The Kop Band - The club want to know your thoughts..

1 minute ago, archieswfc said:

I'll reword it. The majority of people dislike them, both here at Hillsborough and at England games.

that maybe nearer the truth.

however what IS the truth is the fact we are shamed when sides turn up and churn out 'is this a library', and believe me from the n/w very little can be heard of singing from the kop unless we are firing and the crowd is 100% behind the team. 

now some of it is down to the split in support at home, as opposed from when we are away, but how do you get any south standers onto the kop (ok singing south standers are few and far between) but the lads on the n/w go there for the 'crack' with opposition fans, they pay a premium over kop prices to do so, they aren't going to give that up easily.

I don’t understand the ones who claim that they would sing if.....

There was a singing section

if there wasn’t a band

If there was safe standing 

x, y or z reason

Its all excuses. Just get together with a group of your mates and join in. Or buy tickets nearer to the areas that do sing. 

Edited by Miffed

We will never develop a proper atmosphere while the band are parping away.  On the occasions when the fans get behind the team and the atmosphere is electric it has nothing to do with the band.

Just get rid of them they are absolutely awful and an embarrasment.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

We will never develop a proper atmosphere while the band are parping away.  On the occasions when the fans get behind the team and the atmosphere is electric it has nothing to do with the band.

Just get rid of them they are absolutely awful and an embarrasment.

it maybe true we will never get a proper atmosphere whilst the band are playing, but it's not just the band, and when the band don't turn in it's worse, it's either 'the library' of you can hear the abuse and booing in nearly as many games as singing. 

any singing is weak and sporadic, and differs in if the kop starts, the north picks it up, by the time it gets to the n/w the kops above half a line in front. 

3 hours ago, dnhc said:

that maybe nearer the truth.

however what IS the truth is the fact we are shamed when sides turn up and churn out 'is this a library', and believe me from the n/w very little can be heard of singing from the kop unless we are firing and the crowd is 100% behind the team. 

now some of it is down to the split in support at home, as opposed from when we are away, but how do you get any south standers onto the kop (ok singing south standers are few and far between) but the lads on the n/w go there for the 'crack' with opposition fans, they pay a premium over kop prices to do so, they aren't going to give that up easily.

What you're saying sort of backs up what many have said on here. The band have ruined the atmosphere. They're now relied on to make noise. To the point where now, the fans are that bored of their drivel, they don't join in. When the fans do sing on their own, the band join in and kill it. Trust me. I sit on the kop. This happens every week. If they went now, we'd moan about there being no difference to the atmosphere.  Give it time and it would change. It was changing when they were banned but as soon as they were allowed back we were back to square one. 

3 hours ago, archieswfc said:

What you're saying sort of backs up what many have said on here. The band have ruined the atmosphere. They're now relied on to make noise. To the point where now, the fans are that bored of their drivel, they don't join in. When the fans do sing on their own, the band join in and kill it. Trust me. I sit on the kop. This happens every week. If they went now, we'd moan about there being no difference to the atmosphere.  Give it time and it would change. It was changing when they were banned but as soon as they were allowed back we were back to square one. 

the band haven't ruined the atmosphere, hillsborough's atmosphere has been s*** for decades, even your previous post recognises that, stating 'it was ok in the early 90's, that's a hell of a lot of NOT OK.

if they went now, we'd hear the groaning and booing. 

time wouldn't change it, the much needed supplement to maximise the vocal effect of singing from the kop is in the n/w (tbh, sorry you kopites, but it's a bit naff) and very unlikely to return, thus the band fills the void.

the kop is for disillusioned singers, those wanting to enter at a lower price, and brass bands.

20 hours ago, dnhc said:

the band haven't ruined the atmosphere, hillsborough's atmosphere has been s*** for decades, even your previous post recognises that, stating 'it was ok in the early 90's, that's a hell of a lot of NOT OK.

time wouldn't change it, the much needed supplement to maximise the vocal effect of singing from the kop is in the n/w (tbh, sorry you kopites, but it's a bit naff) and very unlikely to return, thus the band fills the void.

the kop is for disillusioned singers, those wanting to enter at a lower price, and brass bands.

Can't you see the connection? The atmosphere was ok (early 90s), then the band turned up and it's been downhill ever since. And as for rather hear the band than booing, that's not true. They do nothing when the team is underperforming. They only play when they're not needed ie; when we're playing ok and the fans are singing anyway. Hearing a brass band play to themselves at a football match does nothing at all to improve the atmosphere imo. I don't know when a football match and a brass band became ok to be honest. It's bizzare. 

29 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Can't you see the connection? The atmosphere was ok (early 90s), then the band turned up and it's been downhill ever since. And as for rather hear the band than booing, that's not true. They do nothing when the team is underperforming. They only play when they're not needed ie; when we're playing ok and the fans are singing anyway. Hearing a brass band play to themselves at a football match does nothing at all to improve the atmosphere imo. I don't know when a football match and a brass band became ok to be honest. It's bizzare. 

1) yes if the atmosphere was ok in the early 90's how was it in the 70's, 80's mid to late 90's , 00's picking out one small period in the clubs history when 'the atmosphere was OK' is hardly ammunition to slate the band for playing in the kop.

2) as above, the atmosphere was less than something to behold at hillsborough for a great deal of the time in recent history.

3) it's a total myth to say 'they do nothing when the team is underperforming', i have heard them try in vain to stir up the atmosphere when it's appalling, and thought 'keep flogging that dead horse'. 

4) 'they only play when there not needed' not true, library, morgue, call it what you will, the cheap seats, the family stand, the family on a budget stand, it's all of those, and PERHAPS the club doesn't need thoise families disturbed by abuse and foul mouthed chanting and songs, and finds a band better suited to a family atmosphere in the cheap seats. 

5) i think you find trevor francis brought them in, wasn't he manager from around 91 to 95? the exact time you're claiming the atmosphere was at it's best, yet the manager at that 'best time for atmosphere' obviously thought something was missing to bring them in. 

22 hours ago, dnhc said:

I don't think our atmosphere is any worse than the majority of home crowd atmosphere's. Yes there are a few where the ground is more enclosed and a smaller, fuller stand behind the goal can create a good noise but the 'is this a library' song gets sung at many grounds these days. The openness of our ground and the way the singning fans are now dispersed around the Kop and the far end of the North doesn't help. 

I started going in the late 80's and early 90's, before the band and when the Kop was standing and close to full the noise was good. When Hemmingham started out on his own with the trumpet around 1993 it helped as it was novel and it started songs rather than performed them as the band do now.

The size of the band is way too big now, at the most a trumpet and a drum is all that's needed. They do sometimes play over the fans who start songs and these days some fans seem to be waiting for the band to play something before they sing, that would change after a while if they were no longer allowed.  

Tell them to leave the instruments at home for a while and see what happens, they often take them elswehere anyway if we clash with the Rhino's or a better offer for them.

36 minutes ago, dnhc said:

1) yes if the atmosphere was ok in the early 90's how was it in the 70's, 80's mid to late 90's , 00's picking out one small period in the clubs history when 'the atmosphere was OK' is hardly ammunition to slate the band for playing in the kop.

2) as above, the atmosphere was less than something to behold at hillsborough for a great deal of the time in recent history.

3) it's a total myth to say 'they do nothing when the team is underperforming', i have heard them try in vain to stir up the atmosphere when it's appalling, and thought 'keep flogging that dead horse'. 

4) 'they only play when there not needed' not true, library, morgue, call it what you will, the cheap seats, the family stand, the family on a budget stand, it's all of those, and PERHAPS the club doesn't need thoise families disturbed by abuse and foul mouthed chanting and songs, and finds a band better suited to a family atmosphere in the cheap seats. 

5) i think you find trevor francis brought them in, wasn't he manager from around 91 to 95? the exact time you're claiming the atmosphere was at it's best, yet the manager at that 'best time for atmosphere' obviously thought something was missing to bring them in. 

I can't comment on anything pre 1987. All I know is once the band came the atmosphere deteriorated. 

Francis did bring them in towards the end of his tenure, that is true. Around the same time it started going 5h1t. It started with a novelty lone buguler. What's happened since is the most tin pot thing in English football.

1 hour ago, archieswfc said:

I can't comment on anything pre 1987. All I know is once the band came the atmosphere deteriorated. 

Francis did bring them in towards the end of his tenure, that is true. Around the same time it started going 5h1t. It started with a novelty lone buguler. What's happened since is the most tin pot thing in English football.

the atmosphere started going s*** at that time, because the clubs on field fortunes started going s*** at that time. 

yes it is somewhat tinpot, but sadly so is our home atmosphere in comparison to our away supports, but as i've said getting guys back to sing in the family stand, is quite a bit naf, move over dads, women, and children, i very much doubt it.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think our atmosphere is any worse than the majority of home crowd atmosphere's. Yes there are a few where the ground is more enclosed and a smaller, fuller stand behind the goal can create a good noise but the 'is this a library' song gets sung at many grounds these days. The openness of our ground and the way the singning fans are now dispersed around the Kop and the far end of the North doesn't help. 

I started going in the late 80's and early 90's, before the band and when the Kop was standing and close to full the noise was good. When Hemmingham started out on his own with the trumpet around 1993 it helped as it was novel and it started songs rather than performed them as the band do now.

The size of the band is way too big now, at the most a trumpet and a drum is all that's needed. They do sometimes play over the fans who start songs and these days some fans seem to be waiting for the band to play something before they sing, that would change after a while if they were no longer allowed.  

Tell them to leave the instruments at home for a while and see what happens, they often take them elswehere anyway if we clash with the Rhino's or a better offer for them.

i have already pointed out the dispersal of support into the n/w will have definitely affected the atmosphere on the kop, but that doesn't look likely to change.

the time when standing was replaced by seasting is more than likely an equal culprit in damaging any efforts of raising a song effectively enough of the time, both by displacement of like minded people, and it's more difficult to sing well sat down, but i very much doubt we'll see standing permitted at s6.

there are times when the band doesn't turn up, and the great opportunity (i'm led to believe) never seems to materialise into fact. 

thay are slated for being there, then they are slated for not being there, i think it's just any angle will do for a pop.

On 04/02/2018 at 14:43, dnhc said:

it maybe true we will never get a proper atmosphere whilst the band are playing, but it's not just the band, and when the band don't turn in it's worse, it's either 'the library' of you can hear the abuse and booing in nearly as many games as singing. 

any singing is weak and sporadic, and differs in if the kop starts, the north picks it up, by the time it gets to the n/w the kops above half a line in front. 

SPRINGS, why not post, we don't bite.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

i have already pointed out the dispersal of support into the n/w will have definitely affected the atmosphere on the kop, but that doesn't look likely to change.

the time when standing was replaced by seasting is more than likely an equal culprit in damaging any efforts of raising a song effectively enough of the time, both by displacement of like minded people, and it's more difficult to sing well sat down, but i very much doubt we'll see standing permitted at s6.

there are times when the band doesn't turn up, and the great opportunity (i'm led to believe) never seems to materialise into fact. 

thay are slated for being there, then they are slated for not being there, i think it's just any angle will do for a pop.

I am sure most would be happy to see them buy a ticket, turn up and support their team without their instruments instead of going off to support a rugby team in Leeds.

18 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I am sure most would be happy to see them buy a ticket, turn up and support their team without their instruments instead of going off to support a rugby team in Leeds.

i'm absolutely sure you're correct, but it appears for some time the club hasn't thought so, it allows them in with their instruments. and like it or not that's what you have.

4 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i'm absolutely sure you're correct, but it appears for some time the club hasn't thought so, it allows them in with their instruments. and like it or not that's what you have.

Which is why they are asking the question again, though I am sure the last time this was done the results were not what was expected. The band have had a friend or 2 in fairly influential positions at the club in this respect.