked a little red to say the least.

20 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

It hasn't made it worse either, it just allows shallow mindless people to expose themselves for the idiots they actually are in a way that we wouldn't have been privy too in days of old.

That's not aimed at you mate, just a general observation.

No worries.

And I respectfully disagree. I do feel it has made it worse. 

I realize a lot of messed up poo was already going down before the 'net arrived. Now it seems there is even more. 

Just now, pachyderm said:

I realize a lot of messed up poo was already going down before the 'net arrived. Now it seems there is even more. 

Football is way way way more complex now than it was back then though

More 'advisors', agents, contractual issues, fitness and diet regimes, tiered ticket pricing, FFP etc etc

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Football is way way way more complex now than it was back then though

More 'advisors', agents, contractual issues, fitness and diet regimes, tiered ticket pricing, FFP etc etc

I'm not talking about "just football". 

I'm talking bigger picture... 

But yeah, I agree with ya on that too.  

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair Chris Morris was absolutely shocking when switched to full back. But he gave 100% and never hid. Not his fault the manager picked him 

Not sure he was "absolutely shocking". You've substantiated the point of this thread even more.  He was a decent squad player (at least) in a Wednesday side that was promoted to the top flight and then finished 8th and 5th respectively in the top flight before he left in 87. He was only 20 when he made his debut and was versatile to play right wing, right back, left back and 3rd centre half in a back 3/5  The abuse he received was totally disproportionate to overall level of performance.

He left us to play for Celtic when the Scottish league was at least remotely decent, then went on to play in the top flight again for Middlesbro not to mention being an important part of the ROI that qualified for the Euros in 88 and World Cup in 90.