Glenn Loovens

I still think Glenn has an on-field role this season.

If he was competing with Lees and Hutch for a place then probably his starting days might be over. But he is competing with the unproven and unconvincing JVA and Vernaco, and guys playing out of position like Pudil.

I still think Loovens and Lees give more stability than any other pairing. 

He has been too slow all season. Not just when running, which has always been the case, but now he cannot react quickly enough in the tackle. He is five minutes late more often than not.

To be brutally honest I would rather play Morgan Fox with Thorniley and Venancio putting Reach to left wing back in Pudil's absence. Fox has actually looked slightly better on his occasional spells at centre back than he does at left back. I know that is not a massive vote of confidence in Fox but I have grave misgivings over Loovens now.

30 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If he was competing with Lees and Hutch for a place then probably his starting days might be over. But he is competing with the unproven and unconvincing JVA and Vernaco, and guys playing out of position like Pudil.

We need to get to safety asap..then let the new/young lads get maximum game time..never a better time to do it imo.

Ffs

33 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The worrying thing is that he actually HASN'T looked out out place with the unproven and unconvincing, its nowt to be ashamed of when you have to step down, the trick is doing it at the right time

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Might just be off form. Hope so as suspect we'll need him before the season's out. Summer and beyond is a different thing.

41 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Well past it, and should not be extended.

Get Venancio under contract and use Lees, Van Aken, and Venancio as the core to build from for the future.

Those three at the back with Reach and Hunt (for the moment) as wing backs.

Do JVA and Fred look like the sound foundations of a good Championship team? 

They are are both promising, but far from rock-like so far.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Do JVA and Fred look like the sound foundations of a good Championship team? 

They are are both promising, but far from rock-like so far.

Yes.  Venancio, Lees, and Van Aken do look like the foundations of a good Championship side - but that's completely different to the question of "will this partnership be the best defensive pairing / trio in the Championship overnight" like so many seem to think our expect we're going to be able conjure.

Let them partner up and develop. We're not going anywhere any time soon by the time next season rolls around I think we're in good shape with them; even doubly so if we can replace Hunt/Palmer as the options at right back.

13 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Yes.  Venancio, Lees, and Van Aken do look like the foundations of a good Championship side - but that's completely different to the question of "will this partnership be the best defensive pairing / trio in the Championship overnight" like so many seem to think our expect we're going to be able conjure.

Let them partner up and develop. We're not going anywhere any time soon by the time next season rolls around I think we're in good shape with them; even doubly so if we can replace Hunt/Palmer as the options at right back.

Venancio is decent but I wouldn't have him as a regular, he has only really replaced Sasso. Van Aken should come good as he gains experience at this level, Lees can be relied upon when fully fit.

Loovens should really have been replaced a while ago, what we need this summer is a commanding, tall, no nonsense centre-back.

9 hours ago, ramone said:

In the same way i'd have offered a Semedo a new deal in the summer, i'd keep Loovens on. A class act on and off the pitch and exactly the sort of person you keep around the football club for as long as possible. 

He hasn't been a class act for a long time. 

11 hours ago, samowl said:

He hasn't been a class act for a long time. 

He's looked shaky since Derby away this season. A class act doesn't just mean his current form. It covers the whole package in terms of the man and the player. The guy is a Rolls Royce and deserves nothing but respect from our fanbase.