Matias sent off - violent conduct

The problem, whatever it was, was raised by the referee not the linesman. He never raised his flag.

He then went to the linesman who lacked the bottle to say nothing happened.

Neither of them saw anything totally conclusive to warrant a red card otherwise the card would have been out straight away. An officious ref decided to become the centre of attention.

I think we would lose an appeal

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem, whatever it was, was raised by the referee not the linesman. He never raised his flag.

He then went to the linesman who lacked the bottle to say nothing happened.

Neither of them saw anything totally conclusive to warrant a red card otherwise the card would have been out straight away. An officious ref decided to become the centre of attention.

I think we would lose an appeal

We should appeal even if it is just to get the Birmingham lad a 3 game ban as well why on earth should we be the only ones who have to suffer?

1 hour ago, Blue n White Rampage said:

Who was on the receiving end of the alledged violent conduct?

Bramall clearly looked like he was expecting to be in trouble as he was walking off, matias also had a guilty look to him but neither one of them complained.

This is modern football, if one of them had a grievance it would be clear for the world to see.

Luhukay wont appeal the decision and the f.a. would never have rescinded it (let alone review it fairly).

We've been fcuked over again. We have to move on. The incident needs documenting and sending to pmgo or whoever and highlighting our grievance with the referees poor understanding of the incident and human nature factor in a footballing contest.

Mm shouldnt be getting so much grief. Nor should the rest of the squad. 10 first team injuries and a new manager are perfectly understandable grounds for poor performances.

Yeah we want this that and the other, then go support man city or chelsea or coca cola or justin bieber or some other nonfootball entity

Given three defensive blunders each one putting a goal on a plate, and a young keeper who has had bad days before despite his brilliance in the last month, and so many players out, the scoreline was not too bad. Too much grief not necessary.

I haven't watched it back to get a better view of whether Matias did dive or not, but there was an incident maybe 10 minutes before his red card where he was running down the wing and seemingly got a blatant trip from the Brum player right in front of the linesman, but nothing was given.

I don't think the linesman is going to be on Marco's Christmas card list.

3 hours ago, Blue n White Rampage said:

I agree that they should accept responsibility. The match report should be publicized within hours of the end of the game. The following day the ref should watch a full replay and the next day (2 days after the game) should be available to answer questions and where necessary to apologise for mistakes or to receive apologies from players or managers

People pay money to watch the game, so should be treated accordingly.

what you're saying has a good element of truth in it, the system could involve a league table of s*** officials, and those finishing bottom of the table could be horsewhipped at h/t of the last home match of the season, thus encouraging less inept performances from them.

3 hours ago, sparkowl said:

Anyone else think it could have been payback for Marco refusing to put the ball down, for the earlier free kick. Nah surely not, no ref could be that petty, Could they?

MM was fouled quite a few times in that corner during the first half and was never given a free kick once by the linesman stood yards away. Had his shirt pulled in the first minute then the incident when he was clear of the full back and was tripped. 

As for the red card, with my own eyes I saw a Birmingham player thrust his head forward but expected nothing to come of it. Once the ref and lino started to make something of it I fully expected the Birmingham player to see a card. Staggered to see MM get red.

Having watched the video I can confirm my eyes work well, exactly what I saw happened. Quite staggering that people in this thread are putting blame on MM. He clearly does nothing. He didn't even react to the Birmingham player putting his head into his face (which clearly happens). Oddly he would have been better served to have overreacted and gone down! He does the right thing by getting on with the game and gets a red!!

7 minutes ago, wellowl said:

Look at the video and look at Marco's right arm go round his head looks like it could be a smack.

From the south stand it looked like Mathias had raised a hand. From the replay it looked like he didn’t. 

Thing is though even if he did, their player didnt go down and there were no complaints from Brum players. 

The ref should have managed the situation much better, as with Pudil’s first yellow which also cost us. 

He was sent off for a "Headbutt".

Nothing to do with arms or feet or any other part of the anatomy, no conspiracy theory or hidden camera angle.

The referee said he headbutted the Birmingham player who was innocent.

Do you agree with the referee who said that Matias headbutted the Birmingham player, who was innocent, and deserved to be sent off for it?

5 hours ago, sparkowl said:

Anyone else think it could have been payback for Marco refusing to put the ball down, for the earlier free kick. Nah surely not, no ref could be that petty, Could they?

Judging by his overal over the top "I'm in charge here" attitude i think you might be onto something. Even that free kick shouldn't have been and if it was a foul he should have waited to allow advantage.

Incompetent and i wouldn't be surprised at all if Matias bruised his ego with that and was looking to show him who's boss.

I think the officiating was generally bizarre the whole game. MM was clearly tripped and got nothing earlier. Ref didn't like him holding the ball for the freekick either (why ref didn't just go up to him and say if you have the ball in your hand when I blow I'll give a freekick against you, rather than gesticulating so much I'll never know). For the sending off I was shocked, from the north I saw the brum lad kick out at him with his left leg as they started to tussle, (from video you can also see him go to grab MM via the throat) he then leant his head in. MM did the same with his head and pushed him away as he went off. Brum lad never reacted in shock to any of it and looked just as sheepish when ref was calling em over. Both should've had the same punishment. Yellow for both a most.

Mind you I was amazed at both of Pudil's yellows too. First one GK wouldn't give ball back was being chased by Pudil, Benny hill/Duncan Novell style and seemed to fall over rather than being pushed. Ref assumed Pudil did it thru about 4/5 players. His second was harsh too. He'd already started pulling away from challenge when Jota jumped higher than kauto star could. I thought simulation (as FF would get booked for and that brum lad who'd try to win a pen should have, but didn't get booked) but alas no. 

In today's modern micro managed football world, where theres so much money and video and discussion/forums it's important to have things cleared up. That's why I like the TMO decision process and miked up officials in rugby. At least you understand how a decision has come about. The ref could've explained himself or we could've at least challenged that their player did the same. I'd rather change the time of a game to only tick on when a ball is in play and drop to 60mins and have a proper decision process, or have physics run on during play, than remain as we are. Yes you'll never be 100% correct and we all like a good debate, but at least we'd see a higher level of consistency and understanding of decisions overall across the board. Take the pressure of the refs. Rather than have the same incident at 12 games and get 6 different decisions to it, as we clearly see of football league show/match of the day etc.

In this instance, which is wrong in my opinion, I don't think it would get turned over however, as not enough angles to clear MM and the officials are not man enough to admit they got it wrong on evidence. What should happen is their player should at least receive same punishment.  Not that any of this matters now like. 

What annoys me more is leg breaking and clearly vindictive dirty challenges are often gotten away with more than when 2 players chuck handbags at each other. 

I'm not excusing our performance in any way in that first half and if you gift goals (and it was truely gifting goals) at any level (not once but twice!!) Then you can expect to lose games like that. But with a reserve XI out there and new ideas trying to be implemented you can see how we are all frustrated and worried, so it's natural for big decisions to be focused on at these times.

Personally I was always coached that the officials will get things wrong, so go out there, be better than them and make sure that those decisions don't affect your result. So I expect crap decisions, and we have seen plenty of them all year. Unfortunately our performances this season have not been good enough in general terms to make them have no effect.

Not read all the post, but for me its the lack of reaction from both players.  Both just run off as if nothing happened. Then both looked confused as they were unsure of who was being called back.  Strange,  I would like a view from the north stand so I could see what the linesman saw though. 

14 hours ago, sharrowowl said:

He was sent off for a "Headbutt".

Nothing to do with arms or feet or any other part of the anatomy, no conspiracy theory or hidden camera angle.

The referee said he headbutted the Birmingham player who was innocent.

Do you agree with the referee who said that Matias headbutted the Birmingham player, who was innocent, and deserved to be sent off for it?

Cannot see any head butt by MM