Dave Sunley

28 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

66 today!  26 goals in 145 games  for #swfc 1970-6 seen with Mick Prendergast RIP & Brian Joicey Back in the day when we had trees on the Kop! #ProperKit #WAWAW

B9JfdxwIYAAypOF.thumb.jpg.15460f95be69501deac06b3f1eb1ca0b.jpg

Thanks Dunsby I will show this to the buffoon who wouldn't believe me when I told him we used to climb the tree on the Kop to watch games as kids ..Sergeant Taylor always had the last laugh (his memory was amazing for a copper ...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Thanks Dunsby I will show this to the buffoon who wouldn't believe me when I told him we used to climb the tree on the Kop to watch games as kids ..Sergeant Taylor always had the last laugh (his memory was amazing for a copper ...

Haha !

Saw David Sunley playing years later at Wimbledon for Stockport County in the old Fourth Division. He was playing in midfield.

Can't remember if he played well or not. But do recall how sad it felt to see a player who could have had a decent career playing at that level. He should have left back in 1973, when the world seemed to be at his feet; enough teams were rumoured to be interested. But he stayed too long and got dragged down to the level of the utter dross we subsequently had. 

Main memory is him scoring a Header v Man U to put us 4:3 up in "the game that had everything". Good looking lad in the George Best/ Peter Marinello but maybe not quite as skilful as GB! Agree that the club probably dragged some players down with it in those days - still - I'm glad I lived through that era - a lot less plastic than now!

• Like 1

First saw Sunley play in our reserve team and tought, "We could have a good in 'tbooks here.. Was he one of those that came all the way through our youth system ? Think Long Colin Prophet might have too. could be I'm mistaken. Often am due to old age, alzhiemers and too much Guinness and green baccy lol 

FFS

I think Hull offered us 100k for him in 1972 and we turned it down!!!

The goal he scored at palace in the replayed cup game was an absolute stunner,he lashed it in from around 30 yards.

He was released in around 77 and joined Alan thompson at stockport county,never fulfilled his promise

Dave Sunley came to live with me along with his colleague Dave Congleton they came as young schoolboys and became apprentices for Wednesday Dave Sunley live with me right up to him being a first team player he was a pleasure to have and became part of my family

• Thanks 2

On 15/08/2018 at 18:51, hullite said:

when he came to hull city as a forward he must have played holding a banjo

Scored twice against Hull in 72/3.one in each game,that was his best season for us,Dooley got the best out of DS,shrewd guy,great judge of footballers was Derek he utilised what he had to great effect

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:03, legendaryswan said:

Scored twice against Hull in 72/3.one in each game,that was his best season for us,Dooley got the best out of DS,shrewd guy,great judge of footballers was Derek he utilised what he had to great effect

i'd dispute he utilised them to great effect …...he inherited  decent players in grummitt,craig , Rodrigues ,sissons,sinclair, prendo and his signings of clements, joicey,henderson ,shaw ,knighton etc etc wernt bad but he could never mould them into a good side …. I always thought he could .like you say spot a player but he couldn't build a team . 

On 24/08/2018 at 09:22, torryowl said:

i'd dispute he utilised them to great effect …...he inherited  decent players in grummitt,craig , Rodrigues ,sissons,sinclair, prendo and his signings of clements, joicey,henderson ,shaw ,knighton etc etc wernt bad but he could never mould them into a good side …. I always thought he could .like you say spot a player but he couldn't build a team . 

Soz Torry,I meant he utilised DS to great effect,I think that was Sunleys best season for us.

Like a lot of ex owl managers DD didnt get the players he would have liked,he had to make the best of what little they gave him,he did try to coax Hickton back but by then we couldnt afford him.

On 25/08/2018 at 19:41, legendaryswan said:

Soz Torry,I meant he utilised DS to great effect,I think that was Sunleys best season for us.

Like a lot of ex owl managers DD didnt get the players he would have liked,he had to make the best of what little they gave him,he did try to coax Hickton back but by then we couldnt afford him.

Dooley pleaded with Alan Brown not to sell Hickton back in 1966 but it fell on deaf ears.

The irony was that six months after he'd sold him Brown decided he needed a Hickton-type centre forward and bought John Ritchie. And as you say one of the first things Dooley did as manager was to try to bring Hickton back but by then he was way beyond our price.

11 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Dooley pleaded with Alan Brown not to sell Hickton back in 1966 but it fell on deaf ears.

The irony was that six months after he'd sold him Brown decided he needed a Hickton-type centre forward and bought John Ritchie. And as you say one of the first things Dooley did as manager was to try to bring Hickton back but by then he was way beyond our price.

Brown clearly didnt listen to Dooley,he never rated Hickton at all,wed agreed a fee the season before Ritchie came for boltons Wynne Davies,and offered him terms,but davies turned them down as hed already been tapped up by newcastle and signed for them later that season.

Our board were clueless in the market during the 60s and 70s,nowt much has changed in my 50 odd years of going,but we passed over some great talent in the 60s and could have had a far stronger side had we been just a little bolder

On 29/06/2018 at 18:39, Roger Harvey said:

Dave Sunley came to live with me along with his colleague Dave Congleton they came as young schoolboys and became apprentices for Wednesday Dave Sunley live with me right up to him being a first team player he was a pleasure to have and became part of my family

Gary road ?

On 06/02/2018 at 10:11, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I did that...

The branch snapped and i went flat on my back, ouch.

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2018 at 18:39, Roger Harvey said:

Did he bring you lots of flowers :biggrin: