The Alliance

We've got four league titles on our honors roll, only 7 clubs have more (good trivia question, can you name them) and our oinky neighbours have just one.

But, we also won (as The Wednesday) The Football Alliance, which was the parallel league that ran alongside the early Football League before the two merged.  This was no mean feat, the two competitions were roughly equivalent in standard and we had to beat the likes of Stoke, Forest, Netwon Heath (now Man Utd), Ardwick (now Man City), Small Heath (now Birmingham City) etc to win it.

Should we add this to the Honours Board and should we stich FIVE stars to our kit above the badge to mark our five title wins? 

About five years ago, before any of us had heard of Chansiri, I suggest that I wanted to see three things by the time of our 150th anniversary season:

- Go back to the all blue with white sleeves kit

- Go back to a more traditional 50s/60s badge with our latin motto on it

- Stitch five stars above the badge on the shirt 

2/3 have come to pass and I had to laugh when most of my fellow Wednesday fans were up in arms with these changes because they were "against tradition" hahahahaha! 

29 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

We've got four league titles on our honors roll, only 7 clubs have more (good trivia question, can you name them) and our oinky neighbours have just one.

But, we also won (as The Wednesday) The Football Alliance, which was the parallel league that ran alongside the early Football League before the two merged.  This was no mean feat, the two competitions were roughly equivalent in standard and we had to beat the likes of Stoke, Forest, Netwon Heath (now Man Utd), Ardwick (now Man City), Small Heath (now Birmingham City) etc to win it.

Should we add this to the Honours Board and should we stich FIVE stars to our kit above the badge to mark our five title wins? 

Yes let’s have stars celebrating our league titles , the most recent being about 85 years ago ... and we call other teams tinpot ! 

Edited by james o connor

19 minutes ago, brazilowl said:

Sorry but having stars on the shirt for league winnings along time ago is cringeworthy. Just look at Huddersfield 3 stars for winning  the league in the 20s. Even worse is Yeovil they have a star for each 5 years in the league. 

100% agree with this. Maybe if we win the league again, put 5 stars on for a season or 2 but otherwise it is really tin pot.

Donny did it about 10 years ago with three stars representing Division 3 titles. Even their fans were embarrassed.

14 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Yes let’s have stars celebrating our league titles , the most recent being about 85 years ago ... and we call other teams tinpot ! 

Just for our 100th anniversary season, if that isn't the time to celebrate history and recognise our achievements then when is?

In the whole of England there aren't that many teams who've won a title, those who've never won the league include: West Ham, Southampton, Birmingham, Stoke City, Middlesborough.  Why shouldn't we be proud of our history? 

1 minute ago, beloved_aunt said:

Just for our 100th anniversary season, if that isn't the time to celebrate history and recognise our achievements then when is?

In the whole of England there aren't that many teams who've won a title, those who've never won the league include: West Ham, Southampton, Birmingham, Stoke City, Middlesborough.  Why shouldn't we be proud of our history? 

50 years too late 

Yes it should be counted, Nottingham Forest and Stoke both have the Alliance on their honours list but for some reason we don't (well not on the official site anyway). The alliance league was an alternative to the first division so it shouldn't be counted as a first division title but it should be counted in it's own right.

I always thought the 4 branches on our current badge represented our division one titles.

4 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

About five years ago, before any of us had heard of Chansiri, I suggest that I wanted to see three things by the time of our 150th anniversary season:

2/3 have come to pass and I had to laugh when most of my fellow Wednesday fans were up in arms with these changes because they were "against tradition" hahahahaha! 

Almost forgot, I also think we should change our name back to The Wednesday, at least for this season.  Though I imagine that'd go down like a lead ballon as well. 

11 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Almost forgot, I also think we should change our name back to The Wednesday, at least for this season.  Though I imagine that'd go down like a lead ballon as well. 

It would stop people calling us 'Sheffield' but knowing our luck we'd be known as 'The'.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

We have alwatys been poor inblue with white sleeves kit.

like latin motto and stars idea though.

5 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

The Blunts added the Charity Shield to their honours board

The fact they didn't actually win it is immaterial to them (they refused to play extra time in the replay and walked off the pitch in a huff)

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.