#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

Problem with an embargo is you have your pants pulled down. Yes we will have a few players worth cashing in on but clubs will know this and offer well below the asking price knowing we'd need to sell. If we don't sell you can be sure the dressing room morale will fall as player(s) head will drop.

Wolves have just laughed in the face of FFP so the question we have to ask is. Do we go ship or bust? 

If we can get 6 for Rhodes, 3 for Westwood, 2 for Winnall and offload Fletcher, Jones, Abdi on freebies the wage bill will be a lot healthier. 

Buy in some pace and power from Dutch / German leagues and go for it. 

HMSPTL sets sail trying to avoid the icebergs where possible. 

PS we'll also get a few mill for Hirst if it goes to tribunal 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Hirst

6 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Wolves have just laughed in the face of FFP so the question we have to ask is. Do we go ship or bust? 

If we can get 6 for Rhodes, 3 for Westwood, 2 for Winnall and offload Fletcher, Jones, Abdi on freebies the wage bill will be a lot healthier. 

Nice idea, think westwood sale is realistic (we are open to offers for Rhodes) and Winnall to Derby is possible if they dont go up. 

As for the others, suspect we would have to give them away for free AND subsidise some of their wage to offload them. I think we are stuck with them until their contract ends,  in Fletchers case potentially can still contribute though?

Think we will have to adjust expectations, next season will be one of transition, top 10 finish and anywhere near the play offs would be a bonus.

I struggle with the concept of Fletcher, Rhodes and Abdil leaving. Fletcher is on circa 40 k is he not?

Who on earth is going to be happy to match that. He'd have to take a drop. Chances are that once fit he'll be in or around the side unless told otherwise.

Rhodes, again on big wages. There would have to be a compromise. Abdi, well what the hell is going off there is anyone's guess. I can however see one of Westwood, Bazza, or Fessi, leaving, and that is a worry. More so the latter  two. They'd cost a fortune to replace.

2 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

2 for Winnall? Gary Madine went to Cardiff for 6.

I wouldnt want you anywhere near our outgoing transfer negotiations.

2x cruciate ligament injuries will put off any suitor and bring the market value right down. 

8 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Not sure we will get a few million. I reckon it will probably be 1-2 million with the rest based on future exploits so we probably won’t see that for some time.

You also can’t just offload the likes of Fletcher and Abdi on freebies as they’re under contract and nobody will want to pick up their wage I’m sure (especially in Abdi’s case) so think we’re either stuck with them or if they do go we’d have to subsidise wages for the remainder of their contract here.

Love your positivity though....A+

Edited by Junk Smuggler

Perhaps being very optimistic here, but do we really need wholesale changes this summer? The kids coming through have been a real bonus, plus those coming back fresh in pres season will be a major boost. There will be a few released whose contracts are up which will free up wages for the couple of signings we need. Don’t think it’s as concerning as some on here would have you believe.

Jos talking in his press conference wants to look within first to see which of the youth players can become first team regulars, then he will focus recruitment on Championship and Premier League U23 players, presumably to plug the gaps. 

He has recognised the importance of experience in this league but still focusing very much on youth with ability to develop. This makes the link with Honeyman credible and indicates the type of business we will look to do? I think we have also proved that if good enough, we will play younger players and expect us to use the loan market with much greater effectiveness to access the Premier League u23's he mentioned, now they can have trust that their players will get a game. 

Think this is very good news and a shrewd decision, he also spoke about recognising quality and referenced the spine of the team in Lees, BB and FF so looks like our squad will be much more balanced next season.

I think we need to be patient, we are not used to long term thinking at our club, but personally I am much more excited about this approach than paying extortionate amounts for 'named' players based on past reputation and very much looking  forward to seeing what we do this summer.

Realistically, you'd want rid of Jones, Abdi, Fox, Palmer, Kean + majority of others who are out of contract, would only keep Pudil & Nuhiu..

You could add one or two more to that list, IF you really wanted to be cut-throat - Fletcher, Matias,

+ players back in from the cold who've not featured much this season - Hutch, Lee, Hooper, Van Aken, with a few of the youth players who've come through this season and it doesn't look too bad.

Need a very intensive pre-Season to get players fit & firing from the off..

5 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

Realistically, you'd want rid of Jones, Abdi, Fox, Palmer, Kean + majority of others who are out of contract, would only keep Pudil & Nuhiu..

You could add one or two more to that list, IF you really wanted to be cut-throat - Fletcher, Matias,

+ players back in from the cold who've not featured much this season - Hutch, Lee, Hooper, Van Aken, with a few of the youth players who've come through this season and it doesn't look too bad.

Need a very intensive pre-Season to get players fit & firing from the off..

This. We have the spine coming back, we seem to have some great youngsters coming through. Couple of good loan signings coming in. From what I’ve read about Jo’s this is very much his mo. 

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of Westwood. Best keeper we’ve had

I can never understand this either, he seems to crop up on a lot of peoples lists.

If FF can take the form and focus of his few comeback games into next season he could be a very, very important player indeed and virtually irreplaceable, one that needs to kept at all costs.

I am really concerned that we appear to be looking at players who we have not previously had on loan.

Surely everyone on Owlstalk knows that we should only speculate on loanees and people with familial links to the club?

3 hours ago, George said:

I am really concerned that we appear to be looking at players who we have not previously had on loan.

Surely everyone on Owlstalk knows that we should only speculate on loanees and people with familial links to the club?

Agreed. When's Connor wickham fit?

6 hours ago, Rogers said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of Westwood. Best keeper we’ve had

Quite straightforward really. Big wages, questionable fitness, 2 good young keepers at the club and he will fetch a few quid. Couple all this with the fact that keepers are quite easy to get on loan means it's a no brainier for me. 2 of our very best keepers in recent times, Turner and Carson, were loan signings. 

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Perhaps being very optimistic here, but do we really need wholesale changes this summer? The kids coming through have been a real bonus, plus those coming back fresh in pres season will be a major boost. There will be a few released whose contracts are up which will free up wages for the couple of signings we need. Don’t think it’s as concerning as some on here would have you believe.

The young players coming through has been the only good thing about this season. Watching a player develop is a lot more enjoyable than watching one get to the end of his career and fall to bits.