Can We Take Any Positives?

40 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My problem is, we don’t look any more secure with three in the middle It was chaos when we operated with it in the first half against Brum, and we could quite easily have conceded 5 against Boro

It worked for a while at the stain, but we looked just as secure when we switched to a four when a Loovens got sent off

Add in our lack of wing backs, and I can’t see any point at all in playing that system

I think if we had Reach and Hunt as wing backs and you put Jones in defensive midfield together with Wallace and Boyd, you will see an upturn.

Id rather us go 4-3-3 as I’d like to see Ff on the left of a front 3 and Bannan and Lee in the middle. I know you like the 

4-2-3-1 system, but you do need pace and movement and we haven’t any. 

I really think we need to stick with the 3-5-2 for the time being, take Fox and Butterfield out of the team and play with proper wing backs. In my opinion, only option for the time being.

16 minutes ago, Stoop said:

If we win all our remaining 16 games we’ll finish on exactly the same points as we finished on last season

If we win all our remaining games, we’ll not only reach that target, but we’ll claim the FA Cup as well

3 hours ago, briggowl said:

Just considering the horror match that happened on Saturday again and reading the overwhelming negatives on here, I just thought I'd try and put some positives on it. 

First half, we were not good generally, 2 terrible mistakes cost us. I don't think that linesman in front of the North stand gave us anything all half, there were at least 2 free kicks he missed and then the ref had to give one that he ignored. Then he was the decision maker for the sending off, after the ref had pretty much let it go. Yeah I'm blaming the linesman/ref.

Second half, I was willing to give us 15 minutes before leaving and was expecting goals 4 and 5 to go in, if I'm honest and yet, we dug in and battled and played some reasonable football. Joao's goal was excellent and we we looked more likely to score again than them until the Pudil red. I stayed and cheered the lads on until the Joao penalty incident that surprise surprise the ref deemed to be a foul outside the box. 

Reach's free kick was enough and I left on that note but, I think every player put in a shift in that second half and actually if they can play like that from the start against Barnsley, I see no reason why we can't win. 

UTO

I think the only positive out of that match was that JL was prepared to throw one of the youngsters on. I could only see a shambolic performance which surpassed the Burton game. Now that takes some doing. You really thought that they put a shift in. Im going to have to stop going to these matches as all I can see is at least 8 or 9 players every game stealing a wage. Unless JL can turn this shambles around there is only going to be one outcome and it ain't a top six finish.

Another goal for Joao.

Thorniley hasn’t put a foot wrong.  He’ll probably be involved against Barnsley.

The first two goals that we conceded were flukes, that came from laughably poor mistakes.

The two sendings off were overly harsh.

Everything that could have possibly gone wrong, did go wrong.  Realistically it’s extremely unlikely that we will have so much bad luck in one game for the rest of the season now.

Positives?

Despite the dreadful malady this season has been haunted by and having buggerall players to pick from this is only his first defeat since he came here. 

It might seem a grasping of straws thing to say. 

But the way things were going , especially after Burton, if you'd told me that we would take something from the games against The Blunts, Cardiff and Middlesborough and keep clean sheets in all those games I'd have snapped your hand off. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Positives?

Despite the dreadful malady this season has been haunted by and having buggerall players to pick from this is only his first defeat since he came here. 

It might seem a grasping of straws thing to say. 

But the way things were going , especially after Burton, if you'd told me that we would take something from the games against The Blunts, Cardiff and Middlesborough and keep clean sheets in all those games I'd have snapped your hand off. 

Yes, Milord, you're right.

Even were we going for promotion, we'd probably have struggled to better those results.

We lost at bonny 'Boro two seasons ago, and Colin beat us here with Rotherham that same season.

How often do we win at the Lane?

It's Birmingham which has been the real aberration, and it's most unusual to see two clangers like that dropped in one match.

Hard to believe, I'd say.

I'd have expected a response at Barnsley, but now we're hampered with Hecky leaving.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, Milord, you're right.

Even were we going for promotion, we'd probably have struggled to better those results.

We lost at bonny 'Boro two seasons ago, and Colin beat us here with Rotherham that same season.

How often do we win at the Lane?

It's Birmingham which has been the real aberration, and it's most unusual to see two clangers like that dropped in one match.

Hard to believe, I'd say.

I'd have expected a response at Barnsley, but now we're hampered with Hecky leaving.

The two balls-ups against Birmingham are the type which might happen over 6 months.  Twice in 13 minutes is just off the scale. 

We were shocking. But the impact of those clangers were huge.  Add the sendings off. One harsh the other just short of criminal. 

It happens from time to time. They're those moments when a manager can do bod all about it. 

Barnsley will be tough. But the onus will be on them.  Our lads will get a tremendous backing at Oakwell I'm sure and the players have to do what they had done in the other Jos games and make sure they stick at it and dig in for a result.