#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Not an expert with the FFP situation, so hopefully someone can enlighten me, but if we weren’t to sell anyone (or sign anyone) would we be okay? 

i dont think so no, i think we need a few high earners to leave or make a huge profit from selling one or two of our best players, unfortunately no one knows how close we are to breaching FFP

15 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Not an expert with the FFP situation, so hopefully someone can enlighten me, but if we weren’t to sell anyone (or sign anyone) would we be okay? 

I genuinely don't think it is as bad as is reported, or maybe I am being  naive. Although wages are a concern, we seem to have got reasonable bargains in terms of transfer fees, DC seems a strong negotiator. We also have other elements up our sleeve such as ground sponsorship etc, if he wishes DC could sell the shirt sponsorship externally and transfer his investment to Ground Sponsorship to raise £1-1.5m per season?

Our saving grace is the number of players out of contract next year, could realistically reduce the wage bill by £10-12m overnight if all/most released as would be expected. Add to that, we have already released two predicted high earners this summer with an estimated saving of £1.5m?

I suspect the silence from the club is more to do with driving deals to our advantage in the transfer market, rather than panic over FFP and that said it is still very early, only a handful of deals have been concluded to date. We do need to sell some players though, we haven't really done that for 3 years and need to move a few on if possible. Expect most of our in-comings to be loans and the next major stage of investment in terms of transfer fees to be 2019.

Nothing wrong with balancing the books, but don't think that equates to a financial issue on the scale of Villa for example re FFP.

10 minutes ago, striker said:

I genuinely don't think it is as bad as is reported, or maybe I am being  naive. Although wages are a concern, we seem to have got reasonable bargains in terms of transfer fees, DC seems a strong negotiator. We also have other elements up our sleeve such as ground sponsorship etc, if he wishes DC could sell the shirt sponsorship externally and transfer his investment to Ground Sponsorship to raise £1-1.5m per season?

Our saving grace is the number of players out of contract next year, could realistically reduce the wage bill by £10-12m overnight if all/most released as would be expected. Add to that, we have already released two predicted high earners this summer with an estimated saving of £1.5m?

I suspect the silence from the club is more to do with driving deals to our advantage in the transfer market, rather than panic over FFP and that said it is still very early, only a handful of deals have been concluded to date. We do need to sell some players though, we haven't really done that for 3 years and need to move a few on if possible. Expect most of our in-comings to be loans and the next major stage of investment in terms of transfer fees to be 2019.

Nothing wrong with balancing the books, but don't think that equates to a financial issue on the scale of Villa for example re FFP.

That makes sense. My understanding is that the league firstly want to see that a club actually has a plan to get costs under control. The number of players out of contract next summer could effectively do that for us. Punishment is the option when clubs ignore what they are being told. I’m confident that theclub will be well aware of what needs to be done, and by how much. Don’t think we will see massive spending this summer, but similarly I don’t think we will be selling the jewels just yet.....unless the likes of BB have indicated they won’t be staying after next season in which case it makes sense to sell now.

2 hours ago, GEE said:

i dont think so no, i think we need a few high earners to leave or make a huge profit from selling one or two of our best players, unfortunately no one knows how close we are to breaching FFP

I think they renegotiated after the no show at Norwich

2 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Not if we are still losing £20 million a year.

If we neither buy nor sell, we need to flog 40,000 season tickets to be ok this season, FFP -wise. 

2 hours ago, striker said:

Understand what you are saying but DC is anything but a strong negotiator we have over paid for too many player while he has been looking after the reigns. Hopefully he will have less involvement in this now Keiren is at the club.

The most important things is to get players like Bannan, Westwood, Reach signed up to longer deals, if we lose them next summer for free then we need to find £10m+ to replace them or go with kids and free agents which we have done since leaving the premier league but not at the prices we are paying now.

I hope we can move Adbi, Matias, Fletcher, Jones and Rhodes on if we can either loan out or find clubs stupid enough to take these players on, the saving in wages alone could be anywhere from £120k-£200k a week depending where you read. None of them will be missed as none of them have added anything to the club so would not need replacing and may free up a bit of space to add on or two loans. 

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

That makes sense. My understanding is that the league firstly want to see that a club actually has a plan to get costs under control. The number of players out of contract next summer could effectively do that for us. Punishment is the option when clubs ignore what they are being told. I’m confident that theclub will be well aware of what needs to be done, and by how much. Don’t think we will see massive spending this summer, but similarly I don’t think we will be selling the jewels just yet.....unless the likes of BB have indicated they won’t be staying after next season in which case it makes sense to sell now.

Think you could be right. There was a rumour going round a while ago that certain clubs in the championship had, had to show plans to get costs under control to satisfy Profit and Sustainability rules.

I presume if true we were one of these clubs.

22 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Think you could be right. There was a rumour going round a while ago that certain clubs in the championship had, had to show plans to get costs under control to satisfy Profit and Sustainability rules.

I presume if true we were one of these clubs.

Quite probably and from what we know of Mr C he seems a very honest person, so I’m confident if we are he will work within the rules, which may be what his comments about only being able to put so much in? Maybe the wiggle room with naming rights etc will be saved for if and when we really need it. Most of our targets are probably at the World Cup anyway. Joking!

8 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Can't see us paying a million 

True, but as I understand we are only constrained  by FFP according to DC. Good age to develop and the fee amortised over a 4 year contract would be feasible notwithstanding scope to negotiate in our favour  I would have thought?

I came across this earlier - did know it had happened but with our links in Portugal would we be able to sign any of these free transfers should they be allowed to stay that way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158 - Gelson Martins/Daneil Podence both looks decent wing players but presumably will end up both out of reach for us.

Edited by room0035

18 minutes ago, striker said:

True, but as I understand we are only constrained  by FFP according to DC. Good age to develop and the fee amortised over a 4 year contract would be feasible notwithstanding scope to negotiate in our favour  I would have thought?

Guessing the fee would be set by tribunal. Good point on the amortisation. Puts a million quid into perspective.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Guessing the fee would be set by tribunal. Good point on the amortisation. Puts a million quid into perspective.

As it not a transfer fee but a compensationary fee can it be treated the same way - honestly don't know but would be useful to know.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

As it not a transfer fee but a compensationary fee can it be treated the same way - honestly don't know but would be useful to know.

Good question - it seems more likely that a tribunal fee would be all upfront as we wouldn’t be negotiating with the ‘selling’ club but I’ve no idea either. 

45 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I came across this earlier - did know it had happened but with our links in Portugal would we be able to sign any of these free transfers should they be allowed to stay that way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158 - Gelson Martins/Daneil Podence both looks decent wing players but presumably will end up both out of reach for us.

Probably end up at Forest

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Martins linked with Arsenal.

8 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Our ratio of good to bobar of Portuguese players isn't great is it.

Joao ok

Matias ok when fit

Melo poor

Semedo good for L1 and a club legend

Amado had one game at Stocksbridge which was enough to make him homesick

Rafael Flores poor

Any others I have missed?

Venancio 

25 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Our ratio of good to bobar of Portuguese players isn't great is it.

Joao ok

Matias ok when fit

Melo poor

Semedo good for L1 and a club legend

Amado had one game at Stocksbridge which was enough to make him homesick

Rafael Flores poor

Any others I have missed?

Who on earth is that?

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2018 at 17:06, room0035 said:

Sheff Utd making good use of the loan market again, I wonder what will be the standard of loan players we bring in if any this season. Loans if done correctly are a very good way to stay within FFP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44525272

They are having to loan keepers because their own are bobbar. I wouldn't say that's good use!