66 today!  26 goals in 145 games  for #swfc 1970-6 seen with Mick Prendergast RIP & Brian Joicey Back in the day when we had trees on the Kop! #ProperKit #WAWAW

B9JfdxwIYAAypOF.thumb.jpg.15460f95be69501deac06b3f1eb1ca0b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

66 today!  26 goals in 145 games  for #swfc 1970-6 seen with Mick Prendergast RIP & Brian Joicey Back in the day when we had trees on the Kop! #ProperKit #WAWAW

B9JfdxwIYAAypOF.thumb.jpg.15460f95be69501deac06b3f1eb1ca0b.jpg

Thanks Dunsby I will show this to the buffoon who wouldn't believe me when I told him we used to climb the tree on the Kop to watch games as kids ..Sergeant Taylor always had the last laugh (his memory was amazing for a copper ...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Thanks Dunsby I will show this to the buffoon who wouldn't believe me when I told him we used to climb the tree on the Kop to watch games as kids ..Sergeant Taylor always had the last laugh (his memory was amazing for a copper ...

Haha !

• Agree 1

So it's 45 years ago today that Dave Sunley knocked in the late leveler  at Palace  on his 21st birthday. A leveler that lead to one of our great Cup nights at Villa Park as we disposed of first division Crystal Palace. Happy Birthday to Dave.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 2

Saw David Sunley playing years later at Wimbledon for Stockport County in the old Fourth Division. He was playing in midfield.

Can't remember if he played well or not. But do recall how sad it felt to see a player who could have had a decent career playing at that level. He should have left back in 1973, when the world seemed to be at his feet; enough teams were rumoured to be interested. But he stayed too long and got dragged down to the level of the utter dross we subsequently had. 

whenever sunley is mentioned I always think of the 1st game I saw him play at hull on boxing day 1970 .....think jimmy mullen made his debut that day .always remember taunting the hull fans which came back to bite me on the arse . .

Main memory is him scoring a Header v Man U to put us 4:3 up in "the game that had everything". Good looking lad in the George Best/ Peter Marinello but maybe not quite as skilful as GB! Agree that the club probably dragged some players down with it in those days - still - I'm glad I lived through that era - a lot less plastic than now!

• Like 1

First saw Sunley play in our reserve team and tought, "We could have a good in 'tbooks here.. Was he one of those that came all the way through our youth system ? Think Long Colin Prophet might have too. could be I'm mistaken. Often am due to old age, alzhiemers and too much Guinness and green baccy lol 

FFS

I think Hull offered us 100k for him in 1972 and we turned it down!!!

The goal he scored at palace in the replayed cup game was an absolute stunner,he lashed it in from around 30 yards.

He was released in around 77 and joined Alan thompson at stockport county,never fulfilled his promise

Dave Sunley came to live with me along with his colleague Dave Congleton they came as young schoolboys and became apprentices for Wednesday Dave Sunley live with me right up to him being a first team player he was a pleasure to have and became part of my family

• Thanks 1

Alan Thompson Colin prophet and Eric Potts all lived with my parents in Dixon Road Hillsborough all three made the first team