#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

the point of buying new players is to improve the squad and it  seems  we cant afford to buy better than we have then it cant be a surprise that we go with what we have ….

Since the arrival of DC though what percentage of signings would you say have improved the squad? I can see both sides of the argument to be fair.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

the point of buying new players is to improve the squad and it  seems  we cant afford to buy better than we have then it cant be a surprise that we go with what we have ….

Surely there has to be better than Morgan Fox available for not to high a fee. There must be a couple of youngsters from Prem teams available on loan that would improve us. The fact it looks like we can’t afford to sign even one player with the ridiculous price of match day tickets/shirts etc just doesn’t seem right imo. 

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

Since the arrival of DC though what percentage of signings would you say have improved the squad? I can see both sides of the argument to be fair.

The real question to be asked is, "What percentage of signings over the past two years have improved the first eleven?"  IMO very minimal improvement on the team that was beaten at Wembley in spite of the millions spent.

11 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

From a different perspective, since DC arrived, here is a list of players who have been replaced ...

Bus, Buxton, Coke, Corry, Dielna, Kelhar, Maghoma, Maguire, Mattock, May, McCabe, Melo, Lavery, Price, Vermijl, Zayatte

I would say a high percentage of signings over the past three years would be considered an improvement on most of them

11 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

"What percentage of signings over the past two years have improved the first eleven?"

Is the better question IMO - answer: Too few  :sad:

51 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Kinda old news but you wonder if we’ll go back with another bid closer to the deadline day...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/22/darragh-macanthony-confirms-sheffield-wednesday-interest-in-jack/

We have been constantly linked with players from West Ham, Peterborough, and Sunderland. This suggests to me that clubs trying to whip up demand for player or auction them off.

This player got dropped from Peterboroughs team last season and placed on transfer list due to poor form. Then we are told Jos was impressed by him (not sure when) just sounds far fetched and somebody trying to drum up an auction. Think truth is their club secretary rang our club secretary and said we have striker for sale our club secretary said no we are looking for a centre back and they said we have one of the for sale too.

2 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

From a different perspective, since DC arrived, here is a list of players who have been replaced ...

Bus, Buxton, Coke, Corry, Dielna, Kelhar, Maghoma, Maguire, Mattock, May, McCabe, Melo, Lavery, Price, Vermijl, Zayatte

I would say a high percentage of signings over the past three years would be considered an improvement on most of them

Is the better question IMO - answer: Too few  :sad:

When you look at that list, yes you can’t deny that most signings are an improvement on what we’ve lost In terms of cost though, oh dear In that context, most of the £30m+ plus signings of the last TWO seasons, have been nothing short of disastrous Proper lottery winner spending, in my opinion

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Bristol City set to complete £1.5m deal for Cheltenham's Mo Eisa after striker's stunning 25-goal campaign

The 24-year-old missed Saturday's friendly defeat by Birmingham to hold talks

Eisa scored 25 goals last season and won the club's player of the year award

Could be a good investment . Apparently his stock is rising. 

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Not even being linked with any names at the minute. Even a few made up rumours in the media would add a little bit of excitement to a disappointing lack of transfer activity. 

Im even starting to miss the Penguins made up bullshine . At least he threw names into the ring , even though we knew he was talking crap. lol

Unless we’ve changed our minds, we will be signing players, but those will probably loans Jos has already suggested we will be looking at Premier League youngsters 

Well, I’m happy with that. 

What it does mean though, that theres probably nothing in these Baldwin, Hugill rumours, who don’t fall into that category

Edited by gurujuan

3 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Why do we get no updates from Chansiri  ,No statements from the club ,FFP how does it effect the club ?, Will some of our star players be sold ? If it has to be ,Get on with it ,But at least tell us something .

Statements about what !?   Been under an embargo is nowt but a rumour,  he’s already said we was close to FFP limits and he wouldn’t exactly be strengthening his hand in potential sales would he if he came out and said were up the creek 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Statements about what !?   Been under an embargo is nowt but a rumour,  he’s already said we was close to FFP limits and he wouldn’t exactly be strengthening his hand in potential sales would he if he came out and said were up the creek 

That's what I mean ,An update let us know something ,Embargo Forest had it .Derby had to sell Will Hughes to avoid it .We are kept in the dark .Pay your money and turn up keep quite .

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

True, but it depends what the aim is If it’s all about consolidation, and reducing the size of the squad, then I’m sure he’ll be

safe However, if Mr C still harbours thoughts of promotion this season, then who knows what he might do

Jos has been allowed to sign one player for (very) roughly £500,000 during his time here. It’s a pretty shitty hand he’s been dealt tbf, he inherited a bloated squad with injury concerns which was flirting with a relegation battle. We are now told the squad needs a cull, a squad that is already lacking key components in certain areas. 

If you’re looking from the outside you’d be saying that looks more like a survival battle than one geared towards a promotion push...but it’s the hope that kills you and with a fit squad we are more than capable of a mid table finish, if Jos has the scope to bring in a couple of new players then who knows? Another injury hit campaign and we could be in for a rough ride. 

6 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Why do we get no updates from Chansiri  ,No statements from the club ,FFP how does it effect the club ?, Will some of our star players be sold ? If it has to be ,Get on with it ,But at least tell us something .

I suppose he’s already told us Keep paying the higher prices, and he will continue with the same level of investment

For me anyway, reducing the size of the squad makes sense, for several reasons 

However, I don’t expect us to start selling the likes of Forestieri, Joao, Bannan etc 

Were that to happen, public opinion might change towards Mr C

2 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

That's what I mean ,An update let us know something ,Embargo Forest had it .Derby had to sell Will Hughes to avoid it .We are kept in the dark .Pay your money and turn up keep quite .

Problem is we’re essentially playing a game of poker. If we did have to sell to avoid ffp and we came out and said so we’d be showing our hand, putting us in a weaker bargaining position.

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

He's had a serious knee injury, sounds like our sort of player. TBF he's only 25 and he was the club captain. You have to ask why he was transfer listed though. He only made eight appearances last season, which is worrying.

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

But he can play 3 positions so that may be why he's fancied.

Centre back, defensive midfield and third treatment table on the left.lol

• Haha 2