#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

3 hours ago, Walt said:

Jos has been allowed to sign one player for (very) roughly £500,000 during his time here. It’s a pretty shitty hand he’s been dealt tbf, he inherited a bloated squad with injury concerns which was flirting with a relegation battle. We are now told the squad needs a cull, a squad that is already lacking key components in certain areas. 

If you’re looking from the outside you’d be saying that looks more like a survival battle than one geared towards a promotion push...but it’s the hope that kills you and with a fit squad we are more than capable of a mid table finish, if Jos has the scope to bring in a couple of new players then who knows? Another injury hit campaign and we could be in for a rough ride. 

Risible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Risible.

Didn't Jos inherit an injury plagued squad? Weren't we on the brink of a relegation battle? Has Jos only signed one player? Are we in the process of trying to shed players from the wage bill?

Can't quite see why that's laughable tbh.

1 hour ago, joelswfc said:

Got to give you credit for that mate, great find. Who knows if it means anything but we can dream!!

If we signed Phil Foden - I'd expect to be losing a first team player, I cant see him joining any team as backup. 

Because now the squad isn't as injury plagued. Jos has given increased confidence to several fringe players and has also introduced several promising youngsters, something that Carlos would not do.

I think we could do with a couple of signings but generally we look ok.

Hull City are working on a deal to sign highly-rated young winger Brandon Barker from Manchester City, Alan Nixon of The Sun revealed on Saturday.

Barker, 21, impressed while on loan at Scottish Premiership side Hibernian last season and that has led to a host of clubs expressing interest in the player.

Hibs wanted Barker back, but with so much rival interest have resigned themselves to missing out on the former England under-20 international and are instead in talks for another City winger, Thomas Agyepong.

12 minutes ago, Charlie Chuck said:

Because now the squad isn't as injury plagued. Jos has given increased confidence to several fringe players and has also introduced several promising youngsters, something that Carlos would not do.

I think we could do with a couple of signings but generally we look ok.

Think your responding to my post mate and I generally agree, especially the point on Carlos not picking the fringe players. If we signed two fullbacks / wingbacks I'd be happy with our first eleven, I'd say the bench would look strong as well. Those weaknesses at fullback / wingback just seem to stick out like a spare pr1ck at a wedding.

I wouldn't say the squad isn't as injury plagued, only time will tell regarding that one.

• Thanks 1

If we did sign Foden we could do with losing Jones and Abdi 

Bannan

Pelupessy/Hutch 

Lee

Foden

would be more than enough 

Mason Mount is in the champ so it would make sense for the likes of Foden too. 

It would be good to add them as a means of keeping things fresh. Although we’ve got excited about promising youngsters before like Knight, Watt, Baker etc and it doesn’t always work out. So hopefully we don’t put too much pressure on them if they do come. 

Appreciate we’re probably only able to take what a side is willing to subsidise. But in terms of a centre back I’m not sure we even need someone who’s technically brilliant, rather someone who’s got a bit of experience of the ugly side of the game even if they’re more limited.

Edited by Bluesteel

Just now, joelswfc said:

He also follows Man City youngster Diaz. Maybe he’s just a fan of these exciting youngsters. Or, more optimistically, were signing all 3...!

There was a rumour that we’d lined up a deal with Man City for some young players... maybe in exchange for them taking our youth coaches.. we can dream

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joelswfc said:

He also follows Man City youngster Diaz. Maybe he’s just a fan of these exciting youngsters. Or, more optimistically, were signing all 3...!

So Wolves paid a fee to Jorge Mendes, which allowed them access to loan a wealth of youth.

This season's team, who have purchased Jorge Mendes services is Nottingham Forest, so we'll see a 100% improvement in them this year.

Could we have paid a fee to Manchester City? for first refusal on players sent out on loan?

(one of the benefits of this, being free pitch hire at the Etihad campus lol)