What made you support Sheffield Wednesday?

Chris Waddle

Saw him play on TV when I was a kid. It was mesmerizing.

Wanted to see him play live, by the time by birthday came around (my present was to go and see him play) he’d signed for Wednesday.

Of course, once you go to watch you’re hooked.

Even if during that game Waddle was I’ll, played awful, got subbed at half time and we got beaten.

Hes got a lot to answer for...

An old mini cooper with the wood panelling, a sense of wonderment at the size of the north stand and throwing snowballs at Pat Jennings.

All memories from my first match which came flooding back when my dad said you can go on the train to watch a match on your own. Was 11 by then and the rest is all misery. 

Can't imagine letting my kid travel 20 miles by train at 11 but that was the 80s for you

100% Waddle for me too. 

Both my brothers are Spurs fans (we live darn sarf so I’m the odd one out) but I grew up in the late 80s / early 90s. Waddle was amazing for Spurs, and England in World Cup (apart from 1 kick) 

so when he came back to England, and the Prem was just starting out, I was hooked on Chris Waddle. 

Followed Owls since about 93, although I did kind of switch off during the wilderness years of early 2000s. 

But even after CW had gone, the premiership had gone, I’m still an Owl through & through. 

WAWAW

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How did your love affair with the club first start and what made you choose Wednesday over (for example) Sheff United or the local club where you live?

Absolutely no idea.

I wasn't really bothered about football until i went to a match with a mate. That was the year the premier league started.

Wednesday was always in the family though so i had a little bias before my first football experience.

I soon became hooked and if you'd spoke to me a year later i think it would have been difficult to guess my novice status...

My uncle started taking me though I always followed the results before. On the balance of the last 30 years, say 6-7 decent seasons vs the rest being absolute bobbar, sometimes wish it was the Steelers he had taken me to watch.

Talking to my boss who is a leeds fan, he says he can’t believe the number of seasons both huge clubs have spent out of the top flight. Told him to get used to it!

Edited by airborne_rat_of_s6

14 minutes ago, clampyowl said:

my dad, i had no choice, neither did my brother, my son also has no choice, or my brothers son, were all Wednesday, that's how it is, and i wouldn't change it, ups and downs but never boring uto

Exactly this for me also. My Dad always said to me and my brother 'if you live under my roof you support Wednesday' :laugh: would never change it though.

A great grandfather who lived on Richards Road, just up the road from the Olive Grove ground was my reason, I would love to have been able to ask him about club captain Jack Earp, who with his film star good looks, and the club’s success, must have been the nineteenth century equivalent to David Beckham.

Conversally my other great grandfather came to live in the centre of Heeley on Carfield Street, as the Owls were planning their move to Hillsborough, and opted for the red and white flavour. This side of the family were very reliable, honest and steady, whereas the others were the very similar to Private Walker of Dad’s Army fame, so who would you guys have picked?

lol

I live in Birmingham but nan, aunts etc lived in Sheffield. I lived with my nan from age 4 - 13 when sadly she passed away.  Moved south to live with another relative. I have followed Wednesday all my life going to the matches as small child with my uncle and although I live close to Birmingham City ground and not far from villa, Wednesday is my life and I follow them to most away games and season ticket holder.

I am now 60 and wouldn't / couldn't leave my Wednesday family.

Masochism, pure and simple.

Born and lived all my life in London. Local team is Palace, dad supports Chelsea. Zero ties to Sheffield. Got hooked because of the '93 FA Cup Final. Should have realised after Woods fumbled in that header not to bother with SWFC but I was already too emotionally attached. Who wants trophies anyway, eh?

• Haha 1

1966 cup final day I was 4 years old

Got thrown out of the house to play outside so the adults could watch the game

Got talking to some bigger boys who said it was the cup final and asked who I supported Wednesday or United

I hadn't a clue then, so asked what colour they played in. Wednesday blue, United red they said

Red is a girl's colour! I opined

And henceforth legend was born