Oh for Hooper Fletcher and Rhodes

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

All three are ponderous and slow, though Hooper does at least bring some guile to the attack At least now, we have some much needed pace in the side The player we really miss, is Forestieri

Its not Pace that wins matches, its goals.

15 goals from this ponderous trio in the 19 matches they Started is fabulous. Comparable with any other teams front pairing.

Compare that with the matches we have started with the pacy Forestieri an/or Joao, this season and last, where the strikers couldn’t score.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

15 goals from this ponderous trio in the 19 matches they Started is fabulous. Comparable with any other teams front pairing.

Compare that with the matches we have started with the pacy Forestieri an/or Joao, this season and last, where the strikers couldn’t score.

No teams with promotion aspirations would take Fletcher or Rhodes Hooper though, is a different kettle of fish

3 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Ideally we wouldn’t have any of the 3 as our main strikers, especially for the money they are on.

A 20 goal a season striker becomes a 10 goal a season striker if he only plays half the games 

That would be nice yes

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

We handled them very badly this season. We played Hooper-Fletcher far too often and far too long in matches. It was ostrich management, as it was purely a matter of time before one (or both as it transpired) broke down.

The trio of Hooper-Rhodes-Fletcher should have had roughly equal time, and perhaps with Joao and Nuhiu taking some minutes and halves off them.  Fletcher was walking wounded, yet played match after match. Hooper played nearly every minute of every game....who could foresee what was likely to occur? 

I expect Jos will be more intelligent.

It will be interesting to see what Jos does with Hooper, assuming we see him again this season.

We are trying to play a higher tempo both in terms of closing the opponents down and also when we have the ball. This is not Hooper’s game, he is not athletic and not that mobile. He suited Carlos and his slow play.

It was interesting that Jos said after the Boro game that we struggled to retain possession.

This is what Hooper ( and Bannan)  do well but they also then slow the game down. 

Basically Jos probably needs to accept that if he wants high tempo then he needs to forget Hooper in terms of anything else other than being in the penalty box when it matters. Which of course as long as we still create chances will be enough. 

6 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Think you should add Lee to that list, out of the 5 games he's started we've won 4.

He has started 11 times.

W3 D4 L4

But I agree that a fit Kieran Lee would be a godsend.

5 hours ago, King_Monkey said:

Lots of stories re Carlos and his medical team(s) and i suppose we will never know the full truth, however players being rushed back is obviously never going to help and its quite refreshing to listen to Jos say that BB has had a small set back and that he wont be rushed back and patience is needed, who knows Carlos might not have been as lucky to be afforded that time and only now that promotion is not really achievable is DC allowing Jos the chance to get people right for next season.

Its my understanding that Loovens is retiring and returning to Holland at the end of the season, Hutch i am unsure how long left on his contract and id look to pay up Abdi.

Not claiming I know owt, never been ITK, never will be.

But worked briefly with a young lad who'd been on a placement at Wednesday, training to be a Physio.

He'd been there 2 years. 

I asked him what he thought of Carlos replacing the Medical Team (bare in mind this guy had left his placement before this happened). He shrugged and said, "4 physios all with different views of the same player is never good".

He also said that at ever club he spent time at, it was the same faces (players) hanging out in the Treatment Room, messing on their phones. lol

Not sure how much the lad really knew, he spent most of his time with the U16s, so maybe just repeated the general gossip.

Anyway, he left before I could get more out of him.

Am I the only one wondering why Rhodes and Fletcher get so much credit out of all this? Even in the supposedly ideal scenario of any combination of these three starting together, they have scored 5 goals between them in 19 attempts.

In terms of goals (and I fully accept there's more to it than that, but it's the chosen frame of reference here), it appears that Hooper is the one making it work, regardless of partner.

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But we won 6, drew 7 and lost 6 and let's face it if Brentford had a decent forward back then they would have been out of sight at half time.

Once again you just base stats without using any other deciding factors. 

Pace provides us a platform to attack quickly

It also and this is the biggest issue for me this season stops the opposition defence camping on the halfway line knowing that no-one is going to get in behind. This along with the slow passing allowed to teams to basically walk back into shape.

So if we take those 19 matches to use as a guide line we will achieve around 61ish points.

Hooper will score 24 which is very good.

Fletch will get 5

Rhodes will get 7

We are staying up I said we are staying up.

Now you could say other players should step up and maybe they should although Reach and Lee have scored more than Fletch and Reach is equal to Rhodes with 5 extra assists.

However compared to FF's one game this season, Fletcher and Rhodes are prolific.

J-Wow has 2 in 6 starts.

So the thread title should be get well soon Hoops because without you starting a game, we do not score, not one goal in the league.

9 hours ago, King_Monkey said:

Yes is the answer to that, its widely known that Hutch had broken a bone in his leg when it was diagnosed as a strain. Did you not know?

I’m not saying this is wrong but it’s quite hard to believe. Any athlete with a pain that could indicate a fracture of any kind (including a stress fracture) would have a scan, and this should indicate the fracture. Even if not a precise diagnosis the doctors would know it’s not a strain. This is standard procedure. 

There are some phenomenal attacking talents in this division now, and they don’t include the likes of Fletcher and Rhodes, whatever the stats say For me, I’d rather trust my eyes, and those two just don’t cut it 

Football has moved on my friends

Edited by gurujuan

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Am I the only one wondering why Rhodes and Fletcher get so much credit out of all this? Even in the supposedly ideal scenario of any combination of these three starting together, they have scored 5 goals between them in 19 attempts.

In terms of goals (and I fully accept there's more to it than that, but it's the chosen frame of reference here), it appears that Hooper is the one making it work, regardless of partner.

Bang on mate, Hoops is our best footballer and creates, scores and is the one making it work (with a helping hand from Nando when fit).  Personally I’d like to see Jaoa with these 2. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Thought the same. All it shows me is how much we miss Hooper as he scores the goals. Don't quite know how (from looking at the stats alone) any credit can be given to Rhodes or Fletcher for their part in the partnership. If anything it suggests we should try Hooper alongside Big Dave, Joao or Matias.

By going on what I see with my own eyes I would say that Hooper and Fletcher have the most natural combination / chemistry as a pairing.

Hooper and Rhodes as a pairing look to be on a total different wavelength.

Joao and Rhodes looked terrible together (playing as individuals) apart from the Cardiff match.

Matias and Big Dave have looked like they have an understanding in the cup games

Joao and Matias briefly appeared together and looked like there was something there straight away.

Fletcher and Rhodes would in theory get the best out of Rhodes

Joao and Hooper...who knows?

One from last season, FF and Winall against Hudds for about 20 mins looked absolutely fantasic. Winall dragging the center backs all over the shop and FF buzzing about in the spaces that Winall created. We never tried that one again!