#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Lampard now confirmed as new Manager at Derby.

We now await to see how many of Chelsea / Manchester City’s youngsters he manages to take on loan.

was thinking the same. For me this is the only reason they got him in with no experience but first pick of many decent prem reserves.

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Lampard now confirmed as new Manager at Derby.

We now await to see how many of Chelsea / Manchester City’s youngsters he manages to take on loan.

I bet the odds on Derby relegation are slashed to odds on favourite.

Derby are in worse FFP trouble than us, have an aging squad, they sold of the silver ware last season in Ince and Hughes and cannot find anyone willing to take the big earners. 

They have a manager with no managerial experience, never played at Championship level, probably until recently didn't even know the leagues below the Premiership existed.

He will fill the team with Chelsea and West ham loans to cover the fact he does not have a clue what he is doing.

Looking on the bright side though that's one less team for us to worry about next season.garymegson

On 30/05/2018 at 06:23, Rogers said:

I think it was Pennington that got smashed by Nuhiu 

Ah yeah, apologies for that one. Still, I live in the Leeds area and a lot of the Leeds fans think badge kissing aside he's vastly overrated and a little weak against a strong opponent. 

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Who knows may turnout to be a great manager everybody starts off somewhere 

Yep no one has a clue how good a manager he will be. He was a leader of men on the field so that’s a start at least.

He could flop, but he could also have more relevance and understanding to this next generation of footballers to inspire them. To predict he will be a disaster at this stage is a little bold in my opinion.  

I think Lampard is a brilliant appointment. Wish we had shown some imagination like that. Young, ambitious and a direct link to some top class young players at Chelsea. 

Far better option than the merry go round of failed managers at this level. 

• Like 1

He could well turn out to be a top manager, I just think the Derby job might be a step too far. To begin with.

They won't have cash to splash, and he'll need to wheel and deal in the market.

I'm not so sure a team full of kids from Chelsea, City etc are the answer for this league. 

Mick McCarthy would have been ideal for Derby. IMO.

On 30/05/2018 at 12:36, room0035 said:

Didn't Chelsea help us get Hutch a few years back as we enable one of their own get back into football. So we might not quite be blacklisted with them anymore.

Maybe.....

Hutch was loaned before Baker came to us, like a year or so...so maybe the original posters point stands!

Edited by Suzuki_San

13 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Hutch was loaned before Baker came to us, like a year or so...so maybe the original posters point stands!

We made a mistake with Jimmy Smith, Leon Knight was rubbish (which we found out) and Lewis Baker never got a chance but I think it was his attitude at the time. Then we had the good Ben Sahar, Sam Hutchinson and a few others from Chelsea. 

Chelsea though now charge big loan fees for youth players ,so lets develop our own and not bother having to pay thousands each week for a kid that will end up elsewhere.

The article below is 3 years old when we signed Lewis Baker and the list of all the other Chelsea loans at the time, most of the one I recognise are no longer at Chelsea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2903231/Chelsea-sent-30-players-loan-season-Lewis-Baker-s-switch-Sheffield-Wednesday-making-star-midfielder.html 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Derby are in trouble with FFP. Vydra will have to go.

Similar to us in that stuck with some ageing past it big earners. Huddlestone, Jerome, Nugent, Keogh all past their sell by date.

Lampard could be a stroke of genius, but I think he'll be gone by November.

They have made money in transfer fees the last few years to help themselves though.

2016 £14.7m loss (£15m in transfer fees), 2017 £7.8m loss (£17m in transfer fees) 2018 ????

Without the players being sold they would be in trouble and most of the silverware they had, has gone but I would be surprised if Rowett does not return to Derby to sign a few of their players which again will help their bank balance and with FFP. I don't know how good or bad they have done this year but they are a lot better off than we are.