What made you support Sheffield Wednesday?

Watching a report about the BDM as a youngster. Third division game and a 50K crowd. Assumed once we got to Division 1 the crowds would be 4 times the side and we would be the biggest sports team in the world. (The logic of a 9 year old)

Family were mostly Arsenal or Spurs and school much the same with the other London clubs and usual suspects. 1 Leeds fan though.

1st game was Arsenal away on the North Bank a 1-0 loss. 1st home game was on the newly roofed kop and loved it so much was back a few days later to see us beat Chelski. Remember Speedie getting lots of abuse. 

Used to go and watch Chester around late 70s with my dad, then a school football match was called off one Saturday morning and a mate whose family were originally from Sheffield and Wednesday fans asked if I wanted to go with him and his dad to watch Wednesday v Blackpool . I'd never been in a stadium as big as Hillsborough before and with the owls winning 4-1 and on the way to promotion I was hooked.

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How did your love affair with the club first start and what made you choose Wednesday over (for example) Sheff United or the local club where you live?

I was cursed by a Romany gypsy. 

She foretold of many evils. 

Firstly she spoke of a man born of Rome who would slay a man dressed all in black, never to return to the land of Sheffield. This would be the beginning of the end.

To spite me even more she prophecied a fall from grace to begin the new millennium.

A caretaker and a drunk Welshman would be brought in to lift the curse to no avail. 

She would send evil evil demons to destroy my will further. Vile beasts from every end of the world, belched from the cheeky monkey of the underworld. A trio of Scotsmen, a Norwegian Viking, and the most evil creature of all... Ashley Westwood would send us down. 

Searching with every waking minute for a way to remove such a dispicable curse. I stumbled across ancient parchment.

There would be many years pass. The txts would come to fruition! A silver haired king from north of the border would restore some pride and my faith was becoming restored that one day I'd be free from the shackles. ''Twas prophecised the king would relinquish his throne. We would get closer to the promise land. 

However a dark cloud would arise over the hills(borough). An evil force that would dare to ruin everything, money vanished, followers were threatened and afraid of this force. The curse would send us back to the depths.  

Years of darkness would follow. Until according to the txts, a ginger wizard with the aid of a painted man from Jamaica would lift the curse. Alas the wizard was roasted alive by a dragon. However with all his strength and before his last breath he drew blood from a pig. He used his own magic to counter that of the gypsy.

After the wizards brace last act it was foretold Sheffield Wednesday would be in a deep sleep. Only to be kept on life support from a merman who came from the sea. With the aid of an underwater phone and his fishy friends  he would contact a man from a distant last. 

This man had riches beyond belief. An Asian prince was believed to help a Mediterranean fellow restore pride, faith, belief and break the curse if the gypsy. It was told a child had a dream, that this man would build a football team. That Sheffield wednesday were on their way back.   

Alas the man from del monte was a red herring of our story. A fake, an imposter. Some proclaimed him to be pennywise in disguise. An evil clown who would surface every few decades to bite the limbs off players. The prince realised his mistake a took the head of pennywise. 

This is where we are up to in present day. 

The prophecy links us to a brilliantly moustached man. Common people will rally behind him to lift the curse. A war is predicted as Tom Selleck singled handedly has been assigned to take down over paid, heavily armed mercenaries. The outcome of the war told Selkeck will just survive ridding Sheffield Wednesday of the soldiers.

However this is where the story ends. In my quest to end the curse of supporting Wednesday all I could find were smudged ink pages. It seems the previous barer of the scrolls cried over the txt! Were they tears of joy? Tears of relief? Or my biggest fear, tears of sadness...?

I don't know what those pages contained and if the curse will ever be lifted.

To answer the op's question. That's how I came to support Wednesday. Well either that or because my dad supports us.

Edited by jonesy87shef
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You have taste

Haha cheers.:biggrin:

Only vague memories of Curran, but enough to know he was awesome.

Bannister was the man when I was old enough/went regular enough to know what was going on.

Completely, totally and utterly mesmerised by his ability when I was a kid, and my favourite ever Wednesday player as a result.

35 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

A friends elder Brother gave us a choice, either Fishing or Football at Hillsborough,

1961 Owls v Spurs, we chose the Football, mind you there have been many times I wished we had chosen Fishing.

Carried on, intermittently through the 60,s, but with playing football on Saturdays (Poorly I hasten to add) I missed most of that decade.

Got My 1st S/T in 1971, and have had the very same seat ever since.

47 years in the same seat , wow that is loyalty my friend 

6 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I was cursed by a Romany gypsy. 

She foretold of many evils. 

Firstly she spoke of a man born of Rome who would slay a man dressed all in black, never to return to the land of Sheffield. This would be the beginning of the end.

To spite me even more she prophecied a fall from grace to begin the new millennium.

A caretaker and a drunk Welshman would be brought in to lift the curse to no avail. 

She would send evil evil demons to destroy my will further. Vile beasts from every end of the world, belched from the cheeky monkey of the underworld. A trio of Scotsmen, a Norwegian Viking, and the most evil creature of all... Ashley Westwood would send us down. 

Searching with every waking minute for a way to remove such a dispicable curse. I stumbled across ancient parchment.

There would be many years pass. The txts would come to fruition! A silver haired king from north of the border would restore some pride and my faith was becoming restored that one day I'd be free from the shackles. ''Twas prophecised the king would relinquish his throne. We would get closer to the promise land. 

However a dark cloud would arise over the hills(borough). An evil force that would dare to ruin everything, money vanished, followers were threatened and afraid of this force. The curse would send us back to the depths.  

Years of darkness would follow. Until according to the txts, a ginger wizard with the aid of a painted man from Jamaica would lift the curse. Alas the wizard was roasted alive by a dragon. However with all his strength and before his last breath he drew blood from a pig. He used his own magic to counter that of the gypsy.

After the wizards brace last act it was foretold Sheffield Wednesday would be in a deep sleep. Only to be kept on life support from a merman who came from the sea. With the aid of an underwater phone and his fishy friends  he would contact a man from a distant last. 

This man had riches beyond belief. An Asian prince was believed to help a Mediterranean fellow restore pride, faith, belief and break the curse if the gypsy. It was told a child had a dream, that this man would build a football team. That Sheffield wednesday were on their way back.   

Alas the man from del monte was a red herring of our story. A fake, an imposter. Some proclaimed him to be pennywise in disguise. An evil clown who would surface every few decades to bite the limbs off players. The prince realised his mistake a took the head of pennywise. 

This is where we are up to in present day. 

The prophecy links us to a brilliantly moustached man. Common people will rally behind him to lift the curse. A war is predicted as Tom Selleck singled handedly has been assigned to take down over paid, heavily armed mercenaries. The outcome of the war told Selkeck will just survive ridding Sheffield Wednesday of the soldiers.

However this is where the story ends. In my quest to end the curse of supporting Wednesday all I could find were smudged ink pages. It seems the previous barer of the scrolls cried over the txt! Were they tears of joy? Tears of relief? Or my biggest fear, tears of sadness...?

I don't know what those pages contained and if the curse will ever be lifted.

To answer the op's question. That's how I came to support Wednesday. Well either that or because my dad supports us.

Was this off the back of Co- Co pops or Sugar Frosties can't remember? lol

(excellent post by the way )

• Haha 1

Simple: Born Stannington, Sheffield 6, Dad a Wednesdayite. Even when we moved to Norton in 1953 everyone that we knew were Owls fans. I only became aware of Sheffield United when people on the 34 or 35 bus that we used to take to town were holding their noses when the bus was on Bramall Lane.

• Haha 1

My dad and grandad both took me to matches from the late sixties , stood on the Kop with dad and went in the stand with me grandad , there's never been another team for me , born and bred in Sheffield.

Both my kids are Wednesdayites and I'm sure my grandkids will be to.

Loads of ups and downs over the years, I wouldn't want to support anyone else , once a Wednesdayite always one 

Guest Bulgaria

Up until the age of about 7 I loved Kevin Keegan so I supported Liverpool. Then my old man who supported the owls took me to my first ever live game at home to Everton in a cup game. Owls lost 3-1. I've been hooked ever since.

We lived on woodseats so not really sure why he supported the owls and not the blades.

Oh, I know why.... Cause he don't dress like a tramp.

Edited by Bulgaria

I’m originally from Boston (Lincolnshire) and in the Royal Navy, I met my missus who is from the Sheffield area 11 years ago and settled up here and have a born and bred Wednesday fan in my group of friends. I got 2 tickets via Tickets For Troops a few years ago (against Bristol City - we lost 3 - 1) in the Kop. Even though the result went the wrong way I was hooked there and then and haven’t looked back since.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How did your love affair with the club first start and what made you choose Wednesday over (for example) Sheff United or the local club where you live?

I was born into a family of Wednesdayites who all lived around Leppings lane and Vere rd. I was taken to my fist game by my uncle aged 4 ,and i was hooked. 

Vere Road born and bred, Godfather was head groundsman and other family worked at the club. First game at 4.

Spent much of my youth playing football in the ground and swimming down the don... still have some graffiti under the lepp bridge showing.

Swimming down don explains why I'm like I am now when we lose lol

Travs, Gate, Park hotel regular from 16, lol

No idea really,

My parents aren't big football fans and didn't actively follow an English team.

They can't really remember why I choose them either- but possibly choose them after watching League Cup final at my cousins house.

But I made the choice while everyone round me choose Man United.

Its been emotional.

• Like 1