#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

The below is a good read and explains the new football league rules re Profit and Sustainability - in the past they have only had the powers to fine club from 2016/17 that is now all change.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/-profit-and-sustainability-ffp-tests-in-championship-2016-17

An extract from the above article states the changes to punishments

But what are the potential punishments? Previously the Football League has only been able to either; fine promoted clubs (a fine the Premier League didn’t help them collect), or impose a transfer embargo for historic overspending (which always like a stable-door/horse scenario). With this change, a wide range of punishments are now available. Nothing is off the table; the Football League are now able to impose a points deduction during the current season, or demote a club from an automatic promotion position into the play-offs (or out of the play-offs altogether). Transfer embargoes are also available (with the earliest one potentially applying during the Summer 2017 Transfer window.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Sheff Utd making good use of the loan market again, I wonder what will be the standard of loan players we bring in if any this season. Loans if done correctly are a very good way to stay within FFP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44525272

Behave, dem blades have now loaned goalies 2 seasons running,don't see how that is "good use", there outfield loanees weren't upto much last season. 

Players back training next Monday and not one bit of business has taken place that we have heard about , a very long summer awaits .

If we lose Bannan and Forestieri that will be a big blow , just got to hope their replacements (if any) are of similar ability.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don't think points deduction has been set as a precedent, so I can't see that happening. So far, clubs have received transfer embargos and fines (though I don't think QPR have paid that fine yet - last I saw they were fighting against it from 4/5 years ago). If we are fined, so what, Mr Chansiri is minted and promotion will dwarf the fine - I think QPR's fine is £11m. A transfer embargo - by us trying to stay within FFP, we are effectively in a transfer embargo anyway as we won't be bringing in quality players because we are near the £39m limit.

The important thing to remember is, unlike when we had our trip to the High Court, is any debt is debt to himself - not the Co-op Bank, not to the Inland Revenue. Mr Chansiri has already invested (if memory serves me correctly) in excess of £120m (purchase, training/stadium upgrades, players/salaries, sponsorship, etc.) and any money that is borrowed is from himself - which I'm sure would be turned into equity within the club. So, he has three options.

1. Keep investing sensibly with a clear and realistic goal of promotion. Given the way the Championship is going, there is a very good chance we'll need to either get lucky or break FFP for that to happen.

2. Sell us on - if he can get a buyer - and get as much money back as possible (won't be anywhere near what he's laid out, so he'll make a substantial loss).

3. Cease/massively reduce investment and be left with a rather expense Championship club, which might yo-yo to League One, with no hope of getting anywhere near his investment back.

I think he's in danger of number 3, yet wanting Premier League football.

With regards to your last sentence - that's what we'd all like. But, even with a decent squad already, when other Championship clubs blow us out of the water with their spending, then it becomes increasing more difficult to get promotion with budget balancing. Cardiff (who spent similar in wages to us last year I believe) and Huddersfield are two "against the odds" examples from recent years, but they aren't the norm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/24/qpr-ordered-pay-world-record-40million-ffp-fine-losing-three/

The likes of QPR, Leicester and Bournemouth all ran afoul of various EFL financial rules and regulations, but it didn't matter to them because the transgressions were only dealt with after promotion, at which point they'd already achieved their objective of Premier League football and were swimming in cash, meaning that fines didn't matter to them and the EFL couldn't dock them points.

Sadly if we run afoul of the rules I don't think we'll be so lucky.

Supposedly we're interested in Hull City's Max Clark a left back. Anyone know how good he is? Us, Forest and Vitesse Arnhem are mentioned to be interested. If he goes to Vitesse they will get around £400,000 in compensation but if he goes to another football league club they will get around £1million according to this article: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/max-clark-preparing-walk-away-1689701

17 hours ago, Watto said:

Players back training next Monday and not one bit of business has taken place that we have heard about , a very long summer awaits .

If we lose Bannan and Forestieri that will be a big blow , just got to hope their replacements (if any) are of similar ability.

But we haven't lost BB and FF, and it's only 19th June.

Calm down, FFS.

Guest wilyfox

If we are offloading any, need outgoings to happen first.

We don't want to fill positions with modest signings, then sell valuable players and wish we'd bought better. 

17 hours ago, Watto said:

Didn't Forestieri have his contract extended and improved,can others afford his wages is the question