The Kop Band - The club want to know your thoughts..

16 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

I'm in favour.  There's always more people willing to criticise from the sidelines than actually do anything. 

This is where many people are wrong. There are many fans up towards the back of the Kop who are prepared to sing all game yet many times when they get a song going they are drowned out by an out of time drum or an out of key trumpet, or by the band playing a completely different song. It still happens, like at the Cardiff game where people around me were singing yet two minutes later they had a look of bemusement and frustration on their faces from being drowned out. I promise, it happens at least once every game and if you listen out Im sure it will happen today. 

Many people have either moved to other areas of the stadium or just given up trying because of the band.

Its a real shame that there is no in-between option, for just a drum for example, so for that reason I voted no

The problem is that the band actually cause the bad atmosphere, because people rely on them. So we need to remove them for a decent period of time before assessing

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

I think this is what annoys people more. The fact they prostitute themselves around for England and rhinos rather than their playing at Hillsborough.  I'm a bit ambivalent towards them but do agree without them it could be morgue like on a lot of occasions. Maybe the club could suggest a trial period without them to see what happens.

Did it under Allen. The atmosphere was just starting to return when LS did the dodgy vote and back they came.

42 minutes ago, Miffed said:

This is where many people are wrong. There are many fans up towards the back of the Kop who are prepared to sing all game yet many times when they get a song going they are drowned out by an out of time drum or an out of key trumpet, or by the band playing a completely different song. It still happens, like at the Cardiff game where people around me were singing yet two minutes later they had a look of bemusement and frustration on their faces from being drowned out. I promise, it happens at least once every game and if you listen out Im sure it will happen today. 

Many people have either moved to other areas of the stadium or just given up trying because of the band.

Its a real shame that there is no in-between option, for just a drum for example, so for that reason I voted no

All true. We'll never just get a drum mate because that wouldn't involve Hemmingham.

Apart from the big games , and when we are winning there is no atmosphere the majority of the time .

In the majority of games it’s only the band that stop Hillsborough been as quiet as a library .

for thar reason , it’s a big keep from me, and that’s how I voted . 

Edited by Vernster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vernster said:

Apart from the big games , and when we are winning there is no atmosphere the majority of the time .

In the majority of games it’s only the band that stop Hillsborough been as quiet as a library .

for thar reason , it’s a big keep from me, and that’s how I voted . 

Some might suggest that's the same as saying we shouldn't have a black balloon protest and get rid of Dave Allen as chairman because no other person would want to come in and take over the club 

Owlstalk Shop

Players come out of tunnel - play song X

Drum out of time during Hi Ho Silver Lining (even though theres no need to drum at all)

Game kicks off - Play song Y

Wednesday get a corner - Play song Z

Wednesday score - play Aida (even though the fans sometimes want to sing the goalscorers name)

Wednesday fans sing - Drown them out

Opposition keeper taking a goal kick - Attempt to put them off with the drum (even though this hasnt worked once in 20 years)

Its all very scripted and robotic

For a lot of fans they have known nothing else.

I think the band should be asked to play every other home game until the end of season and then the club should do a survey.

That way people can compare and decide.

Personally I think it has become a bit dull.

Thought today summed them up. Joined in songs already started, only to ruin them. Play at obvious times, when the fans would sing anyway. But what I thought was poor, when Wildsmith made his error, that was a perfect time to sing his name/England's number 1. Give the lad a lift, he was stood there with his head down. Sadly there was nothing. Admittedly, nothing from any of the crowd, but the band's one job is to create a positive atmosphere. They're absolutely pointless. Get foookin rid.

19 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Apart from Wembley how many times has the band turned up for an away day ?

You have at least 3 people in this thread that have said they never heard the band at Wembley in a scintillating atmosphere so at best their effect at Wembley was marginal 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

On 02/02/2018 at 17:24, @owlstalk said:

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 17.23.54.jpg

The club survey going out to customers today has this question...

i've been going since the late 60's and hillsborough has always has a problem with the atmosphere, until it is sorted, the band is needed, they drown out most of the booing anyway.

40 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

There wasn't a problem in the early 90's.

there has nearly always been a problem, firstly with the roof missing the sound just went out, then when a roof was fitted i very much doubt that a great deal of thought went into the acoustics.

in later years our more vocal (on away grounds) support is spread within hillsborough so badly diluting it's effect, add to that we've not had the best side in the land, and perhaps not even in the top 30/40% to be fair. 

there has been grumbling and booing taking place at times, more often than cheering and singing, and we can't wait to have a premier league team to have an atmosphere.

also the band hides the embarrassment of sides singing 'is this a library' until we can sort out the home support (and i can't see that in the next ten years) we need the band in the library. 

we have a real problem with atmosphere for home support, that isn't helped by the west stand acoustics (and the congestion of away fans) making that the noisy area of the ground.