briggowl

Can We Take Any Positives?

Just considering the horror match that happened on Saturday again and reading the overwhelming negatives on here, I just thought I'd try and put some positives on it. 

First half, we were not good generally, 2 terrible mistakes cost us. I don't think that linesman in front of the North stand gave us anything all half, there were at least 2 free kicks he missed and then the ref had to give one that he ignored. Then he was the decision maker for the sending off, after the ref had pretty much let it go. Yeah I'm blaming the linesman/ref.

Second half, I was willing to give us 15 minutes before leaving and was expecting goals 4 and 5 to go in, if I'm honest and yet, we dug in and battled and played some reasonable football. Joao's goal was excellent and we we looked more likely to score again than them until the Pudil red. I stayed and cheered the lads on until the Joao penalty incident that surprise surprise the ref deemed to be a foul outside the box. 

Reach's free kick was enough and I left on that note but, I think every player put in a shift in that second half and actually if they can play like that from the start against Barnsley, I see no reason why we can't win. 

UTO

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Just considering the horror match that happened on Saturday again and reading the overwhelming negatives on here, I just thought I'd try and put some positives on it. 

First half, we were not good generally, 2 terrible mistakes cost us. I don't think that linesman in front of the North stand gave us anything all half, there were at least 2 free kicks he missed and then the ref had to give one that he ignored. Then he was the decision maker for the sending off, after the ref had pretty much let it go. Yeah I'm blaming the linesman/ref.

Second half, I was willing to give us 15 minutes before leaving and was expecting goals 4 and 5 to go in, if I'm honest and yet, we dug in and battled and played some reasonable football. Joao's goal was excellent and we we looked more likely to score again than them until the Pudil red. I stayed and cheered the lads on until the Joao penalty incident that surprise surprise the ref deemed to be a foul outside the box. 

Reach's free kick was enough and I left on that note but, I think every player put in a shift in that second half and actually if they can play like that from the start against Barnsley, I see no reason why we can't win. 

UTO

Yes.

Won second half 1-0.

10 minutes ago, briggowl said:

UTO

Yes when it came to making a change and bring Joao on he got rid of the weakest man on the pitch Loovens. Hopefully we won't be renew his contract at the end of the season. Thanks for the service but simply Loovens is not good enough for this level anymore.

14 minutes ago, briggowl said:

UTO

Good post.

Birmingham were pooping themselves when we pulled a goal back, never mind all the soundbites from their manager about slackening off.

• Agree 1

We scored a goal.

Luhukay learned a lot about the players character.

Edited by adelphi1867

I agree mostly. The two awful individual mistakes aside, I don’t think we played terribly in the first half. Granted, we were nowhere good enough but I didn’t think we were terrible.

In terms of positives, I thought Joao and Thorniley did well when they can on. Like you, I also thought they put a decent enough shift in during the 2nd half.

The biggest positive for me was, at least the coach now realises 5-3-2doesn’t work

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The biggest positive for me was, at least the coach now realises 5-3-2doesn’t work

3-5-2 may do if Hunt and Reach were proper wing backs. I think this formation is the way to go at the moment until players come back.

Palmer and Fox are not wing backs and they offer zero threat going forward. They are not attacking players and they haven’t the energy of the above 2. Not saying Hunt is a world beater but he’s suited to wing back along with Reach.

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Agree 1

The only positive I believe we have from Saturday is hopefully Jos will now know who not to play.

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

3-5-2 may do if Hunt and Reach were proper wing backs. I think this formation is the way to go at the moment until players come back.

Palmer and Fox are not wing backs and they offer zero threat going forward. They are not attacking players and they haven’t the energy of the above 2. Not saying Hunt is a world beater but he’s suited to wing back along with Reach.

My problem is, we don’t look any more secure with three in the middle It was chaos when we operated with it in the first half against Brum, and we could quite easily have conceded 5 against Boro

It worked for a while at the stain, but we looked just as secure when we switched to a four when a Loovens got sent off

Add in our lack of wing backs, and I can’t see any point at all in playing that system

1 minute ago, SheffWed-1867 said:

Hopefully the Matias red card will be appealed and rescinded 

I would like that to happen, but sadly I can't see it.

1 minute ago, SheffWed-1867 said:

Hopefully the Matias red card will be appealed and rescinded 

Is this even likely do these decisions sometimes get changed. 

At least we weren't on sky. 

• Agree 1

Biggest positive was the new skill moves we have adopted for example, Venancio's assist using his chest and Wildsmith through the legs dummy.

• Haha 1

We don't have to play teams beginning with the letter B every week.