Remember the South Stand when it looked like this?

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

couple of things put me off on that ... the stand looks pretty full and there was only 25k in that day and the pitch looks very well grassed for the last game of the season .......

Can see where you're coming from torry, and I'd normally bow to your superior memory on these things.

But going my the kits it can only be 1956-58, and we we're doing our yoyoing between the divisions and didn't play Wolves in the 56-57 season.

2 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Can see where you're coming from torry, and I'd normally bow to your superior memory on these things.

But going my the kits it can only be 1956-58, and we we're doing our yoyoing between the divisions and didn't play Wolves in the 56-57 season.

I don't really know but the I went for 60/61 due to the north stand being built so the ground was only 3 sided and that's why the south looks so full ....the player I went for was john Meredith who when I looked him up in the Wednesday boys book  does resemble the bloke in the photo ......but the only thing i'm a 100% on is ron flowers ..... 

6 hours ago, torryowl said:

does anyone know when we changed the Wednesday to Sheffield Wednesday on the gable ?

don't know about the gable but they changed the name in 1929

In 1929 the club officially changed its name from The Wednesday Football Club to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club under the stewardship of manager Robert Brown.[10] However the name Sheffield Wednesday dates back as far as 1883: the former ground at Olive Grove had the name Sheffield Wednesday painted on the stand roof.

The team rose to the top of English football once again in the 1928–29 season. They had almost been relegated in the previous season but with 17 points in the last 10 matches the team pulled off the great escape, rising from bottom to 14th. Consecutive titles in the next two seasons started a run that would see the team finishing lower than third only once until 1935. The period was topped off with the team winning the FA cup for the third time in the club's history in 1935 under manager Billy Walker.

7 hours ago, millo said:

The Wednesday player is Albert Quixall who left the club to go to Manchester United in September 1958 so match was definitely before 60/61.

Sorry millo I was reacting to daveyboy talking about his first match. It’s late 50s for me but it’s not Griffin and it just doesn’t look like Quixall. I think it could be Meredith.

10 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Definitely Quixall and Flowers too.

Would have been Quixalls last game for us before moving to Man U.

For the record, Albert Quixall's last game for Wednesday was 17th September 1958 before transfer to Manchester United later that month.

9 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

After some checking , its deffo the final game of 57/58 season 26th Apr . The assertion that its earlier because there is too much grass  is off the mark as its a black and white photo and the middle of the pitch would be a sandy desert from november to end of season and have been well rolled (Finney and Wilkinson would be the only ones who needed grass cleaning off the soles of there boots at full time):rolleyes:.

I was stood on the "Stocksbridge  corner "  at the time and most of the following season sticks most in my mind as the one where my dad getting more agitated with Eric Taylor for selling the club down the river by allowing AQ to leave , even though he had put in a transfer request !!.  He was grinding on about this all season as the north stand was being demolished  at the side of us , he was convinced AQ was being sold to pay for the new stand being built . 

The relegation after the Wolves game came as we had not been out of the bottom 3 since28th sept and you can just see AQ in the closed season saying to himself " cannot stand another season of failure " hence the TF request . However it was to be a turning point under Harry Catterick  and probably the best seasons since pre war. 

5 hours ago, Tarquin said:

After some checking , its deffo the final game of 57/58 season 26th Apr . The assertion that its earlier because there is too much grass  is off the mark as its a black and white photo and the middle of the pitch would be a sandy desert from november to end of season and have been well rolled (Finney and Wilkinson would be the only ones who needed grass cleaning off the soles of there boots at full time):rolleyes:.

I was stood on the "Stocksbridge  corner "  at the time and most of the following season sticks most in my mind as the one where my dad getting more agitated with Eric Taylor for selling the club down the river by allowing AQ to leave , even though he had put in a transfer request !!.  He was grinding on about this all season as the north stand was being demolished  at the side of us , he was convinced AQ was being sold to pay for the new stand being built . 

The relegation after the Wolves game came as we had not been out of the bottom 3 since28th sept and you can just see AQ in the closed season saying to himself " cannot stand another season of failure " hence the TF request . However it was to be a turning point under Harry Catterick  and probably the best seasons since pre war. 

I read a book on harry catterick a while back and the board said they needed to sell quixall to raise some money if catterick needed players , out of the 45k they got for him they let him have 6 k to sign bobby craig .....it's no wonder harry didn't stick around when the everton job came up . 

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I read a book on harry catterick a while back and the board said they needed to sell quixall to raise some money if catterick needed players , out of the 45k they got for him they let him have 6 k to sign bobby craig .....it's no wonder harry didn't stick around when the everton job came up . 

There you have exactly what my dad was going on about . One saying was "you wont see a new stand score a goal":biggrin: 

• Haha 1