This Survey

37 minutes ago, soultime said:

its not about investment, its about good recruitment on lower budget, many teams have gone this route with success

its about having a proper Manager who recruits his own players ,No interference from above ,DC has come into this like a fish out of water ,Season tickets sales if we go down will be half what they are now .Charlton ,Wilkinson and Atkinson had scouts working for them in player recruitment ,They were managers not this bloody head coach rubbish.

I gave up on the survey when it came to ticket prices and future investment.

The way the questions were posed seemed to start from the premise that only paying high prices would get us promoted.

This is just plain wrong.

By all reports Sheffield Wednesday have had the highest ticket prices in the Championship for the last 2 seasons.(in fact higher than some in the Premier League).

By contrast, last season Huddersfield had one of the lowest ticket prices in the Championship.

Wednesday now languish in 17th place in the Championship

Huddersfield are enjoying the riches of the Premier League.

Don't think I need to add too much about the best way to manage a football club.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Animis said:

first time i looked at it yesterday - refused to go past question 11. It was like some kind of brexit 'gun at your head' scenario.

Yep, I stalled there, vmbutvthe  answered yes to reduced prices and yes to keeping investing in the squad- then used the comments box to explain my feelings on the line of questioning.

5 hours ago, soultime said:

its not about investment, its about good recruitment on lower budget, many teams have gone this route with success

Hit the nail on the head. Its ok having money to burn ,but if you waste it ,as we have done , you may as well be skint and bringing in freebies . 

Our recruitment since DC came in has , on a whole ,been a disaster. 

9 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Does anyone actually think that lower prices will actually increase attendances?

I don't. People who stay away will always find an excuse.

Its not people finding an excuse 

its the club/team not doing well enough to attract them to go

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Its not people finding an excuse 

its the club/team not doing well enough to attract them to go

The best way to attract people is to be in the premiership.

If they don't come then, they never will.

Just now, jonnyowl said:

The best way to attract people is to be in the premiership.

If they don't come then, they never will.

That's too overdramatic

We can get promoted on smaller attendances than what we get now

We just have to buy more sensibly, manage the players more appropriately, run the club more efficiently

It's nothing to do with attendances whether we get promoted or not

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's too overdramatic

We can get promoted on smaller attendances than what we get now

We just have to buy more sensibly, manage the players more appropriately, run the club more efficiently

It's nothing to do with attendances whether we get promoted or not

I agree, I just don't think reducing prices will have any effect on attracting more people to turn up!

More people will turn up if we are in the premiership!

The prices don't really make much difference to what we can afford to pay in wages and transfer fees.

Say 20,000 season tickets and they put them up by £100 that's £2,000,000. Would the season ticket holders pay the extra £100 or would sales fall? How about if they put them up by £200? I bet ticket sales would fall quite a bit.

How about sticking £10 on shirt sales, How many do we sell ... I;ve no idea, 10,000? That would be £100,000  double the number of sales and it's still only £200,000.

£2m, doesn't pay the transfer fee for Abdi, Didn't we pay about that for Pudil?

Extra £200,000 doesn't even pay the wages of Nuhiu for a year.

The problem with FFP won't be solved by squeezing the fans until the pips squeak, it will be solved when the club develops a coherent strategy to buy players who improve the first team and not players who don't fit our system. Younger hungry players who don't want unrealistic wages. We need a scouting system that can find lower league players with potential.

It will take time to build a team that way but we tried the other way, we almost did it but failed. 

Crowd figures depend on a complex mixture of prices, success and who we are playing. In the 80s we were paying the modern equivalent of a tenner to go to games. Football prices are now set at a level that they aren't insignificant when we reduce them. Even at £20 they'd still be more than double what we paid then - and there were people saying that was too expensive.  So it isn't a simple equation that you eg halve the price and double the crowd. It will attract more fans but how many depends on all sorts of additional factors too.

Those of us who go whatever are a captive market who will pay over the odds because of our obsession. I object to fleecing of that loyalty and that's what clubs across the country have done. We just happen to be the worst example outside the Premiership. It's bad PR - especially when one avowed intent is to deter away fans something I find appalling - it builds up resentment and it makes minimal difference when we've spunked cash around like we have on wages and fees for players who have made no impact at all.

People talk about our progression in seasons one and two under Chansiri but this season has been a nightmare. I fail to see how this can be blamed on the fans as we've paid the high ticket prices thus far. Alternatively if the ticket prices are reduced and we don't go up then Chansiri can't blame us. Plenty of sides have been promoted without spending (or wasting) millions. 

I would much rather we play smart rather than risk than risk alienating the fan base with stupid surveys and daft statements like the one before Christmas.

10 hours ago, Animis said:

I got stuck at this conundrum, then started thinking about Emanuelson, Abdi, Matias et al.

image.thumb.png.41eb1a1da1652842574e6d5953d84c85.png

Surely if we are selling first team

players and bringing through academy players it can only be a good thing 

for example 

Sell Fox - Matt Penney 

Sell Loovens- Promote Thorniley

Sell Van Aken - Promote O’Grady

Sell Wallace - Promote Clare 

All the above on a decent wage and all the youth players have good potential and have played football at football leagues level 

6 minutes ago, Owl14 said:

Surely if we are selling first team

players and bringing through academy players it can only be a good thing 

for example 

Sell Fox - Matt Penney 

Sell Loovens- Promote Thorniley

Sell Van Aken - Promote O’Grady

Sell Wallace - Promote Clare 

All the above on a decent wage and all the youth players have good potential and have played football at football leagues level 

It sounds like a good idea but do you think they are ready for full on Championship football every week? 

Thornily wouldn't be anywhere as good as Loovens was a couple of years ago or even last season. I'm not knocking the lad, he could develop into a cracking player but he will need a lot of experience before he's up to playing in a promotion winning team.. Same with Clare and Wallace, I know Wallace isn't the player he was but Clare isn't the player Wallace was, he needs more experience.

Putting too many youngsters in at once could ruin them, they need experienced players around them to learn from.

I'm all for promoting them but lets do it slowly and carefully to give them the best chance of reaching their potential.   

11 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I agree, I just don't think reducing prices will have any effect on attracting more people to turn up!

More people will turn up if we are in the premiership!

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

All of that is true

It's a universal law of business that reducing the price of a product will increase the number of units sold.