No Team Could Withstand A Similar Injury Crisis

4 hours ago, wattagit said:

The injuries are real and with so many 1st choice players out even the big boys wouldn't cope

SWFC                           Man City                     Man Utd                       Liverpool

Westwood                    Ederson                      De Gea                         Mignolet

Hunt                             Walker                        Valencia                        Clyne
Lees                             Kompany                    Bailey                            Virgil
Loovens                       Otamendi                   Jones                            Matip

Bannan                        Kev DB                       Pogba                           Henderson
Lee                               Silva                           Matic                            Lalana

Hutchinson                  Fernandinho                Herrara                        can

hooper                         Aguero                        Sanches                       Salah
Fletcher                       Jesus                          Lukaku                         Mane

Abdi                             Sterling                       Martial                          Firmino
van aken                      stones                        smalling                        Lovren

not for one minute saying our players are of the same quality but in terms of importance to us and there respective teams they are

but i guarantee that none of them 3 clubs would be anywhere near the top 4 if they had those players out for the length of

time ours have been missing

It’s true, but most other clubs would have been a bit more proactive in doing something about it

Yeah, there's no team in the world that can absorb a large number of injuries to key players without it having an adverse effect on performances/results.

Anecdotal: a guy I knew from University got a job working for a firm that places large bets with asian bookmakers.  There'd be a team of them working full-time to analyse various bits of data to try and get an edge over the bookies, and I've quizzed him before as to what they're mainly looking for.  He's a bit coy over it and can't reveal too much, but one thing he mentioned is that despite all of the minute analysis that goes on, one of the best and simplest ways to analyse a match from a betting perspective is just to look at a teams injury list.  He said that losing three important players usually has an noticeable impact on a team's performance (I guess the tough part is working out how important a particular individual player is to a team), and that the betting markets don't usually move enough to reflect this.

I'd imagine that Wednesday are exactly the sort of team they'd be betting heavily against at the moment.

I guess that I'm trying to say is that a point at Barnsley isn't a bad result, all things considered

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

If the youngsters had been used in the first team squad more regularly by Carlos then perhaps we would have been able to cope a little better . 

Strength in depth throughout the squad would have prevented us playing players who hardly know each other. 

What!

Take Carlos out of the equation, then if any manager had played our "youngsters" our squad players would have got less time on the pitch and would know each other less.

Maybe a problem with such a large squad but then again, without it, we would have the full U23s out there every week.

7 hours ago, wattagit said:

Add to that we also have Forestieri missing christ its been that long since weve seen him i forgot to include him

And Matias. He's been missin for 2 years but he's shown that when fit he'd be a good player. Apart from Reach, who starts every game you could easily argue we have an entire first team plus 2 subs out. 

Guest Jack the Hat

Good post. Injuries have been horrific this season. Beyond horrific. We would be challenging for play offs otherwise. Transfer wise our biggest mistake was signing the unproven van aken rather than the a proven CB such as Harley Dean. Had we not bought Rhodes and stuck with Wunnal we would also be better. I also think the lack of creativity should be addressed from our current set of development players before paying big bucks in the market. A bit of direction from a proper manager was all that is needed and a bit of a squad trim . 

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

we certainly cant that's for sure ....I think the sides we've been turning out since jos arrived have done all that can be expected of them . 

Totally agree mate, and thats why i just cannot believe there are some on here having a go at Jos. 

It beggars belief. 

6 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

No need for facts on here that's not what's required at all. 

Last season was poo Owlstalk said so and everyone should have realised after finishing 6th then 4th we needed a change. 

I get where you are here Coops but all aside you could draw comparisons with the Leeds Champions league failure and last season for us  ..

In a game of poker I believe its called "all in"? 

Well Leeds lost big time when they went "all in"...

And so have we,  the shirts off our backs (even they are the wrong shirts)

I'm afraid we have cashed in all our chips for now .........

Vast majority of these heroes played many times this season and you were still babbar. 

I agree it’s the lengthiest injury list I’ve known, and yes with everyone available you’d be doing better. But I don’t think you’d be much better. 

It can’t be bad luck. Either your medical department are useless or some of these players are cowards. Not great either way. 

1 minute ago, W H I T E Y said:

Vast majority of these heroes played many times this season and you were still babbar. 

I agree it’s the lengthiest injury list I’ve known, and yes with everyone available you’d be doing better. But I don’t think you’d be much better. 

It can’t be bad luck. Either your medical department are useless or some of these players are cowards. Not great either way. 

Yeah but having them all out at once is a bit different though. Hooper has been vital for instance and we sorely miss the likes of FF.

And I agree its not bad luck and something is up behind the scenes.

Guest Bulgaria
17 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

I remember a thread a year or so ago 'How would we do in this league, playing our second string' Some crazy replies, top 6, any of our second string would waltz into most championship sides...etc etc.

Well now we are finding out....

Wallace

Jones

Boyd

hunt

reach

fox

wildsmith

Rhodes

Fred

Pudil

Loovens

all available for the past few weeks.   Hardly 2nd string.... in fact many on here would say they should be in our starting 11.   maybe not Fox... i will give you that one.... but replace him with Atty.  Not a bad side on paper is that, and very expensive.

Injuries are becoming an accepted excuse for our inept displays.

22 hours ago, wattagit said:

The injuries are real and with so many 1st choice players out even the big boys wouldn't cope

SWFC                           Man City                     Man Utd                       Liverpool

Westwood                    Ederson                      De Gea                         Mignolet

Hunt                             Walker                        Valencia                        Clyne
Lees                             Kompany                    Bailey                            Virgil
Loovens                       Otamendi                   Jones                            Matip

Bannan                        Kev DB                       Pogba                           Henderson
Lee                               Silva                           Matic                            Lalana

Hutchinson                  Fernandinho                Herrara                        can

hooper                         Aguero                        Sanches                       Salah
Fletcher                       Jesus                          Lukaku                         Mane

Abdi                             Sterling                       Martial                          Firmino
van aken                      stones                        smalling                        Lovren

not for one minute saying our players are of the same quality but in terms of importance to us and there respective teams they are

but i guarantee that none of them 3 clubs would be anywhere near the top 4 if they had those players out for the length of

time ours have been missing

Obviously living in Lancashire I work with a few Preston fans. They had a similar crisis ( 11 players injured ) and went on an awful run around November time. Without that run they would be top four or something according to statistics. Now their players have come back they are back challenging for top 6 again, it’s no coincidence. Teams can’t cope with 10+ injuries, it’s ridiculous.