#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

6 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

For me the hardest to replace is Forestieri, purely because he gets you on the edge of your seat. With savvy work in the transfer market we can replace the likes of Lees and Bannan and already have a ready-made replacement in Dawson for Westwood (albeit lacking in experience). Let's face it, nobody really knew Lees or Bannan would be as good as they were when they signed for us for virtually nothing so there's no reason we can't do the same again. It's all about getting the money that these players are worth - if sold.

We cant replace him mate ,It will be a case of changing football style.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

We cant replace him mate ,It will be a case of changing football style.

True but we had to do that for most of last season. I personally think Jos would prefer a more rigid style so Forestieri may prefer a move for more freedom. Not saying it's happening, just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world. Every club has times of evolution when managers change. Jos hasn't had a chance to dip into the market too much as yet.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we’d hear about incomings before they are sold. To offset the negative feedback 

Think we will try to offload whoever we need to as soon as then say to Jos this is what money you have to play with.

7 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

For me the hardest to replace is Forestieri, purely because he gets you on the edge of your seat. With savvy work in the transfer market we can replace the likes of Lees and Bannan and already have a ready-made replacement in Dawson for Westwood (albeit lacking in experience). Let's face it, nobody really knew Lees or Bannan would be as good as they were when they signed for us for virtually nothing so there's no reason we can't do the same again. It's all about getting the money that these players are worth - if sold.

You simply cannot replace FF....the rest including bannan are all bog standard players.

Obviously not big Dave tho! 

Just now, meggoisgod said:

You simply cannot replace FF....the rest including bannan are all bog standard players.

Obviously not big Dave tho! 

In fact FF is the ONLY player in the squad that made me fork out half a grand for a ST. If he left I'd be gutted

52 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think we will try to offload whoever we need to as soon as then say to Jos this is what money you have to play with.

Yeah behind closed doors you need to work out who can go out for how much and who can come in as a result. But I don’t think players will be moved on without replacements lined up unless they are truly in the unwanted list 

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

James Maddison to Leicester £22 mill. Let's see if Norwich want to invest some of that in Boyd & Jones.

:duntmatter:

They were linked early doors with a loan move for Rhodes though. Wonder if that might happen now they have some cash to spend 

13 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

They were linked early doors with a loan move for Rhodes though. Wonder if that might happen now they have some cash to spend 

Also sold Watkins to Bristol, brought in £32m or thereabouts now so could be an option if they are actually interested in Rhodes. 

If invested wisely, Norwich could be contenders, given a few 'big name' clubs apparently hamstrung by FFP next season?

23 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Football has always found a way to kick Wednesday in the balls, certainly since I’ve been following them. 

Whether it’s the obscene premier league money that started to be given out since 2000 after we got relegated, as well as the parachute payments we missed out on, to nowadays when having a sugar daddy owner doesn’t help because there’s a limit to how much of his own money he can spend

Mr Chansiri can, of course, decide not to play by the financial restrictions, but he is choosing to. My immediate thought is that because he believes in fair practice and abiding by the regulations, or is he up to the limit he's prepared to invest and FFP (S&P) is an ideal thing to hide behind?

I have to say if I had invested as much as Mr Chansiri has so far, and wanted to spend more to give us the best possible chance of promotion, then I'd be spending what the hell I liked regardless of financial restrictions set by the league.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

34 minutes ago, striker said:

Also sold Watkins to Bristol, brought in £32m or thereabouts now so could be an option if they are actually interested in Rhodes. 

If invested wisely, Norwich could be contenders, given a few 'big name' clubs apparently hamstrung by FFP next season?

they are on a massive cost cutting exercise as they wont be getting parachute payments anymore. reports from last November say that two thirds of their income was from parachute payments with the wage bill of about 40m

can't see huge investment on transfer fees

15 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

they are on a massive cost cutting exercise as they wont be getting parachute payments anymore. reports from last November say that two thirds of their income was from parachute payments with the wage bill of about 40m

can't see huge investment on transfer fees

Didn't think they were that reliant on parachute payments, don't seem to recall that they were that active in the market although must admit apart from twice a season don't particularly pay much attention to them. Maybe a loan deal would suit both parties anyway for Rhodes?

39 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Mr Chansiri can, of course, decide not to play by the financial restrictions, but he is choosing to. My immediate thought is that because he believes in fair practice and abiding by the regulations, or is he up to the limit he's prepared to invest and FFP (S&P) is an ideal thing to hide behind?

I have to say if I had invested as much as Mr Chansiri has so far, and wanted to spend more to give us the best possible chance of promotion, then I'd be spending what the hell I liked regardless of financial restrictions set by the league.

I see what you're saying but it's not as simple as that. If we go balls deep and don't get promotion we could face a fine or points deduction depending on severity. What if Mr Chansiri spends another 30 million and we fail? He may decide to sell us for a loss or leave us with a debt. I'm not keen to see another winding up order or or trip to the high court.

Sensible recruitment and budget balancing is now needed. We still have a decent squad.

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

3 hours ago, striker said:

£32m.  Prices are getting stupid these days

53 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

£32m.  Prices are getting stupid these days

Which is why if we ever wanted to sell one of our better players we could expect to get in excess of £10 million for them. Hopefully Katrien is our version of Daniel Levy and any potential buyer will get rinsed for all we can squeeze out of them.

On 17/06/2018 at 16:04, Arcadianrocket said:

One I have been told is Oliver Burke swap season long loan with Rhodes.

Heard variation on this it was Bannan for Burke and personally would not mind if that exchange took place. Especially if Lee gets back to best.

3 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I see what you're saying but it's not as simple as that. If we go balls deep and don't get promotion we could face a fine or points deduction depending on severity. What if Mr Chansiri spends another 30 million and we fail? He may decide to sell us for a loss or leave us with a debt. I'm not keen to see another winding up order or or trip to the high court.

Sensible recruitment and budget balancing is now needed. We still have a decent squad.

I don't think points deduction has been set as a precedent, so I can't see that happening. So far, clubs have received transfer embargos and fines (though I don't think QPR have paid that fine yet - last I saw they were fighting against it from 4/5 years ago). If we are fined, so what, Mr Chansiri is minted and promotion will dwarf the fine - I think QPR's fine is £11m. A transfer embargo - by us trying to stay within FFP, we are effectively in a transfer embargo anyway as we won't be bringing in quality players because we are near the £39m limit.

The important thing to remember is, unlike when we had our trip to the High Court, is any debt is debt to himself - not the Co-op Bank, not to the Inland Revenue. Mr Chansiri has already invested (if memory serves me correctly) in excess of £120m (purchase, training/stadium upgrades, players/salaries, sponsorship, etc.) and any money that is borrowed is from himself - which I'm sure would be turned into equity within the club. So, he has three options.

1. Keep investing sensibly with a clear and realistic goal of promotion. Given the way the Championship is going, there is a very good chance we'll need to either get lucky or break FFP for that to happen.

2. Sell us on - if he can get a buyer - and get as much money back as possible (won't be anywhere near what he's laid out, so he'll make a substantial loss).

3. Cease/massively reduce investment and be left with a rather expense Championship club, which might yo-yo to League One, with no hope of getting anywhere near his investment back.

I think he's in danger of number 3, yet wanting Premier League football.

With regards to your last sentence - that's what we'd all like. But, even with a decent squad already, when other Championship clubs blow us out of the water with their spending, then it becomes increasing more difficult to get promotion with budget balancing. Cardiff (who spent similar in wages to us last year I believe) and Huddersfield are two "against the odds" examples from recent years, but they aren't the norm.