pay on dayers

We are a payg ticket family this year, we have 3 kid's from 9 up to 19. Me and the other half work irregular shifts over weekends, and with the family stuff we can't guarantee how often we will get. We had season tickets for all up to 3 year's ago, but changes of jobs meant the 2 year's before this we just bought membership. Last year things were extra hectic, so even the cost of the membership didn't really feel like it payed for itself. Also with the eldest kids getting more independent, it can be anywhere between 1 and the 3 of them that we bring.

This year we have managed about half of the home games and I haven't really worried about paying the into the early £30's, as regardless of the match we enjoy the day (the ups and the downs!) and WAWAW.  But we have decided to pass on the Villa match as we would have been taking a full house, so the best part of £150 in tickets, add in booking fee and we usually go North stand. First time we have ever dipped out on price, and in reality it's only £6 per head more for the 2 adults and 2 concessions. So only £18 more than it would be for Derby tomorrow, to which 3 of us are going. But adding in food, some booze etc etc it just feels to much. We could cheapen it up by ditching the expenses outside of the match, but this is part of the day to us, and I don't want to. 

I'm happy to bring us all to Swansea on Saturday, when we could watch it for free, but does my Villa refusal put me in the fair weather fan club?

2 minutes ago, Theboatman72 said:

We are a payg ticket family this year, we have 3 kid's from 9 up to 19. Me and the other half work irregular shifts over weekends, and with the family stuff we can't guarantee how often we will get. We had season tickets for all up to 3 year's ago, but changes of jobs meant the 2 year's before this we just bought membership. Last year things were extra hectic, so even the cost of the membership didn't really feel like it payed for itself. Also with the eldest kids getting more independent, it can be anywhere between 1 and the 3 of them that we bring.

This year we have managed about half of the home games and I haven't really worried about paying the into the early £30's, as regardless of the match we enjoy the day (the ups and the downs!) and WAWAW.  But we have decided to pass on the Villa match as we would have been taking a full house, so the best part of £150 in tickets, add in booking fee and we usually go North stand. First time we have ever dipped out on price, and in reality it's only £6 per head more for the 2 adults and 2 concessions. So only £18 more than it would be for Derby tomorrow, to which 3 of us are going. But adding in food, some booze etc etc it just feels to much. We could cheapen it up by ditching the expenses outside of the match, but this is part of the day to us, and I don't want to. 

I'm happy to bring us all to Swansea on Saturday, when we could watch it for free, but does my Villa refusal put me in the fair weather fan club?

i'd have you down as an ardent fan, however...

some will be heating the 'blinding' iron as i post, BEWARE OF THE TRUE FAN.

9 minutes ago, Theboatman72 said:

The mark of a fan  is tipping up when you can mate, and when you can afford it....The pricing in the POTG is ludicrous, but some will still hit you over the head with the "Trufan" stick....

The club will preach loyalty and patience every f.ookin' year as things go t *ts..and some fans will preach the "I'm going out of sheer loyalty ..I don't really want to"....fookwhittery"

I go cos I enjoy the sheer bloody dogs breakfast...When I stop enjoying...I'll stop goin'...no apologies no excuses...When I'm priced out...I'll do what you are doing.

Its harder at the minute cos you can't see where the points are gonna come from....and to be fair, the POTG prices they charge....with half the f.ookin' first team missing, is daft.

but, they rely on us being daft...and we are f.ookin' daft...Wednesday fans always have been....

You have obviously put the time in...don't f.ookin' apologise for stuff you have no control over, and never look at yourself as a "fair weather fan"...

There are Owls fans who won't be happy until they are the only f.ooker in the ground shoutin' "Look at me!!!"

1 hour ago, Theboatman72 said:

I’d be interested to hear your overall outlay on tickets at the end of the season and then compare it to what season tickets at the early bird stage would have cost you 

Pay on the day prices are just plain bonkers, the early bird prices while not cheap do work out a lot better value if you manage to get to 3 quarters of the matches or so 

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

i'd have you down as an ardent fan, however...

some will be heating the 'blinding' iron as i post, BEWARE OF THE TRUE FAN.

This 'truefan' thing is really getting tiresome.

Are some people only happy when they belong to one specific group.

We had f****n 'Clappers' & 'Bedwetters' and now it's 'POTG' ers & bloody 'truefans'.

Is it a South Yorkshire thing that people are only happy when there is a bit of conflict or a protest to cling onto especially if it involves anything to do with cost & affordability with 'social justice' arguments thrown into the fray for good measure.

Its almost been completely turned on its head now, with people who are able & willing  (stress the able), to commit to a season ticket are now vilified as some sort of smug, self satisfied elite, when in reality they may have to work their boll**ks off and prioritise their outgoings for the privilege of getting said season ticket.

This debate has dragged on for ever & no doubt will continue to do so, but the old argument of 'How cheap is cheap enough' is subjective in both affordability terms and commercial & marketing viability terms.

It may be a socially unacceptable fact, but if the financial incentive to commit to a season ticket is taken away & the gap between POTG tickets & season tickets becomes negligible, season ticket sales will fall, people will pick & choose and rather than crowds rising, the opposite will eventually happen.

There is no one answer that ticks all the boxes, every 'action' has a 'reaction' and the balance between how you 'pay' and how 'often you go', will always be a contentious issue.

Dividing into two groups with the associated name calling and 'moral grandstanding' achieves nothing.

4 hours ago, torres said:

I’d be interested to hear your overall outlay on tickets at the end of the season and then compare it to what season tickets at the early bird stage would have cost you 

In fairness this season is the only proper contrast, and that's slightly skewed by the kids ageing so the decisions we made a couple of years ago are probably not what we would pick next season. For the last two seasons we have been hit by the older ranks of both sides of the family being blighted by I'll health, although by this was resolved just before this season kicked off....

:carlosswfc:

This season we have done 8 out of the 15(?) home matches by Derby on Tues, and there have usually been 4 of us there so a combo of either 2 adults, or 2 concessions and always an under 11. So call an adult an approx average £30/ concession £20 and under 11 a tenner. So £80-90 a visit, so say 8x85 is £680ish so far, another 4 out of those left hopefully, so another £340, so overall just over a grand. I'm missing off the fa cups and the odd away match etc, so there are more concessions there. In value terms nowt beats a season ticket, but for us we are doing less matches so the sundry costs like food, booze and travel are also less. So I think our situation isn't what it would be for others. Next year our eldest kid knows she'll be funding her own tickets/ season ticket as she works full time, as we don't charge her board. So we may well go back to 4 season ticket's as we have enough family and friends to fill the seat's and the eldest might fund one!!

:carlos:

Edited by Theboatman72
poo spelling

21 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

This 'truefan' thing is really getting tiresome.

Are some people only happy when they belong to one specific group.

We had f****n 'Clappers' & 'Bedwetters' and now it's 'POTG' ers & bloody 'truefans'.

Is it a South Yorkshire thing that people are only happy when there is a bit of conflict or a protest to cling onto especially if it involves anything to do with cost & affordability with 'social justice' arguments thrown into the fray for good measure.

Its almost been completely turned on its head now, with people who are able & willing  (stress the able), to commit to a season ticket are now vilified as some sort of smug, self satisfied elite, when in reality they may have to work their boll**ks off and prioritise their outgoings for the privilege of getting said season ticket.

This debate has dragged on for ever & no doubt will continue to do so, but the old argument of 'How cheap is cheap enough' is subjective in both affordability terms and commercial & marketing viability terms.

It may be a socially unacceptable fact, but if the financial incentive to commit to a season ticket is taken away & the gap between POTG tickets & season tickets becomes negligible, season ticket sales will fall, people will pick & choose and rather than crowds rising, the opposite will eventually happen.

There is no one answer that ticks all the boxes, every 'action' has a 'reaction' and the balance between how you 'pay' and how 'often you go', will always be a contentious issue.

Dividing into two groups with the associated name calling and 'moral grandstanding' achieves nothing.

i think you're taking this far too serious, not everything in life is black and white. 

that said i for one have seen an element of superiority from time to time in postings on here, that were labelled 'true fan' for the reason of highlighting the perceived position of the poster at that time. 

i believe posters are not knocking season ticket holders, they are having a chip at those who appear (self) raised above martyrdom. 

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i think you're taking this far too serious, not everything in life is black and white. 

that said i for one have seen an element of superiority from time to time in postings on here, that were labelled 'true fan' for the reason of highlighting the perceived position of the poster at that time. 

i believe posters are not knocking season ticket holders, they are having a chip at those who appear (self) raised above martyrdom. 

100%

End of the day we're all Wednesday fans 

Owlstalk Shop

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

you'll always find someone to disagree with you when speaking, or posting over passionate affairs.

i dropped upon a ding' at work last night who flew into 'YOUR LOT WERE F*****' LUCKY AT THE W/E', to which i replied 'yes, we were lucky not to have more that 14 out injured, and we were lucky to be playing your lot'.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

Isn’t that exactly what I was saying??

I was quite clearly (or maybe not clear enough) arguing against the various cliques that people seem to want to pigeon hole people into.

Think my last paragraph makes that abundantly clear. 

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Isn’t that exactly what I was saying??

I was quite clearly (or maybe not clear enough) arguing against the various cliques that people seem to want to pigeon hole people into.

Think my last paragraph makes that abundantly clear. 

Yeah I was agreeing with you

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

Bill Shankly maybe wouldn’t agree with you about taking it too seriously.

”People say football is not life or death, it’s much more serious than that”. 

:rolleyes:

Ps have quoted that from memory so probably not word for word.