#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

6 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

He can spend 50 million in the summer if he wants as long as he is prepared to accept any consequences that come our way.

Its the big gamble . If he goes for it we MUST be promoted because as i understand it ,if we are in the prem we are safe from EFL punishments for breaching. If DC went for it and we didnt go up , we would be deep in the brown stuff. 

Massive gamble to take. 

59 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Its the big gamble . If he goes for it we MUST be promoted because as i understand it ,if we are in the prem we are safe from EFL punishments for breaching. If DC went for it and we didnt go up , we would be deep in the brown stuff. 

Massive gamble to take. 

We wouldn't ever risk it. my point was there is nothing to stop him doing so if he wishes.

14 hours ago, Watson said:

DC Gambled on promotion in the first two seasons and it very nearly paid off.  

I don't think you are going to be happy with any signings we make (if any), let's hope my outlook is the wrong one.

Ok , thanks. A calculated gamble like Wolves would have been better.

Anyway, going forward, I would really love it if we could find another Brunt, Whelan , Madjic, etc. from EPL rejects.

I personally find this approach - with our kids - a much more wholesome approach.

If we could marry this with 2 real quality signings- Bristol's centre back for eg - would be great. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Ok , thanks. A calculated gamble like Wolves would have been better.

Anyway, going forward, I would really love it if we could find another Brunt, Whelan , Madjic, etc. from EPL rejects.

I personally find this approach - with our kids - a much more wholesome approach.

If we could marry this with 2 real quality signings- Bristol's centre back for eg - would be great. 

I feel a lot of owls fans would be happy enough this summer for us to return to the blue and white stripes and to just sign some promising young players, like Harrison Reed etc. To add to those we already have. Whilst trying to ship out some of the surplus players. 

Okay we may end up being like forest and being stuck in midtable, but I think after this past season that would be alright, maybe

12 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I feel a lot of owls fans would be happy enough this summer for us to return to the blue and white stripes and to just sign some promising young players, like Harrison Reed etc. To add to those we already have. Whilst trying to ship out some of the surplus players. 

Okay we may end up being like forest and being stuck in midtable, but I think after this past season that would be alright, maybe

I agree, but many fans will look and think despite the freeze on ST's we're still paying top dollar for what may be another year of mid table mediocrity. Many will look and think we should be getting more for what we pay. It's a difficult one.

7 minutes ago, marshy said:

I agree, but many fans will look and think despite the freeze on ST's we're still paying top dollar for what may be another year of mid table mediocrity. Many will look and think we should be getting more for what we pay. It's a difficult one.

True, though hopefully most fans are aware of our financial issues this season. As long as we keep our best players we should still be able to challenge at the top half of the table 

It's going to be a VERY interesting pre-season.

Let's face it, no one knows our financial situation, who's going to be leaving the club and who's coming in.

I'd like to think Jos will ship out the players who have been plagued by injury, Matias, Abdi have got to go. Waste of a wage. I know it'll be harder to move these guys on, but im sure some Portuguese or even Chinese team will help us out.

In terms of players coming in, we need fresh face and a new lease of life at the club. Get a new centre midfielder in and get a new centre back in.

A right back would be lovely, as would a left back.

Maybe even a striker IF we can get rid of Fletcher, Rhodes and Winall.

What I'm saying here, is I know nothing but would love some heavy transfer activity.

13 hours ago, Watson said:

90 mins away from it paying off.  Can you imagine how many plaudits he would have got if it had have made it come off? Would have been lauded as the best SWFC Chairperson ever.

Small margins

Your DC's admitted that he was persuaded into signing Rhodes.

Probably against Carlos' wishes , given how he trashed him publicly for bottling the penalty.

Fact is Wolves would make a 200% profit on their big signings if not promoted.

We will lose that, plus wasted wages for a sub.

11 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

True, though hopefully most fans are aware of our financial issues this season. As long as we keep our best players we should still be able to challenge at the top half of the table 

It’s one thing being aware of our final issues, but it’s still hard to take when we are still paying for those mistakes in the transfer market 

Also on the issue of keeping our best players, yes it’s the very least we need to do So now we have a tester Two of, perhaps not our best players, but definitely two we’d surely want to keep are about to leave Sure, we may have made decent offers for them to stay, but if they want to leave, what can we do That’s the point, if a player has only a year left on their contracts, and they won’t renew, we lose them, and we’re still paying the higher ticket prices

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Keep saying it but we don’t need a massive spending spree. The quality is there it just needs utilising properly. I’m excited about what Jo’s can do with a fit squad.

A CB , a CM and a RM. That's all we need.

Others will say more but if we play 3 at the back then that's all we need.

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Keep saying it but we don’t need a massive spending spree. The quality is there it just needs utilising properly. I’m excited about what Jo’s can do with a fit squad.

Absolutely we have a good squad and just need to fill a couple of gaps

4 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

For its simple return to the club colours - that's not the Ipswich kit that the kit my team has always played in. - If they don't then simple fans in their thousands don't buy it this will cost the club millions and they will have no choice but to bring the colour back.

Sign up our best player we have to longer deals the likes of Reach, Joao, Lees, Westwood.

Give our youth a chance or let them go out on loan to play first team football not sit in the stands, so player like Stobbs and Penney need to play or we fine the clubs they go to.

Get rid of the dross - Matias is never going to be fit get rid, the same can be said of Fletcher and Abdi both were very strange mistakes, it is time to offload even if we have to loan out and pay some of the wages. We are carrying too many shirt fillers which may play 15 games a season if we were earning the £100's of millions in the premier league then fine but we are not. So Winnall, Hutch, Jones, Hunt, Fox all need getting rid of the a few additional where we need them or promote youth and give them a chance - I have never been a fan of getting other teams youth in and developing them unless the deal benefits us and young Harrison Reed a central midfielder, what do we do drop Bannan or Lee to play him or stick him out of position on the right just so he plays but at the same time makes the team weaker for a player who will then leave us when we make him better..

Get the above right and don't rip off the fans with prices and merchandise and I would be happy with top 10 with a genuine chance of making the play off.

I have been a very vocal disgruntled fan because of the way we have been treated as a whole for 18 months - I want the team, the manager and the chairman to show I am wrong but the mistakes of the past and there have been many cannot continue - so here is to onward's and upwards.

17 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

So what are the assets that administrators sell off if not players?

I get what you're saying about we don't have to sell but we would. You'd also have players sulking and wanting to leave, it's inevitable.

We don't have administrators... Why do we have administrators?

20 hours ago, room0035 said:

So in your scenario you have broken league rule and continue to break league rules by not trying to reduce your losses, but if you finish in the top 2 the same league is going to allow you to get promoted. Or more likely they will issue you with a points deduction so you miss out on the play off and finish 7th.

You can only only do what you want if you have parachute payments :duntmatter:

Its not a league rule. Its a UEFA initiative. There is no points deduction for it, just a transfer embargo. People seem to be very confused between actually breaking a law and going into administration and FFP. 

5 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Its not a league rule. Its a UEFA initiative. There is no points deduction for it, just a transfer embargo. People seem to be very confused between actually breaking a law and going into administration and FFP. 

No its note the FOOTBALL LEAGUE  implement a transfer embargo if you break the Financial fair play rules

Below are the new rule that came into force from the start of the 2016/17 season for clubs playing in the Championship.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

This is an extract from the new rules, note the points deduction or stopping clubs being promoted. These are not UEFA rule we are governed by UEFA but firstly by the football league I would suggest you have a read of the above article it explains most things.

But what are the potential punishments? Previously the Football League has only been able to either; fine promoted clubs (a fine the Premier League didn’t help them collect), or impose a transfer embargo for historic overspending (which always like a stable-door/horse scenario). With this change, a wide range of punishments are now available. Nothing is off the table; the Football League are now able to impose a points deduction during the current season, or demote a club from an automatic promotion position into the play-offs (or out of the play-offs altogether). Transfer embargoes are also available (with the earliest one potentially applying during the Summer 2017 Transfer window.

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Can anybody post the actual rule of FFP? 

Cos I'm as sure as heck that many people don't know what it says  . I'm one of them. 

Mate see my link above we are not governed by FFP this is a UEFA imitative from the start of the 2016/17 we were governed by the Profitability and Sustainability rules.

In the past all the football league could do is impose fines and transfer embargos if clubs broke the rules which as these club normally get promotion they ignore such as QPR, Portsmouth etc. Or club such as Villa and Newcastle that break the rule with the knowledge they are back in the top flight inside the 3 years.

What the football league can now do (but they need to have the balls which they have proved not to have up to this point) is they can give teams points deductions, prevent promotion and other such methods - would it be great if Villa win the play off final but the football league prevent their promotion on the grounds of the breaking the finance laws only for Fulham to go up as lucky loser - But the Football league up to this point has pretty much done what the premier League tells it 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php 

6 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Your DC's admitted that he was persuaded into signing Rhodes.

Probably against Carlos' wishes , given how he trashed him publicly for bottling the penalty.

Fact is Wolves would make a 200% profit on their big signings if not promoted.

We will lose that, plus wasted wages for a sub.

My DC?  The fans on OT were all for the signing of Rhodes most seemed to be very DC then.

If Wolves had not been promoted then their players would have gone down in value.   So I doubt that they would have made a 200% profit on them. 

For me, DC big mistake was gambling on promotion in two seasons and was prepared once promoted to sell the present squad off cheap or let them kick their heels around, to bring in better players for the Premier.