Loovens subbed on 24min

7 hours ago, ka58 said:

Loovens is on his way out because of his age.

hes still capable of playing very well though. 

Was excellent away at villa and also at bramall Lane until his red card.

people should remember what a good job he’s done at Wednesday and maybe not be too harsh on him.

Nobody needs to remember anything . Right now he’s past it and shouldn’t be playing championship football . Never get this obsession with the past 

11 hours ago, doubleo said:

I think we're going to see alot of this sort of thing for the rest of the season - where the selection sometimes baffles us mere fans - Jos is still trying out new combinations etc, and with all the injuries, he's got alot of experimenting to do. As long as we don't get sucked into the bottom 3 I'm ok with that. Think we just need to get behind the man and give him a bit of time. There were actually signs of the Dave/ Matias partnership working .

Until one got banned. Falling apart again

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Nobody needs to remember anything . Right now he’s past it and shouldn’t be playing championship football . Never get this obsession with the past 

Im not saying he should play because he’s done well in the past.

im just saying he should be respected a bit more for it. The way people currently talk about him is poor for someone who has done well for us.

I've never been one to hide my respect and love for Glenn Loovens. He's been the best captain this club has had barring Big Nige in my lifetime. Its sad to say but his playing days should be few and far between these days. The red card against Derby looks like its finished him. Its made him nervy. Nearly de-membering the lad at Ipswich and then getting sent off at the lane is a result of this. He's lost confidence in his legs. Ability wise he's still fine but his legs are letting him down and you can tell. He's scared stiff when ever anyone runs at him. Thought it was a bizarre one sticking him straight back in against Brum. The lad was superb at Boro and other than a shaky first 10, was very assured. He shouldn't have been dropped. 

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

Im not saying he should play because he’s done well in the past.

im just saying he should be respected a bit more for it. The way people currently talk about him is poor for someone who has done well for us.

I don't think anybody would argue that Loovens has been an excellent signing for us,  for at least 2 years he was a leader and a class act in 90% of games and the good far outweighs the bar during his time here.

But  the fact is he's an absolute nightmare every time he steps on the field now,  it can't be ignored just because he used to be good, we urgently need to replace him.

He'll be remembered well when he leaves and rightly so, but there's no room for sentiment, if he's not good enough, the fans are always going to say it. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He should have been replaced after the play off final.

He was part of the defence that got us to the play offs last year.

Players get old (in football terms) but I try to respect them for what they have done for the club. Even if we think their playing days are over let's not rewrite history. Loovens was still a decent player last year. Yes in an ideal world a young fast strong CB with good ball skills would have been great but we didn't have one of those, we had Loovens and he did a good job for us last year. This year the whole squad has under performed. 

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

He was part of the defence that got us to the play offs last year.

Players get old (in football terms) but I try to respect them for what they have done for the club. Even if we think their playing days are over let's not rewrite history. Loovens was still a decent player last year. Yes in an ideal world a young fast strong CB with good ball skills would have been great but we didn't have one of those, we had Loovens and he did a good job for us last year. This year the whole squad has under performed. 

Too many mistakes in his game. We probably set up too negatively which helped keep the goals conceded down.

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was not too impressed with way Loovens went straight down the tunnel after being subbed on Saturday.

Thought as club captain should have swallowed his pride and sat on bench and tried to encourage his team mates.

Will give him benefit of the doubt though and say he was injured and needed treatment.

I'd have been pissed off too. One of the other defenders should have been taken off before him.

Though I think Glenn ought to be released when his contract is up in the summer, it is ironic that he gets dropped as a result of the mistakes of Venancio and Wildsmith (though Butterfield could have a claim to an assist for their second with a dreadful pass in from the touchline). He has been a great servant and fine ambassador for the club, but time to go.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

Well, the result was getting 1-1 for the last 75 minutes opposed to 0-2 for the first 21 minutes. Figures speak I'd say.

True. If Wildsmith/Venancio hadn't dropped almighty clangers, we might have got an undeserved draw or better.

Thought we'd lose as soon as I saw the team.

But two points.

First Jos has to see them all in front of  a crowd.  Training ground isn't the same.

Second. 25,000 booing our weaker players helps nobody.  You can see Fox and Butterworth were hiding.  Think Fox kept hugging the touchline in the hope that none of our players would see him.

Anyway , 1-3 by a nine man weakened team is far from our worst disaster.  

I wouldn't want many Owlstalkers in the trenches with me if I was a fighting man. 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We have had the opportunity to go out and get better but didn't. If we had then who knows where we could have been. Improvements to full backs centre half and midfield were needed but weren't fulfilled.

Well that's the theory dealt with. Problem is we need to deal with the here and now...