What made you support Sheffield Wednesday?

Good genetics for me, born,  bred and buttered in Sheffield! Everybody in my family is a Wednesdayite, even the ones who aren't really into football. I now live in Istanbul and I'm married with a Turkish woman (she supports fenerbahçe, to annoy her galatasaray supporting brother, and her Trabzonspor supporting dad). We have a son, who is 3 and a half years old, and he loves playing footie. He can support whoever he likes in Turkey, but he already identifies with Wednesday as it's "dad's team"! Even today, i was teaching him the days of the week in english and turkish, and as soon as we got to "Wednesday" he said "it's Sheffield". So i reckon he's on the right path! 

lol

Edited by alcock dived

Ive told this story on here before...but I'm gonna bore the f.ook out of you all again....

Me Dad was irish...wasn't bothered about  football...and used to actually snarl if you put cricket on.

On the other hand my mother came from a large family of Owls fans who lived behind the Blades ground on John St, she had 4 brothers 3 of them mad Owls fans...one sadly, me Uncle Vin, gravitated to the dark side.

One Saturday when I was about 5 me uncle Vin came to collect me to take me out....unbeknownst to me Mam, he took me to the Lane, We had moved to City Road by then, so she couldn't look outta the window and shout "Bring that child back here this minute ... Vin yer b*sta*d!!"

So to my eternal chagrin, my first ever football game was at the Lane.....

This news found its way to the other 3 brothers...Who more or less immediately came round to kill me mother, and check me for herpes and syphillis an' stuff..Uncle Vin was persona non wotsit for about 3 months...but the upside was ..The antidote....

I was taken to Hillsborough every other Saturday, and even on the train to London a couple of times, I presume to fight the infection...I had a big daft blue and white rattle, to ward off evil...and a scarf and bobble hat.

I can't remember the game at the Lane...I hope to f.ook they lost, but I remember Hillsborough cos of the Kop...I was sat on the South, but according to me Uncle Walt..I sat mesmerised looking at the heaving mass on the Kop.

I brought me kid up the same way...He brings me grandkids up the same way....My lad  know that...."Mother Turton could run as fast backards...as he could forrards"..That was drilled into me as a kid...He played in the 40's...but my Grandkids know that "Mother Turton could run as fast backards as he could forrards"

You have to keep the thing going....

My dad was born and brought up in Hillsborough. Despite moving away to Leeds then Wakefield for work I had no choice though (shock horror) he did occasionally take me to Elland Road too as it was closer.

I’m now in a position to influence the next generation and will be taking my nephew to his first game v Swansea / Notts County. Hopefully he’s not bemoaning me in a similar thread in years to come!

Family tradition as well as being from Sheffield originally.  Both sides of the family are Wednesday. 

Went to my first match with my dad and granddad back in 1980 (promotion season). My granddad actually attended the 1935 Cup Final.

Wish I knew who my great grandfather supported as our family could go all the way back to when the club first began or thereabouts.

My dad took me when I was six and been hooked ever since, even though we lived in Handsworth and going to the Lane would have been easier.  Glad he didn't though!  Trailed there on two buses, it was like a magical day out for me.

Born and grew up in central London, but Dad was from Sheffield and a mad Owl. Every Monday morning the Green 'Un would be delivered by post and we'd both read the match report before he went to work. (There was never a mention of Wednesday in the London or national press. The latter always had match reports for their own region).

All my mates supported Arsenal or Spurs but I couldn't. I was proud of my Sheffield heritage, our unique blue and white stripes and black shorts was the best in the football league and Dad made sure we we went to see as many Wednesday games in London as work would allow. I never got to see us play at Hillsborough till I came to Sheffield as a student although we'd come up to Sheffield for a week at the beginning of the summer holidays to stay at my Nan's when Dad would always take me to Hillsborough just to walk round the outside of the stadium! Never left the city and my kids have all been season ticket holders.

• Like 1

Simple.

I was dragged a long for a few seasons by my dad(ridiculously young) bribed with midget gems which I think kept me entertained at HT. I used to sit on those beams at the back of the Kop when it was still standing. I slowly started to enjoy it and it then become the ultimate bribery tool for good behaviour. I could handle being grounded but as soon as I was told "no football" that was it....booked my ideas up!

46 minutes ago, Anton DecChair said:

Born and grew up in central London, but Dad was from Sheffield and a mad Owl. Every Monday morning the Green 'Un would be delivered by post and we'd both read the match report before he went to work. (There was never a mention of Wednesday in the London or national press. The latter always had match reports for their own region).

All my mates supported Arsenal or Spurs but I couldn't. I was proud of my Sheffield heritage, our unique blue and white stripes and black shorts was the best in the football league and Dad made sure we we went to see as many Wednesday games in London as work would allow. I never got to see us play at Hillsborough till I came to Sheffield as a student although we'd come up to Sheffield for a week at the beginning of the summer holidays to stay at my Nan's when Dad would always take me to Hillsborough just to walk round the outside of the stadium! Never left the city and my kids have all been season ticket holders.

Green 'un, them wert days!