What made you support Sheffield Wednesday?

My dad starting taking me occasionally when I was about 6 years old. Only took me to the low key games such as Southampton, Coventry, Wimbledon....

Remember him going without me to the 1-0 Chapman win against Man U and being mortified. 

Like many I was entranced by the greenness of the pitch, the height of the floodlights, the headband of Cranson...

I’m from Gillingham and lived there all my life but ever since I was young I didn’t feel like I belonged there. Then I watched the cup final against Man Utd and all the sea of blue and white and felt like something clicked. I went to my local library and looked up everything I could on Sheffield and it’s people when I suddenly had the revelation I had been born in the wrong part of the world. At the time it was hard to explain to people without them laughing at me but luckily in the modern age of understanding it’s becoming more and more accepted that a person can be born one place and feel like they are from another. Still though, only my Mum and Wife know That I’ve come out as TransSheffielder. My Dad was a Gill through and through and would never have accepted it but he died a couple of years ago so I never got to tell him. Anyway sorry got a bit carried away thanks for reading fellow Sheffielders :).

Edited by Rebowl Yell
  • Haha 2

I do not think anybody tells you to support a club you may have influence If more in your family support one side of the football team that the other.

But remember guys you do not pick Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday pick you....

WAWAW

When I was about five I developed an interest in owls. My dad, despite being an avid Arsenal fan, told me I should support Wednesday. My best mate at school gave me all the spares he had of Wednesday players from the Panini Football '87 sticker album and I became hooked.

My Dad was a Unitedite, but I had one of the blue and white striped buggies that were all the range in the early 70's and my Mum was a Wednesdayite, so I chose the only sensible option. 

I now live in Newcastle and my Missues is a Geordie, but I have somehow convinced both my kids to be Wednesday Supporters using various tactics, including getting them lovely cuddly owls from a very young age. Who ever saw a cuddly magpie????

I have a confession to make. 

In my early years I was a pig, more out of peer pressure from mates at school. However, my best mate persuaded me to go to a match at Hillsborough, 74/75 season. 

Reluctantly I went, but as soon as I climbed those Kop steps I was in awe, and reborn as an Owl. We were absolute sheite then, but the love affair never waned. Took some reyt stick at school, but the BDM sorted that. 

22 minutes ago, Rebowl Yell said:

I’m from Gillingham and lived there all my life but ever since I was young I didn’t feel like I belonged there. Then I watched the cup final against Man Utd and all the sea of blue and white and felt like something clicked. I went to my local library and looked up everything I could on Sheffield and it’s people when I suddenly had the revelation I had been born in the wrong part of the world. At the time it was hard to explain to people without them laughing at me but luckily in the modern age of understanding it’s becoming more and more accepted that a person can be born one place and feel like they are from another. Still though, only my Mum and Wife know That I’ve come out as TransSheffielder. My Dad was a Gill through and through and would never have accepted it but he died a couple of years ago so I never got to tell him. Anyway sorry got a bit carried away thanks for reading fellow Sheffielders :).

Swear on your Mother's life that's true ..

FFS...lol

• Haha 1

I'm not from Sheffield but Mum and I used to spend summers there with my aunt and uncle who lived there so can only assume that peaked my early interest in a team starting with Sheffield, wasn't into football at the time that didn't happen until I was about 12 or so, my favourite colour is blue and I was born on a Wednesday so can only assume that's the reason I ended up picking Wednesday!

Despite being born in Cornwall with a Cornish father, I was persuaded by my mother's family who hail from Sheffield to support Wednesday.

Have spent my life as the only Wednesday fan at school, work and within my circle of friends.

Now I'm older I enjoy the novelty of being different but it has had some  hard times and not just results wise.

Going to a school where there were a lot of Liverpool fans led to a period of being bullied and picked on after the Hillsborough disaster. So much so on leaving school and starting work I wouldn't admit to supporting any team for a number of years.

A friends elder Brother gave us a choice, either Fishing or Football at Hillsborough,

1961 Owls v Spurs, we chose the Football, mind you there have been many times I wished we had chosen Fishing.

Carried on, intermittently through the 60,s, but with playing football on Saturdays (Poorly I hasten to add) I missed most of that decade.

Got My 1st S/T in 1971, and have had the very same seat ever since.