Glenn Loovens

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 11.35.45.jpg

Surely out of the starting lineup for some time to come barring injuries to the few defenders we have left alive and standing?

Would we be best utilisiing him in a coaching/mentoring capacity and maybe turning out for under 23's?

What's he looking for? His form?

Edited by owlZfan84
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ramone said:

In the same way i'd have offered a Semedo a new deal in the summer, i'd keep Loovens on. A class act on and off the pitch and exactly the sort of person you keep around the football club for as long as possible. 

In the same way, the speed of the game has gone past both.

Never got all the 'Great Servant to the Club' type stuff. Makes it sound like they are on minimum wage and playing for the love of the club.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Would we be best utilising him in a coaching/mentoring capacity and maybe turning out for under 23's?

I thought this sort of thing was what a club captain was supposed to do anyway?

No need to be nasty about it, its professional football and weather you are David Hirst, Ron Springett or Franny Jeffers the time comes for a player to move on.

Never one for giving a player a contract because they are 'good in the dressing room'. If you are not good enough to be in the first team squad anymore should not be giving another contract otherwise its not far off charity.

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 11.35.45.jpg

Surely out of the starting lineup for some time to come barring injuries to the few defenders we have left alive and standing?

Would we be best utilisiing him in a coaching/mentoring capacity and maybe turning out for under 23's?

29 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

What's he looking for? His form?

"Lads. What's that big net thing with the white post's. Does anybody remember"

Striker replies (insert your own name)

"No captain Loovens I've never noticed it before. What is it for ?"

FFS.

52 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Never got all the 'Great Servant to the Club' type stuff. Makes it sound like they are on minimum wage and playing for the love of the club.

I thought this sort of thing was what a club captain was supposed to do anyway?

No need to be nasty about it, its professional football and weather you are David Hirst, Ron Springett or Franny Jeffers the time comes for a player to move on.

Never one for giving a player a contract because they are 'good in the dressing room'. If you are not good enough to be in the first team squad anymore should not be giving another contract otherwise its not far off charity.

Have to completely disagree. Having a good dressing room and good captain is paramount to a clubs success. 

1 hour ago, ramone said:

In the same way i'd have offered a Semedo a new deal in the summer, i'd keep Loovens on. A class act on and off the pitch and exactly the sort of person you keep around the football club for as long as possible. 

In a metoring role, sure. But everyone always says that, and yet I can't really think of many examples where it's EVER happened quite like that, at any club. Much less here.

Been a great player and a key part of our defensive strength over last 4 seasons. When we couldn’t score for toffee under Gray, we were ok as big Glenn helped keep it tight at the back.

Under cc was outstanding for both full seasons. 

This season a different player. Has gone from playing in slippers to playing in 8 inch stilletos, his timing is off and he is making some really odd decisions. Can only think he has a long term injury issue which has been there all season.

Don't think he ever got over that injury that plagued him the season before last. 

There has been the odd glimpse.  But not the same as when he came. 

That said......given the current injury crisis, and it is nothing short of a crisis, then he has to be considered for selection when available. 

I've been critical over the previous 18 months...but we find ourselves in a situation where it's all hands to the pumps.  

It's possible he was carrying an injury in the last game and they brought him off because he couldn't carry on. It may have been because he's no longer good enough. We have very few options on Saturday due to Pudil being suspended. I would move fox into a CB position if need be, he's looked ok in  there. I'm happy to see Thornily given a game but think 2 inexperienced CBs is one too many in a must win (mustn't lose ) game.

I just hope Lees, Van Aken can play soon. 

I don't rate his leadership qualities at all. I watched him stare at the turf after we conceded the second on Saturday. As captain he should have either been going mad at the team for being a shambles, or encouraging the lads to up their game. Instead he hung his head and did nothing. I'm glad he got the hook.