#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

11 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Hutch to team up with Lampard ?

Apparently its Terry who is going to join him. last thing they need had a team short of legs and a 38 year old centre half will help. Really plaeased with what Derby are doing.

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

At least they might not have to sack this one. Hasn't he walked out of most of his jobs.  Or left under a cloud should I say.

No Lille sacked him in Janauary. He his the last person a club like Leeds need. This guy is mad and creates upheavel wherever he goes so delighted he is favourite for Leeds job. Reputation based solely on comments by Pochettino and Guardiola his actual record at clubs is not great. Knows nothing about English football or Championship and has reputation for challenging everything. Not sure what record number of managerial turnovers is at a club but Leeds had 10 in 6 years and are making a great attempt to get record.

34 minutes ago, Quist said:

No Lille sacked him in Janauary. He his the last person a club like Leeds need. This guy is mad and creates upheavel wherever he goes so delighted he is favourite for Leeds job. Reputation based solely on comments by Pochettino and Guardiola his actual record at clubs is not great. Knows nothing about English football or Championship and has reputation for challenging everything. Not sure what record number of managerial turnovers is at a club but Leeds had 10 in 6 years and are making a great attempt to get record.

Like the Lampard appointment it could either be a stroke of genius or a catastrophe. Let's all hope for the latter in both cases.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

First thing he did after signing with Lille was getting rid of everyone who was older then 23.

Mad as a hatter.

2 hours ago, Quist said:

Sorry can’t agree did a great job at Athletic Bilbao, signed Herrera  fom local rivals, brought through Lorrente  and Martinez, and got them to a europa final. Some going given all the players have to come from the basque region. Imagine  us  getting to a Europe final  with , Only Yorkshire  born players! 

31 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Sorry can’t agree did a great job at Athletic Bilbao, signed Herrera  fom local rivals, brought through Lorrente  and Martinez, and got them to a europa final. Some going given all the players have to come from the basque region. Imagine  us  getting to a Europe final  with , Only Yorkshire  born players! 

To be fair that was 5 years ago

Since then 1 season as Marseille, 2 days at Lazio and 5 months at Lille. Add to that no experience in England and it’s hardly a mind blowing potential appointment.

Still think big Mick will end up there

40 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

To be fair that was 5 years ago

Since then 1 season as Marseille, 2 days at Lazio and 5 months at Lille. Add to that no experience in England and it’s hardly a mind blowing potential appointment.

Still think big Mick will end up there

Agree, Bielsa would appear a big risk. Someone like Bruce or McCarthy would make sense and I would think would be a smarter appointment? Seems like they don't learn, hiring leftfield foreign appointments or names that seem exciting or in-experienced British managers. I think what they really need is an old fashioned no nonsense experienced Championship/promotion manager but for once be patient and to let a manager run things how he wants? The rate they go through managers is crazy and it won't be long till they're searching for another one. lol

20 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

Sorry guru, I've got to disagree with that. Fletcher chases down lost cause balls, and he's a grafter, put his head in where it hurts on a number of occasions. OK he's no speed merchant, and got injured.. But so did many others, throughout he kept on playing  through necessity  despite this, eventually resulting in the long term one. 

Which begs the question if all fully fit and Hooper and FF get a start and we go three attackers or one front man and two deeper, who is best leading the line? Nuhiu, Joao or Fletcher? 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Agree, Bielsa would appear a big risk. Someone like Bruce or McCarthy would make sense and I would think would be a smarter appointment? Seems like they don't learn, hiring leftfield foreign appointments or names that seem exciting or in-experienced British managers. I think what they really need is an old fashioned no nonsense experienced Championship/promotion manager but for once be patient and to let a manager run things how he wants? The rate they go through managers is crazy and it won't be long till they're searching for another one. lol

Umm wonder who else has done that ? 

26 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Which begs the question if all fully fit and Hooper and FF get a start and we go three attackers or one front man and two deeper, who is best leading the line? Nuhiu, Joao or Fletcher? 

We need back-up in case of inju......(aw phook that)! 

30 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Umm wonder who else has done that ? 

The point is that Bielsa is a big name with pedigree, whereas Carlos and Jos were relative unknowns. In some ways Bielsa would be a bigger risk but automatically expectations will go through the roof which can sometimes be a bad thing. It's been sometime since he was at the levels of his stature suggests. None the less he would be a exciting appointment but an appointment that could backfire. I just think it would make more sense to go for someone like Bruce that knows the League and what it takes to challenge or get promoted. That doesn't mean it won't be a successful appointment but it's one that despite his record would have a fair amount of risk and at a club with a high turnover of managers in recent history is that really what a club like that needs in that situation? 

5 hours ago, Quist said:

I love Bielsa, I do.  Anybody who watched his Chile side will know that that is how you want to play football, what you want to watch and what you don't want to face in a match.  They were absolutely incredible.  Like wasps round a bin at Alton Towers.  The high press, the triggers, the fluidity, the pressure, the effort, the commitment to the brief the coach had given them was just first class.  Coupled with above average players the only thing that Chile didn't do was achieve any notable silverware. 

However, as much as I love the genius that he has brought to the game, I do agree with what Quist has said to a point.  HE does cause upheaval, he is as mad as a bag of frogs and he has no experience of managing in England.  I think it is harsh to say his reputation is based on comments by Guardiola and Pochettino.  I personally was aware of Bielsa and his methods long before Pochettino came to the fore.  I wasn't aware Guardiola was a Bielsa follower until much later.  I had always assumed Guardiola got his schooling from Barcelona. 

In short although I love the fella and what he has given the game, I think his legacy is defined by those that have openly taken his ideas and adapted them to the present.  Pochettino, Guardiola, Klopp, Sampaoli, all successful managers who have taken pieces of his genius and created their own great teams with their own philosophy.

1 minute ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

I'd read that again RT :laugh:

Whoops. That should have read

12 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Not ashamed to admit I’d be very jealous if Bielsa ends up being the next manager to start a 3 month stretch at Leeds. If he gets the time and freedom he could set them up for success in the short and long term. 

• Haha 1

Just noticed a random Penguin-esque name being linked with us and a couple of other Championship clubs via The Sun and SportsMole. Ligue2 Sochaux midfielder Moussa Sao, is reportedly interesting us, Reading and Stoke. Never heard of him before, so maybe it might be more than just agent talk? It says he's a former Futsal star. https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/sochaux/transfer-talk/news/championship-trio-keen-on-sochaux-midfielder-sao_327429.html