Remember the South Stand when it looked like this?

Remember standing on that terrace sometime in the early 60s. We were playing Man U in a night match. Massive crowd 55000 + I think. Lost 1-2 due to a late Best wonder show.

Exiting back of terrace the crush was that bad that I got caught up in a surge and my feet never touched the floor as went about 20 yards to the doorway. Scary.

Yes, I reckon they put seating in for 66 World Cup

I'd hazard a guess it's April 1958 last match of season?  Albert was transfered to Manachester United in September that year.

The man in the white coat is a trainer - whe've discussed this before on here. God only know why they dressed like that.

5a734daf3f203_post-4683-0978181001305447658_thumb.jpg.6ff45ba882daebe4e5a3ffb09b79954c.jpg

Seating was certainly installed for the '66 World Cup.  Whether it was moved for a short while afterwards  I could not say, but that photo is certainly pre WC.

By then, the name had been altered to Sheffield Wednesday, and a clock added. The entrances at the rear advertised Seating and South Stand Enclosure.. 

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Certainly looks before 66. If I'm correct, didn't they replace the standing area  with seats, for the World Cup?

I'd go for 56 or 57. If thats a young Albert Quixall its before Munich disaster that led to his transfer to Man U.

Don't remember Billy Griffin playing that many games Daveyboy, usually a reserve team player cos we had Fantham, Froggatt and Johnny Quinn inside forwards then.

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

The white picket fence to keep the thugs off the pitch - different times.

Football in this country needs to take a look at itself and decide if we continue down the path we are on, where it is all about money and greed or it becomes again a game for the people about passion and pride.

We can but hope.

You can hope but I fear it will be in vain, the suits have control.  

15 minutes ago, Blatter said:

I'd go for 56 or 57. If thats a young Albert Quixall its before Munich disaster that led to his transfer to Man U.

Don't remember Billy Griffin playing that many games Daveyboy, usually a reserve team player cos we had Fantham, Froggatt and Johnny Quinn inside forwards then.

59/60 Was the first season my dad took me so he'd gone by then.

60/61 for me davey. No comparison with the modern game or matchday experience.

A simple game that’s been ruined by money and social changes that we couldn’t have imagined back then. Sad In so many ways.

Its seeing pics like this that remind you how different life was 

8 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

That is how I remember it as a youngster. Billy Griffin v Ron Flowers ? Owls v Wolves

Just going to ask who they were, i guessed Dobson (A bit early for him?)  but no clue who the Wolves player was..

Back in the day when Wolves were a decent side, look at em now..WTF:

Where's the clock, thought that had been there forever

Edited by sherlyegg

12 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Just going to ask who they were, i guessed Dobson (A bit early for him?)  but no clue who the Wolves player was..

Back in the day when Wolves were a decent side, look at em now..WTF:

Where's the clock, thought that had been there forever

The Wednesday player is definitely Albert Quixall. The match was in the late 50's but before September '58 when Quixall was transferred to Manchester United.

1 hour ago, Ibbo48 said:

60/61 for me davey. No comparison with the modern game or matchday experience.

A simple game that’s been ruined by money and social changes that we couldn’t have imagined back then. Sad In so many ways.

Its seeing pics like this that remind you how different life was 

The Wednesday player is Albert Quixall who left the club to go to Manchester United in September 1958 so match was definitely before 60/61.